New FBW Yamaha binnacle.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Been acquiring all my parts for the re-rig for my new F250xca FBW motor and I picked up the final pieces a couple of weeks ago when I was in Charleston. The new fly by wire binnacle is a small, compact thing, compared to my current 704 control. It's less than 6" tall from mounting surface to the top of the handle. Operation seems smooth. Looking forward to getting it all switched over.

Screenshot_20210129-084556_Gallery.jpg20210128_211501_copy_1500x2000.jpg

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks awesome. I’m sure it will feel light years ahead of mechanical controls.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've never used Yamaha's FBW, but I am very familiar with Mercruiser's version, DTS (Digital Throttle and Shift). I'm sure they are similar. It's amazing. The feel you have right now, just sitting there on the couch with it... it will feel exactly the same in real operation. No slop, nothing - just smooth and accurate.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm very familiar with Evinrude's version with the G2's. Super smooth. Looking forward to having this technology advancement on my personal boat instead of a customer's boat.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not gonna make a last minute change to the electric steering on the new F250?!?!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No, not interested in the extra expense along with changing out my helm to electronic steering. I'll take the tried and true Seastar hydraulic steering. Hopefully it'll at least be the new cowl design. Unless since it was ordered back in November, it's the old design that's been sitting in Japan waiting to ship.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seastar makes good stuff. I can see not wanting to dive into a bunch of new parts at the time. Would be nice if you got the new lower end with the fancy reverse exhaust system too. That pretty cowl would be a bonus.

Will be interesting to see how autopilot integration goes with the new steering system.

Ill be watching closely, i have a low hour 2006 F225 that id like to kick off my stern. Will decide after this summer if 2 footitus is going to win.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I suffer from 6 footitis at times being the 282 keeps popping up. Reality kicks back in and the 228 is ideal for me and my use. Big enough to handle most anything I care to get in to and small enough to launch and load solo and easily trailer anywhere I want to go. It's comfortable to fish out of, and at this point, after all that I've done to it, it's pretty much a refreshed rig. She's getting a full gel coat restoration these next few weeks with a cut, buff and wax, then the repower to the FBW F250. Completed package for me. Not really interested in going back through all this again with a bigger rig.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is very compact. Thanks for sharing...