New GW Freedom 335

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience as it has certainly helped me in my decision making process.

capeman, I know this must be an exciting time getting this pretty girl all dressed up. Once you get her home and she is ready to use we can all help you with a lot of the really important things like using just a dab of 4200 to hold a neodymium magnet just the right distance below the beer opener so the caps don't get underfoot. You know...the really serious stuff.:D

Reactions: capeman

crabdaddy

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I've made the decision to upgrade from my Freedom 255 to the 335. Boat ordered and now I am thinking about electronics. I ran with Garmin gear on the 255 and likely will go with them on the new boat. That said, I have a coupe of questions for the experts out there.

- I have room for 2x 16" displays. So I am leaning towards the 8616xsv for both displays. Gives me options for more transducers and a backup if one unit fails. Wondering if this strategy makes sense or should I not spend the extra $500 for the second display?
- Has anyone used the GRID 20 which is the small control panel that can be used instead of the touchscreens? Wondering if its really worth $250 extra.
- I'd like to extend my mission capabilities and do some night time boating. I can buy a FLIR system but wonder if in practice whether it is useful or not. I won't be able to spend more than $3-4k on the unit.
- Should I go with AIS? I will be boating in the offshore locations that overlay shipping lanes off of cape cod. Thinking its a good safety measure, but its not a cheap option.
- Always a challenge to select the transducer. I believe its rather challenging to do a thru hull on the Grady. So, transom mount seems like the best choice. That said, I fish mainly in 20'-60' of water and no more than 500' when offshore. Wondering if I should get 1 or 2 transducers and if so what models would be best for my use cases?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I recently just purchased a Grady and new to this forum but 2 years ago I had purchased a new Tidewater CC and went with a similar setup.

Garmin GPSMAP 8617's x 2
Garmin Fantom 24 Radome
Garmin GXM 53 SiriusXM Receiver
Garmin GHP Steer-by-wire Autopilot
Garmin GSD 25 Premium Sonar Module
Garmin GT50M-THP transducers

I installed it all myself and learned a lot. You will love it. I'm a geek by heart and trade and I played with the setup non-stop. I agree with all the other advice that was offered.

Definitely go with AIS VHF. It integrated seamlessly into the displays functionality. The Fantom motion-scope/doplar feature is very handy. If you are going this far you have to add the AP. Its basically plug/play with the drive by wire engines. I used the AP most for the shadow drive and heading hold functionality and not sure I would get another boat without it. I thought long and hard about the FLIR but passed. I relied more on my radar when cruising at dark.

I was told the GT50's were better suited for shallow waters (<100ft), the GT51's for deeper waters when asking around. I only got offshore to the canyons a few times. Once we got over ~500ft they couldn't read bottom anymore. If I had to do it again I would have went with the GT51's. Not sure how much better resolution I had in the shallow waters with the GT50's. I also installed a pair as I wanted the sidevu/clearvu functionality. But honestly once the novelty wore off I barely used that functionality.

Lastly, make sure the installer or you order the memory card reader. It is (or was) a separate item not included with the displays. And you can't update the software without it.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out. I did a build thread in the Tidewater owners forum if you plans on installing yourself. Can't wait to see pictures of your setup.

https://www.tidewaterowners.com/280cc-electronics-build-thread-t1894-s40.html

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9109.jpg
    IMG_9109.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: capeman

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I recently just purchased a Grady and new to this forum but 2 years ago I had purchased a new Tidewater CC and went with a similar setup.

Garmin GPSMAP 8617's x 2
Garmin Fantom 24 Radome
Garmin GXM 53 SiriusXM Receiver
Garmin GHP Steer-by-wire Autopilot
Garmin GSD 25 Premium Sonar Module
Garmin GT50M-THP transducers

I installed it all myself and learned a lot. You will love it. I'm a geek by heart and trade and I played with the setup non-stop. I agree with all the other advice that was offered.

Definitely go with AIS VHF. It integrated seamlessly into the displays functionality. The Fantom motion-scope/doplar feature is very handy. If you are going this far you have to add the AP. Its basically plug/play with the drive by wire engines. I used the AP most for the shadow drive and heading hold functionality and not sure I would get another boat without it. I thought long and hard about the FLIR but passed. I relied more on my radar when cruising at dark.

I was told the GT50's were better suited for shallow waters (<100ft), the GT51's for deeper waters when asking around. I only got offshore to the canyons a few times. Once we got over ~500ft they couldn't read bottom anymore. If I had to do it again I would have went with the GT51's. Not sure how much better resolution I had in the shallow waters with the GT50's. I also installed a pair as I wanted the sidevu/clearvu functionality. But honestly once the novelty wore off I barely used that functionality.

Lastly, make sure the installer or you order the memory card reader. It is (or was) a separate item not included with the displays. And you can't update the software without it.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out. I did a build thread in the Tidewater owners forum if you plans on installing yourself. Can't wait to see pictures of your setup.

https://www.tidewaterowners.com/280cc-electronics-build-thread-t1894-s40.html

Matt

Thanks Matt. I will go w/ a single GT51-TH as I believe it can be mounted very close to the centerline. Should I consider purchasing a traditional transducer 50/200 ??

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Selecting transducers these days can be dizzying.
Below are the specs for the sonar of the 8616xsv that you said you were getting.
I am not certain of the sonar connections on those units. My guess is there is one transducer connector and it can also connect to black box sonars thru the network.
It can't run 2 transducers?

Dual-frequency (50/200 kHz) sonar capable
Dual-beam (77/200 kHz) sonar capable
Frequencies supported
Traditional: 50/200, 77/200, 83/200
Single Channel CHIRP: 40-250
Dual Channel CHIRP: 40-250
SideVü/ClearVü: CHIRP 260/455/800
Ultra High-Definition ClearVü: 0.8 MHz (800 kHz), CHIRP range: 760-880 kHz
Ultra High-Definition SideVü: 1.2 MHz (1,200 kHz), CHIRP range: 1,060-1,170 kHz
(dependent on transducer)
Transmit power 1 kW traditional; 1 kW CHIRP

You need a transducer that will do the things you want..at the highest power...
You absolutely need one of the GT models to utilize the SideVu.

GT34UHD is for ultraHighDef shallow water...don't think you want that
GT41
Perfect for the coastal and offshore fisherman who want traditional sonar, CHIRP ClearVü and CHIRP SideVü scanning sonar in a stainless steel stem
The CHIRP ClearVü/ SideVü elements have a power rating of 500 W per element (1,500 W total) and operating frequencies of 260/455 kHz.
The traditional sonar has a power rating of 600 W and operating frequencies of 50/200 kHz. It includes a built-in fast-response temperature sensor.

GT50
Perfect for the shallow water fisherman who want CHIRP traditional sonar, CHIRP ClearVü and CHIRP SideVü scanning sonar,
The CHIRP ClearVü/SideVü elements have a power rating of 500 W per element (1,500 W total) and operating frequencies of 455/800 kHz.
The traditional CHIRP sonar has a power rating of 300 W and operating frequencies of mid-band CHIRP 80-160 kHz. It also includes a built-in fast response temperature sensor.

GT51
Perfect for the coastal and offshore fisherman who want CHIRP traditional sonar, CHIRP ClearVü and CHIRP SideVü scanning sonar with a stainless steel stem,
The CHIRP ClearVü/ SideVü elements have a power rating of 500 W per element and operating frequencies of 260/455 kHz.
The traditional CHIRP sonar has a power rating of 600 W and operating frequencies of mid-band CHIRP 80-160 kHz. It includes a built-in fast-response temperature sensor.

So if you are getting two 8616xsv with sonar units then you wouldn't want two GT51s.
I would opt for an Airmar B164 (traditional) . They are high power 50/200khz and will get you deep and work well while running.
You'll be able to use a range of your sonar that the GT51doesn't support.
They are flush thru-hulls, so placement is not as much an issue

Give this a read... Airmar transducer guide

bac0701

Reaction score
get the flir later and learn to use your radar

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Selecting transducers these days can be dizzying.
Below are the specs for the sonar of the 8616xsv that you said you were getting.
I am not certain of the sonar connections on those units. My guess is there is one transducer connector and it can also connect to black box sonars thru the network.
It can't run 2 transducers?

Dual-frequency (50/200 kHz) sonar capable
Dual-beam (77/200 kHz) sonar capable
Frequencies supported

Traditional: 50/200, 77/200, 83/200
Single Channel CHIRP: 40-250
Dual Channel CHIRP: 40-250
SideVü/ClearVü: CHIRP 260/455/800
Ultra High-Definition ClearVü: 0.8 MHz (800 kHz), CHIRP range: 760-880 kHz
Ultra High-Definition SideVü: 1.2 MHz (1,200 kHz), CHIRP range: 1,060-1,170 kHz
(dependent on transducer)
Transmit power 1 kW traditional; 1 kW CHIRP

You need a transducer that will do the things you want..at the highest power...
You absolutely need one of the GT models to utilize the SideVu.

GT34UHD is for ultraHighDef shallow water...don't think you want that
GT41
Perfect for the coastal and offshore fisherman who want traditional sonar, CHIRP ClearVü and CHIRP SideVü scanning sonar in a stainless steel stem
The CHIRP ClearVü/ SideVü elements have a power rating of 500 W per element (1,500 W total) and operating frequencies of 260/455 kHz.
The traditional sonar has a power rating of 600 W and operating frequencies of 50/200 kHz. It includes a built-in fast-response temperature sensor.

GT50
Perfect for the shallow water fisherman who want CHIRP traditional sonar, CHIRP ClearVü and CHIRP SideVü scanning sonar,
The CHIRP ClearVü/SideVü elements have a power rating of 500 W per element (1,500 W total) and operating frequencies of 455/800 kHz.
The traditional CHIRP sonar has a power rating of 300 W and operating frequencies of mid-band CHIRP 80-160 kHz. It also includes a built-in fast response temperature sensor.

GT51
Perfect for the coastal and offshore fisherman who want CHIRP traditional sonar, CHIRP ClearVü and CHIRP SideVü scanning sonar with a stainless steel stem,
The CHIRP ClearVü/ SideVü elements have a power rating of 500 W per element and operating frequencies of 260/455 kHz.
The traditional CHIRP sonar has a power rating of 600 W and operating frequencies of mid-band CHIRP 80-160 kHz. It includes a built-in fast-response temperature sensor.

So if you are getting two 8616xsv with sonar units then you wouldn't want two GT51s.
I would opt for an Airmar B164 (traditional) . They are high power 50/200khz and will get you deep and work well while running.
You'll be able to use a range of your sonar that the GT51doesn't support.
They are flush thru-hulls, so placement is not as much an issue

Give this a read... Airmar transducer guide

I've gone back and forth on the GT50 vs GT51. Given I am based on the Cape right now I will be typically be fishing in 20-100 ft with planned trips further offshore operating in 200-500 ft. That said, the GT50 seems to be the right transducer for < 150ft of water. I am considering a B175M which would give me (1kw / frequency of 85-135 kHz; a beam width of 11-16 degrees ) and depth up to 1700 ft for offshore excursions.

To your point, there are so many different options its difficult to narrow it down.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
get the flir later and learn to use your radar

Agree that the FLIR that I could afford won't really be worth the $$. I've been running w/ radar for a couple of years and have learned to make good use of it. Critical you know how to use radar BEFORE you find yourself in fog or night conditions.