New engines?

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looking for some oppinions. I have a 2005 GW Release with twin 250HP (3.3L) Yamahas 1705 hours. I may have the opportunity to get used 2016 250HP (4.2L) Yamahas with only 100 hours. I dont have the option to have the engines surveyed but I did see them run.. They are on a 2000 Marlin that was damaged during Hurricane Ian last month in Florida. They did not get wet. They may cost me $15-20K. Are they worth the risk? thought?

seasick

Reaction score
Maybe but not being able to start them is an issue. At a minimum you should have a mechanic take a look under the cowling, check the fluids for contamination and whatever other tests can be done. Are the engines still on the Marlin or perhaps on motor stands. If either, a mechanic can do a lot of testing. How were you able to see them run and if they did run, whay can't you have a mechanic look at them?

seasick

Reaction score
One more comment.
How much of a loss could you take without being financially seriously hurt. Lets say the motors are going for 15k and now are being sold as salvage. You tell the seller that you want to get a mechanical inspection but if you can't, you are willing to take a chance for let's say 10k. Would that be easier to eat if they turned out to be crap?

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did start them and was able to check fluids. From that perspective they look good. They are still on the Marlin in an insurance yard.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What was the damage to the boat and are you positive they didn’t go under water? I wouldn’t touch an engine that did although I have heard folks who pickled them and got ‘em working.

Reactions: HMBJack

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fiberglass damage to bow pulpit, starboard stern corner, fist size puncture above water line on port side. The bottom was never painted this boat was likely in a lift or rack and got bounced around. Cabin and other places that would hold water are dry. There is even a box of tissues in the cabin still dry. Starboard engine cowling is cracked.

seasick

Reaction score
May be a good deal. The cowling is another bargaining chip to an extent. A new cowling is expensive.
If I may ask, why is the price range 15 to 20 k ? I would expect the yard to set a price and bargain from there. In any event, if you are really interested, you might want to act quickly. Motors are still in demand.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Perhaps you can have money held in escrow until the motors are on your boat and confirmed to be in proper running condition.

Reactions: PT G

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I need to purchase the boat and engines. I plan to switch the engines from my boat to the marlin, repair the fiberglass damage and resell the marlin with my old engines. The range is based on my estimate of repair costs and being able to sell the Marlin

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Well I now own in addition to my GW Release a 2000 GW Marlin. I’ll be taking the engines off the Marlin and putting them on my Release and taking the engines off my Release putting them on the Marlin and selling the Marlin

Reactions: JJF

seasick

Reaction score
Now that's a whole different story.

HMBJack

Reaction score
My opinion: not worth the risk.

They are not new engines. In a few weeks, they will be 8 years old.
And I would never buy an 8 year old engine with only 100 hours.

Like others above, I would also be suspicious they went under water.

For about $10K more, you can really get "new" engines and not have the headache of getting rid of a salvage boat.

Your 3.3L F250's should easily go another 1,000 hours if well maintained (Mine did).

seasick

Reaction score
I think what we just learned is that the OP is talking about buying an insurace write off boat and plans on flipping the boat after fixing the damage and possible swapping his older motors with the insurance boat motors. He would end up with newer motors and also a Marlin (model year??) to sell with the older motors.If the Marlin can be fixed well enough to resell, it would probably fetch more than the investment. That said, flips are risky. You may discover more extensive damage, missing parts that have been scavenged, etc.
It will affect the resale value if the title shows the boat as salvage.
If the OP has reasonable experience with boat repairs and has the time and facilities to work on the boat, it could be an interesting project. Just not for me:)

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Seasick has described the plan exactly. Fortunately I am retired, mechanically inclined and have a friend who is in this business where I can keep the boat and help with the work. Yes there is risk associated with this plan but I did the best I could to mitigate that risk by running the engines and seeing this boat in person. Life is full of risks and this could fun