New guy here with a few questions about a 228 Seafarer

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I weighed my 226 on the trailer once and it came in at 6500 lb. I don't remember if I had a full tank of gas or not.

I used to tow with a V6 4 Runner, with a 5 K tow rating. My boat and trailer at that time was only around 4, 000 lb. I towed in the mountains and had to remove the surge brakes because they would overheat going downhill. I would sometimes pull the same boat with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram and the difference was like day and night with respect to stability and stopping.

I would not want to tow a 228 with a Tacoma even on flat terrain. The trunk is just too light. The Tundra is a whole 'nuther beast and will move and stop a 228 just fine.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but I towed my 21' Arima with my buddy's 2010 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L, I believe, motor and it was like towing a dinghy. I've never weighed my current boat but they estimate it to be at around 4,000lbs for the boat, motor and trailer. Guys on the Arima forum said they weighed their boats and were closer to the 5,000lbs range for boat, motor and trailer. I know the GW 228 Seafarer is considerably bigger but can't imagine it would be much more noticeable pulling it behind a Toyota Tundra compared to my Arima.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah what you are looking for is usually in the very high 20’s if not 30k+. And if you go four stroke I would personally recommend a 250.

Thank you for the advice. I'm currently looking at two 228 Seafarers online, both are 2000 and newer with a 225 Yamaha and a 250 Yamaha. One has the skip top and the other doesn't but both are under $20k and come with a trailer. The one that has the skip top, I've emailed the guy twice over the past couple days and I haven't heard anything back from him about whether it's still for sale or not. Unfortunately there's no phone number listed on the ad and it's via email correspondence only. The one without the skip top has a Yamaha 225 outboard and it is also a 4 stroke with low hours. What would it cost to ad a skip top to the boat? It just has a bimini style canvas top on it, which I don't think would provide much protection from the sun and whatnot. I'm thinking it wouldn't be cost effective adding a skip top to the boat as I'm assuming that would add on another $5k or more right?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The current model Tacoma has a higher output than the last generation but is built on pretty much the same chassis. I don’t doubt that it can tow and stop a 226/228 with trailer brakes so it comes down to individual preference.

I tow a 208 with a 2015 Tundra with the 5.7 and like having the weight of the 1/2 ton for stopping power. It also puts a lot less strain on the drivetrain which is important since I tend to hang on to vehicles for a while.

Also take into consideration the speeds you’ll be driving and how other drivers in your area are. Do they give you space while towing or are they prone to cutting in?

I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but I towed my 21' Arima with my buddy's 2010 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L, I believe, motor and it was like towing a dinghy. I've never weighed my current boat but they estimate it to be at around 4,000lbs for the boat, motor and trailer. Guys on the Arima forum said they weighed their boats and were closer to the 5,000lbs range for boat, motor and trailer. I know the GW 228 Seafarer is considerably bigger but can't imagine it would be much more noticeable pulling it behind a Toyota Tundra compared to my Arima.

The 2010 Tundra with the 5.7 will tow a 228 just fine. Same engine and transmission as the current model; just different sheet metal.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you for the advice. I'm currently looking at two 228 Seafarers online, both are 2000 and newer with a 225 Yamaha and a 250 Yamaha. One has the skip top and the other doesn't but both are under $20k and come with a trailer. The one that has the skip top, I've emailed the guy twice over the past couple days and I haven't heard anything back from him about whether it's still for sale or not. Unfortunately there's no phone number listed on the ad and it's via email correspondence only. The one without the skip top has a Yamaha 225 outboard and it is also a 4 stroke with low hours. What would it cost to ad a skip top to the boat? It just has a bimini style canvas top on it, which I don't think would provide much protection from the sun and whatnot. I'm thinking it wouldn't be cost effective adding a skip top to the boat as I'm assuming that would add on another $5k or more right?
Well 2002 and up is when they came with four strokes. If older and repowered then most likely hull has a lot of hours. Skip top mean hard top? If you prefer the hard top then best bet is to look for one with it. From what I have read it cost a lot to have one made. 2001 and up seafarer has the newer style hard top and electronics box. Most of them ads when I was looking for Seafarer’s were scams.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The current model Tacoma has a higher output than the last generation but is built on pretty much the same chassis. I don’t doubt that it can tow and stop a 226/228 with trailer brakes so it comes down to individual preference.

I tow a 208 with a 2015 Tundra with the 5.7 and like having the weight of the 1/2 ton for stopping power. It also puts a lot less strain on the drivetrain which is important since I tend to hang on to vehicles for a while.

Also take into consideration the speeds you’ll be driving and how other drivers in your area are. Do they give you space while towing or are they prone to cutting in?

The 2010 Tundra with the 5.7 will tow a 228 just fine. Same engine and transmission as the current model; just different sheet metal.

Definitely agree. I'd be more than a little cautious towing a 226/228 Seafarer with a Tacoma, especially around here in the Seattle area with all of the hills, rain and so on. The Tundra seems like it would be more than capable of being up to the task of towing a 228, with some power and whatnot to spare.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well 2002 and up is when they came with four strokes. If older and repowered then most likely hull has a lot of hours. Skip top mean hard top? If you prefer the hard top then best bet is to look for one with it. From what I have read it cost a lot to have one made. 2001 and up seafarer has the newer style hard top and electronics box. Most of them ads when I was looking for Seafarer’s were scams.

Yes a hard top. I guess I call them skip tops because I'm used to my Arima as they have both a skip top version and fully enclosed hard top version as well. I noticed on this forum that someone had posed a similar question about putting a hard top on a boat that didn't come with a hardtop and saw this website. I'm trying to keep my purchase price around $25k or less and if I could get the boat itself for under $20k, I wouldn't mind spending the extra $5k on the hardtop and installing it myself. Anyone ever done something like this before? Also, is a Yamaha 225 hp outboard enough for the 228 Seafarer or is the 250 really what you want? My current boat is a 21' Arima with a Honda 130 hp outboard and max speed is 35 mph at WOT. I definitely don't need to be doing 50 mph on the water or anything, my biggest concern I guess would be getting on a plane and a decent hole shot. On the GW website they say a new 228 Seafarer with a Yamaha 250 hp outboard does 48.3 mph at WOT. I'm assuming those are in perfect conditions and with probably little weight and fuel in the tank and that it probably isn't very typical in the real world. That being said, if I did purchase a boat with a 225 hp outboard and only topped out at 45 mph at WOT, I'd be more than ok with that. Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes a hard top. I guess I call them skip tops because I'm used to my Arima as they have both a skip top version and fully enclosed hard top version as well. I noticed on this forum that someone had posed a similar question about putting a hard top on a boat that didn't come with a hardtop and saw this website. I'm trying to keep my purchase price around $25k or less and if I could get the boat itself for under $20k, I wouldn't mind spending the extra $5k on the hardtop and installing it myself. Anyone ever done something like this before? Also, is a Yamaha 225 hp outboard enough for the 228 Seafarer or is the 250 really what you want? My current boat is a 21' Arima with a Honda 130 hp outboard and max speed is 35 mph at WOT. I definitely don't need to be doing 50 mph on the water or anything, my biggest concern I guess would be getting on a plane and a decent hole shot. Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Yeah It’s enough power. Will be faster then your current boat. Obviously more power the better lol :)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah It’s enough power. Will be faster then your current boat. Obviously more power the better lol :)

Agreed. It's just difficult finding the perfect boat with everything you want and for the right price. There's a good deal of 228 Seafarer's out there but the ones that are from 2000 and newer, with a hardtop and a 250 hp outboard for the right price aren't too common. Thanks again!

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. It's just difficult finding the perfect boat with everything you want and for the right price. There's a good deal of 228 Seafarer's out there but the ones that are from 2000 and newer, with a hardtop and a 250 hp outboard for the right price aren't too common. Thanks again!
Lol my original boat I was looking for was a 2005+ 282. Then plans changed and got a seafarer. Don’t get hung up on the features and all what you want because most likely in five years you are going to get 2’itis and want something bigger lol.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lol my original boat I was looking for was a 2005+ 282. Then plans changed and got a seafarer. Don’t get hung up on the features and all what you want because most likely in five years you are going to get 2’itis and want something bigger lol.

Lol you're probably right. I figured my 21' Arima would be my "forever boat" but goodness it sure gives you a beating when it's choppy out. My uncle had a mid 90's Bayliner Trophy before that was over 26' and was a huge boat for one person to fish in by themselves. I told myself after that boat that I'd do something considerably smaller and the Arima has worked out great for what I need it to do. My parents have a cabin on Whidbey Island here in the Puget Sound so it's relatively protected and don't think that I'd ever need something bigger than a 21-22' boat. That being said, comfort in cruddy conditions is always something on the back of my mind as we all know how quickly the weather conditions can change and don't want to be stuck 15 miles away getting sprayed and pounded all the way back home for an hour or more. On top of that, it would be nice to have a bigger cabin to sleep in or at least be able to stand partially up and store other things. The Arima cabin is long enough to sleep in, I believe it's about 6.5' - 7' in length but it's only about 3' tall and gets a little cramped. Plus, it's basically a dedicated fishing boat. Sure you could ski or inner tube behind it or just take it cruising or to Sea Fair, but it's basically a dedicated fishing boat at the end of the day. It's a nice boat and keeps its resale value incredibly well but I'm thinking about something slightly bigger, nicer and more comfortable.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been in a couple of different 226/228 boats with either the 225 or 250. The 250 is perfect for that hull. The 225 is OK, especially for the Pacific NW as long as you prop it correctly. You want to use a 15-16" prop so that the engine turns close to 6000 rpm with your normal load.

The main difference between the engines is that the 250 (even the older 3.3 L block), has a lot more midrange torque. This helps you keep the boat on plane at lower speeds.

The other issue is that the older 225s are much more likely to have exhaust midsection corrosion problems. Most of the 250s manufactured after October 2007 seem to be OK.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been in a couple of different 226/228 boats with either the 225 or 250. The 250 is perfect for that hull. The 225 is OK, especially for the Pacific NW as long as you prop it correctly. You want to use a 15-16" prop so that the engine turns close to 6000 rpm with your normal load.

The main difference between the engines is that the 250 (even the older 3.3 L block), has a lot more midrange torque. This helps you keep the boat on plane at lower speeds.

The other issue is that the older 225s are much more likely to have exhaust midsection corrosion problems. Most of the 250s manufactured after October 2007 seem to be OK.
Yeah the 250 3.3L has variable cams and makes a huge difference in midrange torque. Test drive the two to feel it. Makes for better water sports or heavy fishing loads better. Lol just more power always better.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah the 250 3.3L has variable cams and makes a huge difference in midrange torque. Test drive the two to feel it. Makes for better water sports or heavy fishing loads better. Lol just more power always better.
The hull truth guys say the 225 is more like 208 prop power where as the 250 is more like 260. Take it for what it’s worth but they just have to be within 10% of the rated hood advertised power and the 225 is essentially a 200 with emm changes.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes a hard top. I guess I call them skip tops because I'm used to my Arima as they have both a skip top version and fully enclosed hard top version as well. I noticed on this forum that someone had posed a similar question about putting a hard top on a boat that didn't come with a hardtop and saw this website. I'm trying to keep my purchase price around $25k or less and if I could get the boat itself for under $20k, I wouldn't mind spending the extra $5k on the hardtop and installing it myself. Anyone ever done something like this before? Also, is a Yamaha 225 hp outboard enough for the 228 Seafarer or is the 250 really what you want? My current boat is a 21' Arima with a Honda 130 hp outboard and max speed is 35 mph at WOT. I definitely don't need to be doing 50 mph on the water or anything, my biggest concern I guess would be getting on a plane and a decent hole shot. On the GW website they say a new 228 Seafarer with a Yamaha 250 hp outboard does 48.3 mph at WOT. I'm assuming those are in perfect conditions and with probably little weight and fuel in the tank and that it probably isn't very typical in the real world. That being said, if I did purchase a boat with a 225 hp outboard and only topped out at 45 mph at WOT, I'd be more than ok with that. Thanks again everyone for your comments.

I just bought my 2000 228 Seafarer in the Fall. Unless repowered, I didn’t see any with 250 that went on the market. Some were available with just a Bimini top but once I heard the cost for replacing with a hardtop, I narrowed my search down to those with hardtop.

Also, full enclosures is another thing to look for. They run about 2500-3000 if you need to get them for the hardtop.

No complaints with the 225...I only opened her up on the test run but not since then and think it’s good enough. If repowering will probably do 250 but I wouldn’t really focus on that in your search.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That is correct , fitted with all factory options , the biggest engine (300HP) and full tank ( they only have one 125 G, your 2020 has 114 Grtank ) and full water tank (10G).
Gear and trailer on the top, depending on how much gear and trailer weight could go over 7000. If you have aluminum trailer with 6.5" rails and lots of gear she will go over 7000.
6400 without gear and 5.5" rails .

Reactions: JJMag

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I owned a 228, I had it weighed. With about 140 gallons of fuel, hardtop, gear etc it weighed 6500 including a 6.5” I beam aluminum trailer. The 7K GVW trailer fits it perfectly.