New England Boat Show

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
capeguy said:
To me the only boats worth spending time on were the Pursuit 315 and 345. I have to say that having been targetting a Marlin or possibly 330 Express for my next boat, the Pursuits are becoming real competition. While I still find the GW cockpit layout and helm layout preferable, the fit and finish of the Pursuit is clearly more impressive. Their cabins are nicer and more innovative as well.

The integrated hardtop and windshield of the Pursuit makes the GW look dated.

However, GW s use of space, the drop down bench seat, the layout are far superior to me....

Hopefully the economy will improve and we'll have more variety next year!

You said it perfectly, I have noticed the very same items you mentioned. Pursuits quality is now way ahead of GW but GW's ergonomics are the best in the business. The Marlin, with its cheap smoked plastic cabin windows and cheap winshield frame can't compete with what the Pursuit 315 has.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
capeguy said:
To me the only boats worth spending time on were the Pursuit 315 and 345. I have to say that having been targetting a Marlin or possibly 330 Express for my next boat, the Pursuits are becoming real competition. While I still find the GW cockpit layout and helm layout preferable, the fit and finish of the Pursuit is clearly more impressive. Their cabins are nicer and more innovative as well.

However, GW s use of space, the drop down bench seat, the layout are far superior to me....

You said it perfectly, I have noticed the very same items you mentioned. Pursuits quality is now way ahead of GW but GW's ergonomics are the best in the business. The Marlin, with its cheap smoked plastic cabin windows and cheap winshield frame can't compete with what the Pursuit 315 has.

I can't agree completely with SEFla but am pretty close to capeguy. The 315 was a very impressive boat and is ahead of the 300 in several areas. That said the 300 beats the Pursuit in some areas as well. Best believe I have and will continue to voice my opinions to GW execs on competing boats. If my boat was totalled in a fire today, I would look at both but likely choose the Marlin. When the time comes I will again look at the choices although I have a strong brand preference to GW.

Since we have a Marlin fan base already here, I'll just point out where the 315 is ahead because the Marlin strengths have been well discussed here.
I consider these areas GW could improve the 300 (and other models as well).

o bilge finish
o bilge wiring/water/fuel systems, routing, clamping, etc
o cabin finish
o hardtop finish (especially slick underside)
o recessed hardtop lighting
o use of stainless steel in holders, toerails, drain covers, etc
o access to batteries, genset, under deck systems

Beyond that I can list a bunch of other areas I much prefer the Marlin.
I hate the grey helm, the transom door is thin, the use of space is marginal, the fishability is inferior, I am not sold on integrated hardtops, and I personally don't need or desire the bench helm seat (no option on the 315).

The competition is great for the consumer and from my vantage point, the gap HAS narrowed from when I bought my 2004 Marlin. GW needs to stay on their toes!!!

capeguy

Reaction score
Mega,
I agree that both have pros and cons and I tend to agree with your assessment. Going back to the NE show today with the admiral and crew, its a shame no GW cabin models to compare witht he 315 and 345.

I think the 315 Pursuit actually competes more closely with the 305 Express than the Marlin, but in looking for alternatives to the Marlin it is about as close as I can find.

I think the cockpit layout on the Marlin/305 blows away the Pursuit. A very big part of that is the GW drop down bench seat, which I think is a HUGE difference maker. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but look at others who try to copy it, they stink. It impacts the entire layout.

The 315 has a horrible bench seat that has to be lifted in its entirety to access the box under. My kids couldn't open it. Takes up a lot of room. Also the 345/315 have aft facing benches that are heavy metal based seats. This is a very big advantage for GW as its design allows for much better space utilization and ease of use.

I also do not like the in deck fish boxes. I am barefoot alot, as are my kids. Those hatches are a hazard to bare feet especially if not stowed properly. I have raked my toes on other boats on these hatches. Another big difference maker.

I too hate the grey helm area and don't care for the ergonomics on the Pursuit helms. I would prefer the center helm of the 305, 330, or 360 over the starboard helm on the 315, 345, 375.

That said, the Pursuit access to wiring, plumbing, electrical, bilge and the finish is superior. I also like the cabin layouts and finish in the Pursuit. I like the windshield design and powder coated hard top supports. The GW aluminum and rough hardtops along with the aluminum windshield frame just looks old in comparison.

However, the GW design may provide better airflow through the helm area, or at least that option.

Good competition, I hope GW makes some advances. In the balance, I still think the Marlin is my choice as I really want the walkaround and the layout is more important to me. We'll see today what the admiral thinks....

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
cape,

I think we are in almost 100% agreement. Everything you compared lines up with my thoughts as well. Since GW follows this board perhaps they will consider some of the ideas. I am on the fence about powder coating. Many have said there are pros and cons including expense. There is something classic about aluminum for boats. Not sure.

At times I like the enclosed hardtop and at other times they seem claustic. For a northern boat it might make perfect sense but I am not sure that is what I want in NC and the Fla folks would probably hate it. I'd like to see GW with a heavier windshield and frame but in all fairness, this is just looks because none of mine have ever been an issue. I don't care for in deck boxs as they require a macerator and that is another maintenence item. The desk latches are also an issue. Pursuit cabins are gorgeous although GW uses the space better on a Marlin for my needs.

I didn't care for the hardtop rocket launchers on the 315. 4 compared to 6 and mine look much more like a fishing boat. I would be concerned about falling against the 315 transom door. It does not even compare to the 300.

If GW wants to make THE perfect pocket battlewagon here it is:

o marlin
o nicer cabin with more wood and finish
o replace starboard in cockpit with SS
o design systems access like the 315
o when opening this access, have it look as good as the 315
o add helm deck a/c option
o nicer hardtop (same features) with finished underside, recessed LED lighting
o ditch netting as it is simply a mildew magnet
o add the hatch as in the 305 hardtop
o add dedicated house battery bank
o make the flush mount a tad larger and make it standard

When and if GW does makes a Marlin like this, I will be enticed to buy Mega3 and it will blow away the 315. :D

PS: I know Joey is reading this. :lol:

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
capeguy said:

You buy your boat based on a windshield?? Good luck with that. :wink:

I am more into fishing room a layout that matters more to me on long trips than a windshield. Now maybe you dont like the way it looks but I would not worry about it falling out heading home from the canyon. Mine has not fallen out on me and its a 89. Also my stringers are all solid as a rock. Maybe you just need to lean how to properly bed anything you mount on the hull or roof. You can use the forum and do a search to learn how.

So what type of boat do you have oh slammer of the Grady brand???