New Hatch for Islander.

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi everyone ! I believe my boat (268 Islander) has a problem that's common for that model: The Hatch (about 46" x 43") above the fuel tank has a soft spot; but the top has no cracks at all, I had someone today who gave a price to re-core it- $750.00. What do you guys think about this quote, and the most important: Am I able to buy a new hatch (instead of fixing the old one)? and if so, Where ? Thanks.

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had my 268 deck plate done around 7 years ago for $300 so that’s probably not a bad price. Just make sure you seal the two inspection plates very good. Also, once you have the plate off check the tops of the stringers. Mine were fiberglassed all the way up the sides about an 1/2 inch over the top of the stringer but the top was never glasses. It created a channel over the bare wood of the stringers that the water just sat in and rotted them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's not really a problem that's specific to a 268 - it's a problem that's specific to any boat with a cored hatch - and especially older ones that may have had previous owner's putting holes in it and not sealing it properly... or owners not regularly re-sealing the access plates. In other words, typically due to lack of maintenance. But, this means there is tons of information about re-coring a hatch available for searching/reading. There's plenty even just on this site that you can search for.

No, buying a new one would be very costly - if you could even get it, which is unlikely. Repairing is easy for anyone with basic skills. The cost - which $750 is VERY fair ($300 is downright ridiculously cheap) - is all about labor. The materials are a small part of the cost.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I re-did mine myself. You are not going to find a new-old-stock one. Rebuilding it ,if done right, will be the last hatch you need. Search my posts to see how it was done

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadeco

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
How long took you to do it? What material for the core? How did you attach the core to the fiberglass? PL/Liquid Nails/resin ???? Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm going to say its a 12 hour project broken up over a few days. The first thing you need to do is flip it over and use a rotary cutter to cut around the edges to free the "bottom" fiberglass. If the hatch is bad at least one edge have already broken. Then carefully separate the bottom. Then you have to get the plywood squares out. I used a wide chisel and popped them out one at a time. This is the cleaned up hatch.

Hatch 1.jpeg

I used Coosa board. It's a composite material this is 3X the cost of marine plywood. It won't rot. You can use plywood but you have to be careful that everything is sealed. I used West System epoxy with SLOW hardener. It was done as one piece but could be done in squares. I vacuum bagged the part to squeeze the fiberglass shell and the Coosa board together. This get's all the air out and brings the epoxy to the top. The result is a more complete bonding

Hatch 3.jpeg

Stiffener support added.

Dech Hatch Coosa.jpeg

All the screw holes were over drilled but not thru the fiberglass hatch. Then the underside was covered with fiberglass cloth and resin and vacuum bagged again to get the air out. Afterwards the screw holes were drilled out from the fiberglass side. Sorry - I don't have a finished picture.

I recommend using epoxy and not polyester. Polyester isn't a good choice for repairs. It doesn't bond well to "old" polyester which is used during the build process because it's less expensive. Difficult to control the "working time".

Also vacuum bagging isn't required but it isn't hard to do and results in a stronger part.

Last edited:

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm going to say its a 12 hour project broken up over a few days. The first thing you need to do is flip it over and use a rotary cutter to cut around the edges to free the "bottom" fiberglass. If the hatch is bad at least one edge have already broken. Then carefully separate the bottom. Then you have to get the plywood squares out. I used a wide chisel and popped them out one at a time. This is the cleaned up hatch.

View attachment 24198

I used Coosa board. It's a composite material this is 3X the cost of marine plywood. It won't rot. You can use plywood but you have to be careful that everything is sealed. I used West System epoxy with SLOW hardener. It was done as one piece but could be done in squares. I vacuum bagged the part to squeeze the fiberglass shell and the Coosa board together. This get's all the air out and brings the epoxy to the top. The result is a more complete bonding

View attachment 24199

Stiffener support added.

View attachment 24197

All the screw holes were over drilled but not thru the fiberglass hatch. Then the underside was covered with fiberglass cloth and resin and vacuum bagged again to get the air out. Afterwards the screw holes were drilled out from the fiberglass side. Sorry - I don't have a finished picture.

I recommend using epoxy and not polyester. Polyester isn't a good choice for repairs. It doesn't bond well to "old" polyester which is used during the build process because it's less expensive. Difficult to control the "working time".

Also vacuum bagging isn't required but it isn't hard to do and results in a stronger part.
Well, thanks. I will start looking at videos on the YouTube to learn how to do the vacuum bag thing and see if i have enough skills to do it myself. I would try to do it even if it would cost me the same as I was quoted, just to have something on the boat I could say " I did it"! I will post on the results, have i done it opr not !

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You need a vacuum pump, some vinyl tubing, heavy sheet plastic 4 mil or better from Home Depot and "sticky tape" from FiberGlast.com.

greauxpete

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Check out my panel rebuild starting on post # 28 on this thread:

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi Guys.
I did it myself!!! I had a piece of 5 ply 5/8" from an old job and used it to do the re-core. I made the stiffening pieces (like a ladder) w/ 2 pieces of the same plywood screwed and glued together. Reading/learning on the web i decided to use epoxy for sealing the plywood and glue on the top. My reasoning for the plywood is :" If the original plywood lasted for 24 years, this will must last the same time". No need to use expensive stuff. The end was done w/ stranded mat and after that i used that rubber spray " as seen on tv" to make sure no water ever will be there. I spent around $300,00 ( including the plywood ( assumed cost) and love what i did. Don even have to say i saved some good money.- The holes for lid were filled w/ thickened epoxy , so no water will access from there.