New enclosure for my 228

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I just got photos from the installer and can't wait to see it. After much consternation I went with hard .060 polycarbonate front panels that flip up / zip/snap out vs roll up zips, the rest of it is. .040 strataglass with roll up side U's and roll up / removable 3 panel back. Also getting pricing on screens for the front and back panels for camping in buggy areas.
After 25 years in my 17' Montauk I'm really looking forward to being warm and DRY!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201019-170834_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201019-170834_Gallery.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20201019-170750_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201019-170750_Gallery.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

HMBJack

Reaction score
Oh man, you're gonna love it. Years ago, I went from a 17' open boat to a 228. Never had to wear my foulies again!
Good luck and looks like the Installer did a great job

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How is the clarity between the front panels and the rest? I plan to replace just my front panels as the rest I can live with.

They did a really good job on yours.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The hard panels are .060 Makrolon polycarbonate, it's clearer to some degree but the big difference is there is no distortion since it's a hard flat panel. The canvas shop said it's easier to maintain, more scratch resistant, and will last longer so we'll see. It was an expensive upgrade but hey, it's a boat right?20201027_115742.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice job! Did you remove the electronics box, to allow them to fold in/up, or did you not have one? Don't see the typical bump on top of the hard top.
I have been wondering if the front panels can be done in one piece, and minimize the fabric at the top of the windshield, to increase visibility.

Reactions: JJMag

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought my 05 228 this spring, I don't think the roof and piping is factory installed and there is no elections box.

I'm only 5' 8" so sitting or standing at the helm I'm mostly looking through the windshield at idle or cruise but being able to open it up for air and stand on a small cooler for night time visibility is really import.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice job! Did you remove the electronics box, to allow them to fold in/up, or did you not have one? Don't see the typical bump on top of the hard top.
I have been wondering if the front panels can be done in one piece, and minimize the fabric at the top of the windshield, to increase visibility.
[/QUOTE

I’ve seen the front panel done in one piece and it looks great the visibility is much better that’s one problem with the 228 the visibility is not the best .

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
0.060 is 1/16th of an inch. Have you run it and have a good idea of how much it flexes in the wind?
Looks like they made the front narrower than stock, to keep the poly off the curvature.
And what is the tubing sticking up from the center of your windshield? I don't have that fitting in 2000.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
0.060 is 1/16th of an inch. Have you run it and have a good idea of how much it flexes in the wind?
Looks like they made the front narrower than stock, to keep the poly off the curvature.
And what is the tubing sticking up from the center of your windshield? I don't have that fitting in 2000.
I have not run it yet or even seen it besides the pics they sent but looking forward to it. The sample they sent is very rigid so I can't imagine flex will be an issue but that's why it stops short of where the wind shield begins to bend around the corners. It took considerable force to bend it to 45 degrees with just my hands and it snapped back to flat. I even tried to break off a corner against the table, surprisingly it didn't snap but did retain some of that bend, amazing stuff.

The vertical aluminum bar in the center is my anchor light. I think that was factory since it appears to be integrated with the windshield.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nice job Seafarer_Bob!

I did my front (one piece) and 1/4 side panels in 0.040 Makrolon VR. The is no noticeable flex when running. The 0.060 Makrolon Marine 5 is treated and is 6 time the price!. Both are bendable but not rollable. Its all great stuff for marine applications.

I can sew the 0.040 but never tried the 0.060.

56901607035__4A21195B-F3CE-4152-A4F3-0C6874ECBC85.jpeg

I prefer a one piece front. Mine is removable for travel but not practical while fishing. It zips in at the top and is snapped in at the bottom.

Side panels are 1/2 at the top and full at the bottom. I remove the side panels (also Makrolon) when I need the air and place in a custom bag. I never liked rollable U-windows - plastic gets scratched rolling and from the straps.

The vent windows are my A/C. Boat stays really dry.

One thing to REALLY be careful with is spray sunscreen. It is no longer allowed in or near the enclosure on my boat. Some owners ban it altogether and have you use a tube. If you get it on the enclosure you will NEVER get it off! With anything you have to clean with.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hookup, is the zipper at the top sewn onto a piece of kedar strip that uses the original track? If you can sew .040, might it also hold a snap, without all the fabric blocking the view at the top of the windshield? Where are you guys getting Makrolon? I would love to have a sample if you have any remnants.
We need a pic with the contact paper removed.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hookup, thanks and I'd be interested to see more photos of your setup. I don't have an electronics box so the two panels will flip in independently and I'm planning to make a storage bag for when I need to take them off. The installer said I'd have a problem with a one piece front because my windshield forms a V in the middle. The .060 Mac front panels was a $500 upgrade from the strataglass so hopefully it'll be worth it.

I boat in the lower Chesapeake and hopefully sometimes FL so ventilation is critical. I store the boat close to the ramp but I plan to do a lot of traveling so the whole thing needed to be easy to remove for highway travel. The original plan was U zip fronts but looked like a major hassle to remove and the installer said it would be more prone to leaks. He also gave me a major lecture on not using spray lotions and bug spray...

I read every post I could find on the subject and appreciate all the photos and input I read. Figured I'd share what I learned and came up with and happy to answer questions.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hookup, is the zipper at the top sewn onto a piece of kedar strip that uses the original track? If you can sew .040, might it also hold a snap, without all the fabric blocking the view at the top of the windshield? Where are you guys getting Makrolon? I would love to have a sample if you have any remnants.
We need a pic with the contact paper removed.

Glacierblase - A little background first. I needed a new enclosure in 2018 and decided to buy a sewing machine and do it myself. I have an engineering background and looked at how dozens of boat enclosures were assembled before doing mine. I only do work for myself and maybe a small projects for a friend/dock neighbor (I'm too slow t make money!). My first upholstery project was so-so (I wouldn't pay for it) but my first and current enclosure was excellent pro quality.

The zipper is sewn directly to the kedder strip, three pieces (left side 1/2, front full and right side half). These strip float and can be removed. The enclosure has a full border of Sunbrella Marine Navy that is sewn to the Makrolon. Note that the Makrolon is attached to the border - not to the kedder strip or down to the snaps on the bottom. All Sunbrella attachments.

On my boat you don't need the visibility at the top because of the hardtop structure. Its more important at the windshield line. I worked to minimize it but next version will probably be to track the windshield and increase the border on the top (glass rubs tower legs).

The Makrolon could easily hold a snap but its best to have some fabric to deal with small alignment issues.

I get the Makrolon from Trivantage. I have a unrelated business but was able to use it to setup an account. Its about $110/sheet for 52x110. I have a warehouse near me so no shipping which is huge! You can order Makrolon from Home Depot but 4x8 Its (same stuff). PM me your address and I'll send you a piece. I'm putting the enclosure up this weekend - I'll put a photo up.

You will find that all the new center console boats are going to a tempered glass (durability, clarity and easy to clean). The big sport fish use Costa Clear with uses acrylic panels. Acrylic is clear but doesn't bend and can't be sewn. Makrolon is a great choice. Some complaints of "rainbow"'s but it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hookup, thanks and I'd be interested to see more photos of your setup. I don't have an electronics box so the two panels will flip in independently and I'm planning to make a storage bag for when I need to take them off. The installer said I'd have a problem with a one piece front because my windshield forms a V in the middle. The .060 Mac front panels was a $500 upgrade from the strataglass so hopefully it'll be worth it.

I boat in the lower Chesapeake and hopefully sometimes FL so ventilation is critical. I store the boat close to the ramp but I plan to do a lot of traveling so the whole thing needed to be easy to remove for highway travel. The original plan was U zip fronts but looked like a major hassle to remove and the installer said it would be more prone to leaks. He also gave me a major lecture on not using spray lotions and bug spray...

I read every post I could find on the subject and appreciate all the photos and input I read. Figured I'd share what I learned and came up with and happy to answer questions.

The 0.040 handles the curve of the front panel. I consider it a "fixed panel" only removed to travel (easy to do). Don't know about 0.060 - it has special treatment for Marine applications. I think you will be very happy with your choice for the front panel.

I fish on several boats that flip up the panels when needed and it works well. As long as the zippers and snaps make it easy for you to do.

U zips require softer material. Its a tradeoff. It's OK for the sides but the front should be as close to "glass" as you can get.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What year is your boat? I wish I had the port side seating like that.

seasick

Reaction score
Makrolon doesn't roll as mentioned and therefore if you have to sew an edge to other material , the throat of you sewing machine may need to be deep enough to fit the flat portion of the plastic.
Several folks on the sewing boards have mentioned good results using two different threads, polyester on the bobbin (bottom) and Tenera on the top. Tenera, talk about expensive:) Some tried Tenera on both sides but had issues. I have never sewn polycarbonate sheet material so I cant say one way or the other.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Response to several questions...

Yes the boat is a 1997 268 Islander.

I cut Makrolon with these:

I have purchased but don't like the Tenera. I use v92 polyester top and bottom.

"Makrolon doesn't roll as mentioned and therefore if you have to sew an edge to other material , the throat of you sewing machine may need to be deep enough to fit the flat portion of the plastic."
Not a problem sewing the borders. I have a Sailrite machine that is somewhat ordinary.