New Grady Owner!

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Hi Everyone!
We had a Sea Ray Sundancer 268 moved to a Dixie 821 and we are making our final boat purchase....a 2006 258 Journey with a 250 Yamaha. I have a question.... we had the engine pressure tested...all was great. It was suggested that by the mechanic to get the 200 hour maintenance done. We are paying good money for the boat....Do we ask to have it done before we buy it?....It's not like its an "as is"purchase. I would think something like that is done before we purchase...Right? or Wrong?

Attachments

• grady9.jpeg
    grady9.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 26

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
what year is the motor ? 200 hours is crazy low. Why hasnt the seller already completed that ? seems it would make a nice selling point. dealer or private seller ?? need more info for a question like that

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Sorry....forgot to add that....has 499.1 on a 2006.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Get an inspection of the exhaust housing for the dreaded exhaust corrosion. You can see that when the foot is off if you want them to change the water pump and do lower unit oil. Very low hours for a 2006. That year group was near the end of the exhaust corrosion problem but it still exists in the percentage of those motors. It was common enough that Yamaha developed a kit to repair the issue, it seems a relatively high percentage of those motors had the corrosion problem and in some cases ruined the head. My port 2006 F250 had corrosion into the oil pan at 450 hours covered under warranty, whereas the starboard engine was scoped and seem to be fine. I sold those engines at 1100 hrs and they were still running strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Will do! But at the expense of the current owner, right? It's a broker selling.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Regardless of who pays, I would have them change the water pump impellers, inspect the exhaust housings for corrosion, and inspect both thermostat housings for corrosion and change the thermostats. Those are the real only weak points of that engine. Everything is Negotiable!

Last edited:

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All good info, in order to do the water pump they have to drop the lower, when you drop the lower you get a nice look up inside the exhaust housing, so it's kind of a 2 for 1 there. You can't see every inch of it, but enough to tell if you have an issue in a motor of that vintage. As others have noted you may well be 'out of the woods' with that year but it's right on the cusp. It would be nice to know for sure.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd definitely have a surveyor look over the boat with you as well as one that can hopefully drop the lower unit on the motor and inspect for the dry exhaust corrosion problem at the same time. A good surveyor shouldn't charge more than probably $700-800 to do both of those things, dependent upon location and availability. Attached are a couple of links for accredited marine surveyors if you do decide to go that route, which I think is a very good idea for any boat purchase, especially one that's 16 years old. The dry exhaust corrosion issue, as stated above, can still be an issue with this vintage of motors, although it's typically seen more in the 2002 - 2008 ish Yamaha F225's as opposed to the F250's. Good luck with the boat purchase, hopefully everything works out as planned and you get your dream boat.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
RE: Exhaust Corrosion:

I had it in my 2006 F200's on my Gulfstream. An '06 250 can definitely have it.

As others have said, have it checked out thoroughly before buying.

Reactions: ItalianAngler

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd ask this to be done by the seller and have the engine scoped. Short money and you will have confidence.

Stephenf

Reaction score
Model
Journey
Can I ask what numbers you get at wide open. I have the same setup very low hours and it seems like I am not getting g the rpm’s I should. i purchased mid season last year …. Was gonna look at ch aging my prop