New Grady White 208 owner with few winch/hardware qn's

Gamechanger

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have just acquired a clean 97, GW 208.
She will get a repower at some point as the 175 SW Yamaha whilst bullet proof is probably a tad thirsty.
I need a pulpit and a winch, am wondering where I source the factory pulpit from and what is the winch of choice for the 208 (assuming one can be accommodated) by the owners here?
I've purchased a Furuno 585 Sounder, (new) and will have that installed after it gets shipped.
I'm wondering if anyone here as installed the Springfield Marine "flip up seats" switching out their factory seats as these are good for driving whilst standing and I've used them before.
Any advice, words or wisdom and or caution appreciated.
Regards,
Dan

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome aboard...

The 175 SW is a bulletproof motor..if you can keep the RPMS under 4000 or so, the fuel economy is tolerable...open it up and it gets thirsty.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the board! My 2 cents... run that 175 until it dies. With ours, the sweet spot is 4000-4200 RPM's where we can get 2.8 mpg on nice water, but the fuel economy curve is fairly flat from 3600 to 4400 RPM's. Guys posting numbers with 4-strokes are getting about 1 mpg better than I am. Do the math on the ROI. For the amount of money a repower costs, you can buy a lot of fuel! :)

Have fun with it. It's a great little boat!

seasick

Reaction score
Gamechanger said:
Hi Guys,
I have just acquired a clean 97, GW 208.
She will get a repower at some point as the 175 SW Yamaha whilst bullet proof is probably a tad thirsty.
I need a pulpit and a winch, am wondering where I source the factory pulpit from and what is the winch of choice for the 208 (assuming one can be accommodated) by the owners here?
I've purchased a Furuno 585 Sounder, (new) and will have that installed after it gets shipped.
I'm wondering if anyone here as installed the Springfield Marine "flip up seats" switching out their factory seats as these are good for driving whilst standing and I've used them before.
Any advice, words or wisdom and or caution appreciated.
Regards,
Dan
I think you can still order a pulpit from a Grady dealer but be sitting when you price it out especially if you want the railing to match.
You can make a good roller bracket work just as well as a pulpit. Mounting the winch is a bit challenging since you have to modily/reinforce the anchor locker as well as run the electric ( The feed may be in the head liner already but it will be sized for a 40 amp breake I think. Some of the newer winches need larger feeds.

One thing to also note is that if you dock in a marina, a lot of them price by the actual LOA and not the registered boat length. Adding a pulpit may affect your dock rates.

As to the seats I am not familiar with that model but note that if it needs a different pedestal, make sure it fits. The 208 has D shapped pedestal bases and finding seats with D pedestals is just about impossible.

Gamechanger

Reaction score
Thanks to you guys for the response and suggestions.
I will post an update when I get the issues actioned and underway!
Happy Independence Day from Australia!
Dan

Gamechanger

Reaction score
Correction.
Previous sale fell through.
However, now signed a contract for 2003 GW 208 with 200 HP Yam Hpdi.
Pulpit, Hardtop in the pkg, just needs winch and curtains.