New Grady White SailFish Owner!

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got my dream boat. Just picked up a 1999 27' 2" Sailfish with twin 225's..

I fish out of New York Harbor/New Jersey, any other guys in that area?

Quick question to start off to this forum, just like someone else once posted: just picked up my boat, horn worked when it was picked up and now it doesn't, any recommendations?

Also what kind of hull compound and wax do yo guys use on your boats?>

Look forward to this message board :mrgreen:

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First of all, good luck with the boat, one of my favorites but I wanted to be able to tow it home off season.

I just got the horn working by spraying CRC 6-56 into the housing, into the wire grommets, up into the horn orifice and just keep working the button. Now I toot (the horn) every time I board. I have been spraying regularly into the housing and it is sounding strong. I always try to repair items before purchasing new. Sometimes it works, sometimes you only buy a little time, and sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and buy new stuff.

Here is an AWESOME link for polishing and waxing that I follow very closely and the process and material has worked great for me. I purchased the products recommended and am very satisfied. It is not a sales pitch.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... h-wax.html

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Congratulations and good luck with the new boat! I boat in Raritan Bay NJ and further south. Maybe I will see you out there. As far as waxing I use Collinite Paste Wax works excellent but I also like that link above it shows in detail how to do it right you cant go wrong there! Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat!

I use the #870 Collinite cleaner/wax and then use Maguire's Marine wax once a year. Some here do it a lot more, I don't seem to need it. I used the Collinite paste in the past and it was great. Just hard to work with and to be honest the Maguire's works just as good for me.
On the glass enclosure I use Plexus cleaner, I used a 2 step Maguires (white and blue bottle) in the past, again it was a 2 step process and the Plexus worked just as good for me.

Some good things to have in the cleaning:
Magic Erasers, Softscrub with Bleach, RainX for the windshield, Anco wiper blade refills - you'll need to do your homework on size, but they are much cheaper, water treatment for freshwater, blue head stuff to help with that holding tank.

GW provides a plastic snap tool to assist with cushon and enclosure snap removal. I'd look around and see if you can get one. If you need striping, see you GW dealer. Easy to get by the foot, but there are more variations than you think - best to bring a piece from your boat to match up.

Have fun!