New Electronics

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Presently have Navnet system which is over 18 years old. Want to upgrade electronics . Looking for some suggestions boat is a 265 Express.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I just installed new Raymarine stuff in my 265. 12" in the dash panel, and a 9" in the overhead.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Presently have Navnet system which is over 18 years old. Want to upgrade electronics . Looking for some suggestions boat is a 265 Express.
Where are you? Type of use for the boat. Fisherman? Light duty or serious?

1997 268 Islander. I'm all Garmin. Everything good! 8612xsv, 8610xsv, GMR 18 Fantom Radar 40W, GPS24xd, Fusion MS-RA770. Garmin Navionics Vision+ charts. Florida sailfishing.

We use the Furuno equipment on the tournament boat. It's has lots of dials to turn. Great stuff but for my use case its overkill.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Gutted everything and went with all Raymarine when I did mine a couple years ago. Pair of 12" Axioms in the dash (one Pro, one regular), Quantum wi-fi Radar (never had any connection issues), new AP setup, dual sounders, dual networks (RayNet and SeTalkNG), etc. Added a FLIR a year later. Very happy with the whole setup. Looked at Garmin as well given their reputation with easy user interface but ultimately ended up with Raymarine as I was more confident of their 12" displays fitting within our console arrangement (wider vice taller) with less cutting.
1686310959471.jpeg
1686310984761.jpeg

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Honestly - any of the 'big 4' will be fine - (Raymarine, Simrad, Garmin, or Furuno) Some of it comes down to budget, a lot comes down to need (number and size of displays, add ons and other bells and whistles), and finally, which one is most intuitive for you. My boat has Raymarine, but that is largely due to A) that is what was on the boat when I bought it, and B) the radar and sonar happened to be forward compatible, so I could upgrade over time. Ironically, I found Raymarine the most difficult to use at first, but have no issues now. If you have an opportunity to, try to test drive some of the systems you are considering. After buying my boat in July, I was at the Newport boat show in Sept and got to go hands on with all 4. Initially, I still found Raymarine to be the least intuitive. That said, with some time in the saddle, I'm very happy with how it works, and have upgraded from very old to much newer screens.

It is very much a Ford / Chevy thing.