New Electronics

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My old Garmin 235 Sounder finally died this spring and I took the opportunity to replace it with some up to date electronics. I also decided to improve the looks of the helm by flush mounting the new chartplotter/sounder.

As you can tell, the old "glove box" was a great place to toss keys, iPod, phone, wallet, etc. but it did make for a very cluttered look. The Garmin was mounted on a gimbal to the left.

Here's a typical before shot of the helm:

DPP_000001-1.jpg

After a lot of research into exactly what I could fit into the space I had to work with I decided on a Garmin 740s. I made a template of foam-core poster board from Staples that's easy to trim to size. I mounted the plotter for a dry fit before cutting up a piece of $$$ King Starboard.

IMG_0384.jpg

The Seafoam colored starboard blended nicely with the colors and I attached from behind the helm by dropping the hinged glove box. I toyed with the idea of removing the door and fitting the panel to the front but decided that the door provided a little more protection from the weather and maybe some extra security. I really liked the cleaned up look of the unit.

IMG_0389.jpg

I was so pleased with the 740s that I decided since I still had a lot of real estate I would purchase a 720 to use for charting and the 740s as my fishfinder. This really fills the space and I don't have to use the split screen to see charts/fish finder. I also added the Garmin fuel flow meter and a new Standard Horizon VHF with AIS. Next will come radar and I should be set.

IMG_0410.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nice....
How did you fasten the starboard from behind? L brackets?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On the bottom I screwed into plywood that makes up the helm and on the top I replaced a screw in each of the smoke glass door hinges with a really long machine screw that holds the top in place.

The panel is really solid and I think improves the look of the helm so much. Not sure why Grady doesn't redesign since the plotters have such bigger screens these days.

I kicked around the idea of glassine in the entire opening and mounting a much larger plotter but took the easier way out. I think it works with two units.