New Electronics

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Replacing present electronics ( Furuno) after 18 years. Question new Garmin dome will not align with present holes on hardtop. How do I fill in after taking off old dome? Any help

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Could you make a bracket to fit the current holes on the hardtop from the old unit and then have the holes on the top of the bracket fit the new Garmin radar?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Had the same problem when I replaced my Furuno with a Garmin GMR18 closed dome. Made a round piece of starboard - rectangular would be ok too. Installed blind stainless nuts in it so it could be bolted on from under the hardtop. Made the new holes for the Garmin in the starboard (use 1/2" material) and recessed them for the Garmin hardware. You could use flathead bolts instead but I think they are metric so you would have to order them in.

Last year I refinished the hardtop and installed a new Garmin Fathom GMR18. Old holes filled and new ones made.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The top gets hidden by the radar so you don’t really need the starboard. Fill the holes and re-drill I added a 4” mount to raise it higher than the bubble. By the book you don’t want it radiating through your electronics box. You could program a no radiate sector. I think most guy just slap it up there and live with it

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The starboard let's you use the old holes from underneath the hardtop. Purely a cosmetic issue if that stuff bothers you (It bothers me!). Starboard isn't that noticeable from up top.

You might be able to find a ScanStrut base that matches the Furuno. But that may not adapt to the Garmin GMR base.