New here Overnighter 204C

FFscott6

Reaction score
Glad I found this site. We will be picking up our "new to us" Overnighter. It is a 1979 Model. I don't have it home yet (next weekend) but here are a couple of pictures. PO does not have any manual or books and I contacted GW they are helpful but don't have much in the data base (too old) I was hoping the origal dealer but they don't know that either :-( I do have a couple brochures they sent. If anyone has a book... dare I ask for a copy at least the important parts (wiring diag etc.)

Looking forward to some good chat. Scott in PA (we boat on the Chesapeake flats)

Attachments

• 21ft grady white (small).jpg
    21ft grady white (small).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 4,594
  • 21 GW power end (small).jpg
    21 GW power end (small).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4,594

FFscott6

Reaction score
:uhm Hmmm no responses yet... I either made a good deal on an older boat or no one wants to tell me the bad news :<><

Please let me know something. I did email GW factory and theydo not have much (too old) but they are willing to check out some pics. I did get a wire color chart today. Carolyn is very nice.

Scott

FFscott6

Reaction score
Howdy,
Transom looks fine and sounds solid, decks are all solid. I need to do some gelcoat repairs all over due to nicks screw holes etc... nothing major or unexpected for it's age. There are a couple screw holes upon close inspection but they have 4200 or similar in them probably from finders etc.. I do believe it originally came with twins (I am 3rd or 4th owner) due to the guage set up, however, I think these are not the original motors since a fairly nice hack job was done on the cock pit to fit the Merc duals, I'm going to make a new S/S plate to cover and remount them (more winter work). The previous previous owner added a 30 gallon tank forward of the original 60. kind hacked up the floor but it not real bad. I'm gonna remove it after this season and make a battery compartment (move some weight forward) & replace the original tank. The guy I bought it from fixed a leak his first season in 2003 (I'm not messing with that potential). PO is very confident I'll make 50knots or more, he made 45knots going out to sea with fishing buddy's, coolers, etc, etc.

Thanks, Scott

derx2

Reaction score
I have a 1989 G/W 204 overnighter originally rigged (before I got it) with a Johnson 140- V/4.......... I bought it repowered with a Yamaha 150 V/6. Before looking at your pictures, I have only seen one other 204 rigged with twins. It was a mid/late 1980’s G/W 204 in Texas with twin Johnson 115 v/4 engines. I saw it when it was listed for sale on ebay about 3 years ago. I think that is why these boats are rated for 230 MAX horsepower. In case someone back in the day wanted to run twin 115’s. Nice find.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The transom notch on these older ON'ers def have a enough space for twins. Just not sure about handling the weight of twins . I saw an 85 with a new 150 verado on the back really look nice but, the scuppers were completely submerged at rest. (prob about the same weight of 2 100hp e-tecs if not less)
Owner said the transom was completely rebuilt before the repower with light material to handle the load but from the looks of it, not so much. Get some water built up in there and it could be real trouble real fast. I have taken waves over the stern that filled my motor well enough to drop the outer transom rim of motor well to the water level. Thats scarey enough with one engines weight.

Other than that info, Welcome, and enjoy her. A lifetime of memories.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought a 204C back in 1975, the first year that they were made.

The power options were 85, 115, or 135 hp singles or twin 70 hp. Grady didn't package the boats with engines back then, so the options were pretty much up to the dealers.

FFscott6

Reaction score
Resurecting this old thread...
We used her as is several weekends last year. My garage is/was filled with household goods most of the winter and I could not work inside so there it sat (covered of course) now that hte weather is somewhat agreeable (wet spring) I've started a few projects. I'll put some pictures what I have anyway, I was so anxious to get busy I forgot some.

1. Bow railing was nearly ready to fall off on it's own (loose mounts all ten) I figure on filling the holes with wooden dowels and epoxy (done) I have a couple of pictures on my phone (uploading when I find time). I drilled out the original holes and found good wood :) so I figure the epoxy will bond really well. Next step is to make them level, mark them, drill proper holes for the flat head screws (S/S) and remount with butyl tape as the method of sealing. I've read it's the best choice if ever wanting to remove such items. MOunts are all good, top angles need replacing, railing material is cleaning up nicely. No budget for replacing to much, only what is needed.

2. I'm going to use this same principle with all (and let me tell you there are alot) of the different mounting of accessories through the years. some simple filled with bathroom caulk and similar "sealers"

3. there are lots of gelcoat knicks an scratches some deeper than others nothing worrysome just gonna be time consuming. the worst is the keep I dremel ground about 6 feet from the bow hook (which incidentally is loose, I'm gonna leave that repair to the F/G/ shop at the marina, down and back. Nothing frightening there so a couple coats of epoxy and then a good fairing with the same material thickened top coated with epoxy and prep for paint.

All this hull work is gonna leave too many small repairs. Once we pull it this October it's going to get painted before winter sets in. Topside, water side, and deck! with some luck I 'll be able to get close the original color.

4. transom isn't as bad as I thought mostly localized (to screw holes) wet wood so I'll redrill oversized holes (not to big) pick out wet and refill with marine tex or similar product. new holes will get drilled into the repair epoxy.

Sorry for the long story but I have to get on here when I can. I'll have some pics loaded on here this weekend.

Stay safe out there!
Scott

FFscott6

Reaction score
No luck on the pictures been raining everyday soon as I get home! Front yard grass is knee high, not really but...I'll be posting a few pics ASAP.

I love the way it runs with twins! I have a miss and possibly a fuel pump check valve issue, both motors idle rough unless I keep the bulbs pumped up (they are new). I've ordered the pump repair kits and at least can do that in the garage while it's raining out.

These old twins at something like 300lb each hanging off the back keep it low in the water only a couple inches or so with a tank of fuel (60gal). not normally a problem except on an all day raft up water is getting into the bilge through bad deck plate O-rings on the motor well. that'll be fixed shortly.

Back to the twins. if I get the tabs set right I'm on plane in a few seconds on a hole shot and about the same from no wake speed. This boat cruises best at about 18 - 22knots (GPS) and both motors in current condition are around 3000 - 3200 rpm. I've had it up to 35 on 1-2ft waves. Fuel economy isn't bad for 1979 2 stroke motors pushing this boat, i'm guessing here but based on the credit card slip :) at the fuel dock something like 3mpg. That was almost smooth water, no wind, slack tide (i think that's right, feel free to correct me).

Weather is looking a bit better tomorrow so I might be able to get a pic or two. Take care & stay safe

rbuchr

Reaction score
hi every one
just bought my 204c yesterday and today i am beginning restoration, mainly the floor where the pedestal seats are located. It has been repaired before so I suspect this may be a problem area, Please, if anyone has ideas about this let me know about your experience and the outcome. this is a 1983 hull with what I think is the original 175 hp Johnson. Otherwise it seems very solid and the transom is in good condition. Thanks
Richard