New Enclosure

Fishtales

Reaction score
After 12 seasons with the original, I've arranged to have a new set made at A&J Canvas at what I think is a very fair price. Packaged up my old ones and will send down to template all the lift-dots and snaps so it fits perfect.
Will request original be sent back. If anyone is looking for pieces let me know. Front (2) are near perfect. (2) side smiles and (2) triangular corners not bad. The (3) aft sections got the most sun. The middle one has zipper rips. The sun did a number on the zipper material. All pieces have been resewn as the thread gave way on sections of most of them over the years.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A&J did my complete enclosure last year. Good people. Great work.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did you send them the original enclosure? They have the pattern for my boat but said If I shipped it, they would install all the hardware. They indicated they have a person that is onsite at the GW factory and does all the fitting, install and any per boat adjustments. If for some reason they or GW needed to adjust at the factory, the patterns would not reflect it. The enclosure rolled up tight into a 36"X10"X10" box. UPS estimates $34 to ship. We'll see. It likely will ship out in a week or two.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did you send them the original enclosure? They have the pattern for my boat but said If I shipped it, they would install all the hardware. They indicated they have a person that is onsite at the GW factory and does all the fitting, install and any per boat adjustments. If for some reason they or GW needed to adjust at the factory, the patterns would not reflect it. The enclosure rolled up tight into a 36"X10"X10" box. UPS estimates $34 to ship. We'll see. It likely will ship out in a week or two.

I did send my old one, but it was of not much use. It had shrunk from age, sun, salt to where I had no hope of installing it even in 80 degree sun. They had mine but not sure how useful it was. Pretty much made mine from scratch. I had them add some flaps over the zippers on the front pieces so I wouldn't get the blow through of water through the zippers. I installed all my snap hardware so I knew it would match up perfect. You might want to rethink that option and do it yourself, direct fit, no issues.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
After 12 seasons with the original, I've arranged to have a new set made at A&J Canvas at what I think is a very fair price.

Interested in hearing what you ordered. Mine is on it's last legs. I keep needle and thread on the boat and it just looks it's age.

Canvas - Stamoid ?
Color?
Strataglass - Isinglass?

Question about the glass.Which one is the harder, flatter material?
Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Interested in hearing what you ordered. Mine is on it's last legs. I keep needle and thread on the boat and it just looks it's age.

Canvas - Stamoid ?
Color?
Strataglass - Isinglass?

Question about the glass.Which one is the harder, flatter material?
Thanks

Hi,
I went with the exact material it came with new. Ivory Stamoid which I recommend. The Stamoid held up great on the last enclosure, no streaks, no fade and easy to keep clean. They said for $100 more I could go with Strataglass which they said is superior. The only issue I had was with the stitching. Over the last 4 years, I pretty much had every piece resewn. Hopefully they fixed that problem.

tx

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That looks sharp. My first boat had the blue canvas. The plastic glass looks perfect.

It's the Strataglass, crazy clear. I keep it cleaned and polished with the Imar, which Strata recommends. First time using Imar, nice stuff.

Reactions: drbatts

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's the Strataglass, crazy clear. I keep it cleaned and polished with the Imar, which Strata recommends. First time using Imar, nice stuff.

I see there is a polish and a cleaner. Can you explain how you use them?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I first wash/rinse with fresh water if I've been in the saltwater. Dry them off. Apply the spray cleaner and wipe in circular motion until dry, both sides. The polish is like a wax, you apply in small circles and let haze/dry, then wipe/buff off, both sides IMG_1839.JPG

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Never saw this stuff. Based on the way your glass looks, I'm definitely putting this on my shopping list.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
When I replaced my enclosure, I also went with the strataglass stamoid combination. I agree the strataglass is clearer and will stay clear if you keep it clean. I had a local place redo mine, their recommendation was to use the IMAR products. IMAR also makes a stamoid cleaner too I believe. I will clean and polish the enclosure when it comes off the boat in the fall, then lay them flat inside the house for the winter. When they are warm, clean and flat they go back on very easy in the spring. I also use the strataglass spray cleaner periodically throughout the season to keep everything looking good..

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I store mine inside and flat also. The Strata will roll if you have to but it's pretty stiff/thick. Once they are clean, I stack them with old sheets cut up between each panel. IMG_2544.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like the way to go. I like the idea of the sheets between. A&J recommends white to ensure no color bleed.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like the way to go. I like the idea of the sheets between. A&J recommends white to ensure no color bleed.

I know. I sent the same pic above to Lee and she cautioned me about the towel under them possibly printing my enclosure. I just use that to cover my table while cleaning. Sheets go under while stored.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The Strata will roll up fairly easily, especially if it clean.

jcacchio

Reaction score
After 12 seasons with the original, I've arranged to have a new set made at A&J Canvas at what I think is a very fair price. Packaged up my old ones and will send down to template all the lift-dots and snaps so it fits perfect.
Will request original be sent back. If anyone is looking for pieces let me know. Front (2) are near perfect. (2) side smiles and (2) triangular corners not bad. The (3) aft sections got the most sun. The middle one has zipper rips. The sun did a number on the zipper material. All pieces have been resewn as the thread gave way on sections of most of them over the years.
If I may ask, what was the price?