New Grady Owner Soon

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As they will no doubt tell me on another forum I frequent now "I drank the kool aid." Made an offer and it was accepted on a '06 Sailfish 282 with twin Yamaha F225s. Next up is the survey and sea trial hopefully this week. I will take all the advice out there on what to look for. I hope some day to have all the knowledge of you folks and be able to help some newbie like myself.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats on a very nice choice. Surveyor should be thorough. Is he familiar with Grady's? Moisture meters are not necessarily a reliable indicator of water intrusion. Bottom paint can fool them into reading moisture when there is none, as can several other things. An good surveyor will also use the sounding (tapping) method, and can tell when there is a problem.

When you do your dockside checkout and seatrial, check little things like does the battery charger work; are the batteries at end-of-life (date codes?); windshield wiper and washer work ok; if the boat has autopilot, make sure it will engage and hold a heading, and if it's interfaced with the chartplotter, can you go to a waypoint? Stereo & speakers work good? How about the live-well and raw water washdown pumps? Fridge get cold? All of these type things may be considered small stuff, but can add up when you are later fixing things that you find out don't work.

Good luck; have fun; take notes and have them fix, or drop price accordingly.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt Bill said:
Congrats on a very nice choice. Surveyor should be thorough. Is he familiar with Grady's? Moisture meters are not necessarily a reliable indicator of water intrusion. Bottom paint can fool them into reading moisture when there is none, as can several other things. An good surveyor will also use the sounding (tapping) method, and can tell when there is a problem.

When you do your dockside checkout and seatrial, check little things like does the battery charger work; are the batteries at end-of-life (date codes?); windshield wiper and washer work ok; if the boat has autopilot, make sure it will engage and hold a heading, and if it's interfaced with the chartplotter, can you go to a waypoint? Stereo & speakers work good? How about the live-well and raw water washdown pumps? Fridge get cold? All of these type things may be considered small stuff, but can add up when you are later fixing things that you find out don't work.

Good luck; have fun; take notes and have them fix, or drop price accordingly.

Capt Bill

Your list is great and I have printed it for reference while out there. Thank you. The surveyor I have coming out has a great reputation and has been doing it awhile. He actually mentioned the bottom paint/meter not working and said he would have to tap the hull.

I see you have a 282 too. How have you liked it?

Also someone mentioned there is no caulking under the rub rails and to pay close attention to that area. Any thoughts on that?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That was by no means, a complete list. Your surveyor should be checking things like bilge pumps, engine WOT rpm range (is in spec); prop pitch and diameter; fuel tank and hises inspection, and lots more. But while he's doing his thing, you can be looking around for things that you might find (like the stereo, etc). WHat size anchor, chain, and rode, and does the windlass work? Cabin windows open and latch closed ok? Any signs of water intrusion in the cabin? Any smells?

I haven't had any issues with my 282, other than the on-board mattery charger has gone bad, and pops the breaker (not GFI). I have a replacement that I will be installing. Do you have access to any service records? I am in the process right now, of replacing both water pumps, and all 4 thermostats, of which 3 were stuck open. The stats cost $50 each, and are a pain in the butt to change. Has this ever been done on the boat you are buying? If not, it may be a point to consider having the dealer do that before taking delivery, if there are no records of that being done.

I read that post about no sealant on the hull-deck joint, by that guy on THT, but don't think it's a widespread issue, or this forum would have lots of posts about it, as this is an all-Grady White forum with a lot of owners.

When is the survey and sea trial? Keep up posted how it goes.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just made the deal late Saturday so we could not get all the paperwork done and stuff scheduled. Sea Trial and survey should be this week.

Yes I meant a good checklist for me and also the last one helps me to make sure he does his job. I got a pretty comprehensive list for a survey off THT too. The way I see it I cannot have too much info. at this point and it could save me $ or from making a mistake on a bad boat. This boat seems to be $30k less then the next used on in the same class. Has me very suspicious and extra cautious. Hopefully I am just getting a good deal and not a headache.

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
how did the survey/sea trial go ? Was the boat named Empty Pockets ? :hmm Lew

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lew said:
how did the survey/sea trial go ? Was the boat named Empty Pockets ? :hmm Lew

Could not do the trial and survey yesterday had to postpone till next week. :( The boat is Empty Pockets - How do you know that?

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Saw name on Baert MARINE WEB SITE-boat looked fairly priced and low hours-hope it works out. Lew

MA208

Reaction score
I saw that boat as well online. I toyed with the idea of trading my new to me this year 208 the price was so good! Oh well...congrats and hopefully the trial goes well. Baert has really impressed me as being a quality outfit and good bunch of people. Even though I bought my boat from a private party they did warranty transfers for me and have been available to answer questions that have come up. It feels like I bought a brand new Grady from them when in reality they had no obligation to go out of their way to be nice and helpful to me. Certainly have earned my business for the future.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My father always taught me if a deal looks too good then it probably is and do your homework. Postponed the survey/sea trial from last thurs. to tomorrow due to the weather. Wanted the best conditions to go over her in. Now I just need tomorrow to come already. Hope the deal still looks good under the microscope.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So did the survey and the biggest issue is the hard top is shot. Delaminated and very wet. Any suggestions? What is the hard top cored with? Any idea on the replacement cost? Should I attempt repair? Need some real help on this one.