New Grady Owner - Tournament 185

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi there. We have never owned a Grady and I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered by owners. My wife and I find it difficult at low speeds, i.e. coming into marinas, no wake areas etc. to keep the boat tracking straight. I have to constantly "adjust" the steering wheel to try and keep the boat going straight. Is this common? Am I doing something wrong?, any feedback would be welcomed.
Thanks

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Ed and Congrats :) on the new boat,
I am not ure if this is an issue with 185 owners but This can be from many different causes, Currents, Wind, Weight dist,ect
Never really had a boat that stayed straight even in the most calm water.
Water is a force pushing against a boat so it will resist and shift you around a bit.
I dont think your doing anything wrong but you may want to make sure your steering connection is tight. Try moving the steering wheel back and forth and see how much play is there. should not be much more than 1/2 in. If there is you may need it adjusted. Hope this helps

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you have a top up you may want to fold it back, it will help if windy out.

You didn't mention if wind and/or water current is going on when you have to work at it.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. The steering issue is pretty common and as others have said is affected by current, tide, wind, etc. One of the most common operator errors is over steering. Try different trim settings to see if that helps. Other than that it's just a matter of getting used to the boat.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the tips and suggestions. I will check the steering this weekend for play. Wind is definetly a factor where we boat (Lake St Clair) area and we do usually have the Bimini up so I will fold that back when coming in to see if that helps. Logic says it should as I will take the "sail" effect out of the equation. We also have alot of weight on the stern as Bukster is equipmend with 150 Yamaha and a 9.9 Yamaha kicker on a very hefty mounting bracket.
Ed Bukala (Bukster)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If it gets very windy, you willalso have to keep the stern pointed to the wind, most likely in reverse even when going downwind or sideways. The rest of the boat will follow the stern.

When going in reverse gear, much more throttle is needed to control the boat (any outboard boat), so don't be afraid to lean on it.

It takes practice to figure it out and become good at it, then you will also gain a No-Fear attitude (while docking). At sea is a different deal!

Other GG members have the 18 footer, they can jump in.

Drifter80

Reaction score
Nice to see another Grady owner on LSC, we are too few and far between. Congrats on the GW

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I have the same problem, depending on how the boat is loaded, number of passengers, etc. Trimming way up or down will correct most of it, and yeah, don't over-correct. Seems to me I trim up some for it.

Seems like its the worst with a lot of weight in the cockpit. A passenger in the bow may correct most of it.

I run a PERMATRIM and I think that helps direct thrust a lot. I know it helps low speed planing, my boat will plain at about 9 kts with everything trimmed down.

mronzo

Reaction score
I splashed my boat today and it was windy at the dock..
I'm glad the only witness (?) was the Grandma in the wheelchair across
the canal.
I hope I made her day! :wink:

capeguy

Reaction score
I have the 180, same hull as the 185. I think this is totally normal for a small, single outboard, especially with the transom weight yours has. It just takes getting used to.

I can't count the number of times I slammed into docks and made a mess of things while learning to get the feel of the boat.

One thing I did was to drop a bouoy in the water and practice approaching from all directions to get the feel.

I also learned that power is your friend. A good amount of my control problems stemmed from a fear of using too much power. As a result I never used enough to really have control.

It will come. The 18 hull is great, you will love it.

mronzo

Reaction score
CapeGuy

I know what you're saying! I've been gun shy at times! Then again if
I'm going slowly at least I know the damage won't be too bad!

capeguy

Reaction score
What I have learned over time is that the boat responds really well with appropriate throttle. My early problems were that I didn't know how to combine steering and engine position with throttle. Took a while.

I also had to figure out (and watch others) the correct sequence to approach a dock/boat of engine position and direction, married to correct throttle. Angle of approach and speed, then turn engine hard and put in reverse, etc...

Practice...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In windy slow speed close quarters it seems natural to turn the wheel to adjust the bow in the direction one wants to go forward, while the wind is pushing the bow in the direction the wind wants to go, so the captain doesn't realize the stern is no longer behind him but more next to him, swinging out and and ready to go wack into a bow or pilling.

The normal re-action by the captain who does see his stern on the side is to apply more power which swings it out more, and does more damage.

This is the most common screw-up I've seen at the docks on windy days, some boaters continue to keep hitting stuff, not just one hit. The boat is out of control - no other way to call it. Get out of this guys way, very dangerous boater.

If you find yourself in this situation it is too late to correct it, and not wanting to damage your boat or other property, you have to stop the boat immediately by going full guns to reverse - no timid touch, now the boat will stop and if inneutral slowly drift with the wind and you can go to leeward side and push off whatever the boat is moving into.

Now, no damage will occur, but you are stuck from moving - pinned against whatever you are pushing off, hopefully someone will assist you and push you off more so.

Been then and done that!

Then only go in reverse and point motor into the wind and no other direction initially until you are clear, then tun off the wind a bit and the boat will move latterally while staying in reverse, fully under your control, not the wind's control, and you can howl at the wind that you beat at it's own game.

Ha Ha Ha.

I've gone down marina passes practically sideways to get thru, with the bow and stern just feet from clipping something. I have no problem staying in reverse all te way in or out- don't care what anybody says or points at.

Your backup plan has to be practiced, so practice on windy days going any direction you want by only keeping motor in reverse gear. That's right - reverse gear to go any direction you need to go.

What gets me now is not steady heavy wind but big gusty wind. So I try to move quick between gusts, no farting around, just get it done. But many times I have to abandon the approach and go full guns in reverse to get out of it, and try the approach again, and again.

The laws of probability will get you in, sooner or later.

Barlow46

Reaction score
I also have the 180 hull. That is one thing I first noticed when going to my first seaV2 hull. The steering response is quick and at the same time seems delayed. (if that makes sense) I try to keep in mind that when you turn the steering wheel only the back of the boat is actually moving offline since that is where the power is. Try making your steering corrections a little less drastic and increase your power just a hair. You will get used to it and come to really appreciate it when you need it. Good luck.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. We have made great progress in getting to know how our boat handles and that in itself has helped a great deal. We also deploy our trim tabs a bit at real low speed, coming into port etc. and this has helped alot. Every day is a bit different depending on the wind, how much canvas we have up, people in the boat etc.etc. so there is no set formula. We are looking at a big step up to a Seafarer 228, are they as fussy or does the bigger hull help. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Bukster