New Grady Owner

Pete1313

Reaction score
Just signed papers today on my new 1997 GW 248 Voyager! I'm in Washington and its in California, so I won't see it for a couple weeks, but I'm super excited!

Will post pics as soon as I can.

Deciding now on what new electronics to install....I think I"m going with a new C90W for charplotter/fishfinder and keeping the furuno radar on it.....

Add a few downriggers....pot puller....kicker....and we're ready to turn this Southern Cali boat into a Pac NW fish/shrimp/crab killer!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds Great! I know how excited I was when my Gulfstream was being made ready.
Hope all goes well with your installs..
Will you trailer much or keep it at a marina?

Pete1313

Reaction score
Boat is going to be trailered....I live 5 minutes from the marina...

Power is a 1997 250 OX66 EFI - that only has 150 hours on it! Motor checked out great by mechanic and ran like a champ on the sea trial.

I've got a few things to fix - one of the thru-hulls is cracked, a few hose clamps are corroded, the hose from the washdown seacock to the pump is rotted and needs to be replaced......and a few other things.....but all in all...not too much at all. The trailer is in tip top shape too-- pacific tandem bunk......

She has a radar arch and vista top--- only downside for a Pac NW boat....I may invest in a hardtop in the next couple years......but need to focus my cash on d-riggers, kicker and 'tronics first.......

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I grew up in the NW and boated the San Juans and north to the Queen Charlottes for 30 years. Some of the best cruising grounds in the world, for sure.

Back in the 80's I would drive from Seattle to Bellingham to sell office products to all the biggest users there, the paper, banks, Whatcom College, Uniflite when they were there, etc. Great little town. Should'a moved there and found a way to make an income.

Have fun chasing crab and salmon!

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats Pete1313 and welcome to the furum.
I have a 1996 Voyager and love it. Looking foward to see pics.

jellyfish

Reaction score
congrats on the new Grady White. Its a great boat enjoy!!

Pete1313

Reaction score
CJBrown - I love Bellingham and am lucky to live here....with the San Juans at my fingertips and Mt. Baker, Vancouver BC and Seattle just 2 hours away I think its the perfect place..oh yeah, I have a 2 mile commute to work!

Can't wait to get my boat up here!!

GWVOYAGER - I was looking at your pictures while in the process of purchasing my boat...you had some helpful posts! If you're in the helping mood, I actually could use some help: my boat won't be up here until March 12....and there are some great deals on the Raymarine C90W system pack (plotter/sounder) right now...that will be gone before it gets here. I need to know if that will fit in the electronics box next to a Furuno Navnet (7") unit (which I'll use for color radar only-- its a navnet one).

My thought was that I was going to flush mount them on a piece of starboard etc...get rid of the door to the electronics box.

Anyway - do you think you could give me the inside measurement of the electronics box on the GW voyager? that way I can see if the rear side of the units will fit inside the box and I can flush mount them to a piece of starboard fixed to the face of the box?

I guess maybe this should've been a PM....oh well :)

Thanks everyone for the wishes, and I'll post pictures when I get them!

sean hunter

Reaction score
i just bought my grady white sailfish 25 about a month ago, i live in seattle and my boat is moored in lake union. mabey i will see you out on the water. i have been catching winter chinooks. i think fishing is good now as i seem to be one of about 4 to 5 boats out there. i put lowrance on the boat they have amazing stuff. and i left the furuno sounder fish finder on board. and it had a small garmin i am keeping for a backup. i love my boat and i am sure you will too

Pez Vela

Reaction score
You are getting a nice boat ... congratulations. I have a couple of thoughts on your electronics choices. If you are going to configure your helm for a Raymarine C-Wide, I'd consider choosing the biggest one you can shoe-horn in there ... and maybe even do a little cutting if you need to. If the Furuno display interferes with the fit, move it out of the way to a temporary location. When the time is right (financially) simply add a Raymarine radar scanner to your C-Wide MFD. Since bigger is better when it comes to screen size, you'll have the largest one possible from the get go.

Pete1313

Reaction score
Pez Vela -

Thanks....I'm really excited. I purchased a Raymarine C90W-- from getfeetwet.com....they are great to deal with!

Anyhow, the C90W is teh only model I can fit in there without too much modification....I'm going to do a flushmount. I'll try to fit the furuno in the console, but like you said, if I can't, I'll put it somewhere else until I want to add the Raymarine Dome....

Thanks for the advice!

Pete

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Pete, Congrads & Good Luck. You won't be sorry in your choice of boat.

Pete1313

Reaction score
I'm excited about the Raymarine - my buddy has a C120 classic on his boat and its a great piece of equipment. I had the option of replacing the Furuno Navnet 7" w/ a NavNet VX2 radar/plotter for $1200 or get a whole new Raymarine plotter/sounder with ability to upgrade to HD radar in the future (C90W) for about $1100 more.....

The furuno and C90W will fit flushmount onto the electronics box (in place of the existing lexan door) with a little bit of side modification...about 3 cm on each side.....