New Grady Model

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Was told Grady will replace the Sailfish and resurrect the Chesapeke in a 29' walkaround. My dealer is expecting it's first one within the month. Is this old news because I haven't heard about it before?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What is the Chesapeke's layout.

I heard an Express version of the Sailfish, which is probably the 265 with a euro butt.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
He mentioned it as a 29' walkaround with twin 300's. He descibed the 300's as "detuned 350's" to allow the use of 87 octane as opposed to premium for the 350's. I suppose it will have the euro tail. Will have more info when I see it.

I've already been told by "she who must be obeyed" that we're under the ten year rule :wink: Although we only had our 208 for 8years before moving up.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We toured the GW plant on May 22nd, and saw several of these under construction.

Cathy and I spent quite a bit of time on hull #1, which had just been cleaned and prepped for her first round of photos the next day. A web page with info has been set up for dealers, but the boat hasn't been officially announced by Grady. I promised them I would not post any details or photos, and will hold to that.

I will say that the 290 Chesapeake replaced the 282. It is a little bit longer, a little bit wider, is a walkaround not an express, and has A/C, diesel generator and bow thruster options.

It was an absolutely beautiful boat. :D :D :D

F250s will be fine for this hull.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, you're a tease.

I can't get any idea the difference vs. the 282 ! You did stay to your word.

Wink an eye if it has a glass bridge enclosure (?)

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
BobP said:
Brian, you're a tease.

I can't get any idea the difference vs. the 282 ! You did stay to your word.

Wink an eye if it has a glass bridge enclosure (?)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice, looks like a 265 with a taller windshield and no pulpit, plus euro transom. Smaller cabin window.

I guess there is more than meets the eye (??).

I'll work it over at Tobay in the Fall or NY Show in the winter, I expect to see it there. I have a dozen questions already.

Thanks

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are Brian's photos:

GW290-1.jpg

GW290-2.jpg

deltarome

Reaction score
will Grady ever consider putting in a diesel I/O for those of us who value the price of fuel?
I have a 330 and 5 bucks a mile is a bit much unless i take 5 guys fishing with me.

PMD 205

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
We toured the GW plant on May 22nd, and saw several of these under construction.

Cathy and I spent quite a bit of time on hull #1, which had just been cleaned and prepped for her first round of photos the next day. A web page with info has been set up for dealers, but the boat hasn't been officially announced by Grady. I promised them I would not post any details or photos, and will hold to that.

I will say that the 290 Chesapeake replaced the 282. It is a little bit longer, a little bit wider, is a walkaround not an express, and has A/C, diesel generator and bow thruster options.

It was an absolutely beautiful boat. :D :D :D

F250s will be fine for this hull.

Brian

Well dern, I was there on the 21st but didn't hear anything about it. I guess I should have asked if they were going to introduce any new models soon. I probably saw it but didn't even notice since I'm not big into WA's.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OK so what's going to happen to the Marlin? It'll be nice if it moved up to the 33' hull but they don't need a 29'er and a 30'er.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW has assured me several times the Marlin is not going away. It still outsells the 305. I suspect the new model as a beam aroundm 9-8 or so. The Marlin is 10-7 and will still be larger. I am still amazed the 282 hull is going away after all those years. I wonder if sales of the Sailfish have fallen.

Of course GW could change their mind about the Marlin in which case I may need to look at Pursuit. :lol:

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
megabytes said:
GW has assured me several times the Marlin is not going away. It still outsells the 305. I suspect the new model as a beam aroundm 9-8 or so. The Marlin is 10-7 and will still be larger. I am still amazed the 282 hull is going away after all those years. I wonder if sales of the Sailfish have fallen.

Of course GW could change their mind about the Marlin in which case I may need to look at Pursuit. :lol:

I asked the same question and was assured the Marlin is NOT going away.

The 290 replaces the 282, but the 283 will still be built.

There was an unmet market for a boat smaller than the (big) Marlin, with A/C and a generator. Just couldn't get a genset in a Sailfish.

The 290 is six inches longer and five inches wider than a Sailfish, but as they point out, that is a LOT of added volume.
- room for a FP genset with good access
- larger mid-berth
- V-berth with the oval table from the express, but still a good V-berth (changed design).
- deeper hull - more headroom
- TV on the fwd bulkhead in the cabin.
- single, large fuel tank (206)
- twin 10-inch displays on the electronics area. twin 12" might have fit.
- room for optional bow thruster.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ocnslr said:
megabytes said:

I asked the same question and was assured the Marlin is NOT going away.

The 290 replaces the 282, but the 283 will still be built.

There was an unmet market for a boat smaller than the (big) Marlin, with A/C and a generator. Just couldn't get a genset in a Sailfish.

The 290 is six inches longer and five inches wider than a Sailfish, but as they point out, that is a LOT of added volume.
- room for a FP genset with good access
- larger mid-berth
- V-berth with the oval table from the express, but still a good V-berth (changed design).
- deeper hull - more headroom
- TV on the fwd bulkhead in the cabin.
- single, large fuel tank (206)
- twin 10-inch displays on the electronics area. twin 12" might have fit.
- room for optional bow thruster.

I don't know, it sounds too close to the Marlin for both to survive. Does it have the eurotransom?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
twinyams265 said:
I guess this is the "28 express" my dealer spoke of, but did not have any details on. Looks like a nice rig.

It's a walkaround, not an express. The helm is to starboard, not centerline.

It did not appear to be a 265 on steroids.

More like a 300 that had shrunk just a little.. :D :D

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
It looks good!! It needs a bow pulpit though, im sure its an option. I wish i could get one!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
CaptKennyW said:
It looks good!! It needs a bow pulpit though, im sure its an option. I wish i could get one!

They put a pivoting anchor roller on it, with a vertical windlass. Looks like a good arrangement, and I don't think a pulpit will be an option.

Brian