New Grady Owner

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
After years of daydreaming of upgrading my 23 Mako walkaround I finally pulled the trigger this week and picked up a really really clean 1999 272 sailfish with twin 200 ox66. admittedly older than i wanted and not the 225 4 strokes that wanted but the condition was great and price was right. I am hoping for some advice on what to look out for on the hull as well as the engines.

Also looking for the storage bin that fits in the bench where the batteries are stored anyone know where to get a replacement?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd slowly go through here bow to stern. Just some ideas here...

Check electrical systems and bulbs, maybe upgrade to LED lights, review decks, stringers and transom for any softness or water intrusion. Use a good caulk and hit the transom and deck joints as needed. Check all zincs on motors and systems and replace as needed. Inspect anchor line and make sure ok. Review safety gear and ensure you have what is required for signaling, pfds, handheld radio or backup, first aid and monitoring (CO2 for instance). Build a ditch bag and keep it in handy location. Check radio and antenna and ensure solid. Check fluids engine, hydraulic steering, 2s oil and figure out what you will carry onboard. Inspect deckplates for proper seal to keep water out and new filters as needed. Check all hoses for age, double SS clamping and verify all thru hulls open and close properly. Wiper blades and proper operation. Battery connections clean and tight as well as ensure age and function. Prop condition and rework if needed. Maybe engine review unless you know conditions - internal zincs, plugs, filters, tank additives (ring free or equivalent), lower unit oil, tstats etc. Fire extinguishers recent and in green zone, tow membership.

Don't have to do all this in a day. I'd get inputs from folks and make your list and just work it.

Reactions: NiceBass 272

reelserious

Reaction score
"Also looking for the storage bin that fits in the bench where the batteries are stored anyone know where to get a replacement? "

I don't know which model year introduced the bin, but it was post 2000. I tried to get one for my 2000 Sailfish when they first started putting them in and was told they will not fit. Best of luck with the new boat. Going to be a long winter.

Reactions: NiceBass 272

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'd slowly go through here bow to stern. Just some ideas here...

Check electrical systems and bulbs, maybe upgrade to LED lights, review decks, stringers and transom for any softness or water intrusion. Use a good caulk and hit the transom and deck joints as needed. Check all zincs on motors and systems and replace as needed. Inspect anchor line and make sure ok. Review safety gear and ensure you have what is required for signaling, pfds, handheld radio or backup, first aid and monitoring (CO2 for instance). Build a ditch bag and keep it in handy location. Check radio and antenna and ensure solid. Check fluids engine, hydraulic steering, 2s oil and figure out what you will carry onboard. Inspect deckplates for proper seal to keep water out and new filters as needed. Check all hoses for age, double SS clamping and verify all thru hulls open and close properly. Wiper blades and proper operation. Battery connections clean and tight as well as ensure age and function. Prop condition and rework if needed. Maybe engine review unless you know conditions - internal zincs, plugs, filters, tank additives (ring free or equivalent), lower unit oil, tstats etc. Fire extinguishers recent and in green zone, tow membership.

Don't have to do all this in a day. I'd get inputs from folks and make your list and just work it.
thanks already started some of this but the led switch is a great idea ... where are the internal zincs located. I did a test drive but the season up here in the northeast so having it winterized my my mechanic which I have always done myself but wanted someone to got through it so there are no surprises in the spring.. it is going to be a long winter

Fishtales

Reaction score
Zincs depend on your motor design. I'd pull the manual and see where located. External ones should be easy to get to.