New Jersey Grady Group?

JerseyJarred

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I am new to Grady ownership and subsequently a new addition to this forum. What would be involved in starting up a Grady Owners Group Club for folks located in NY/NJ within the "Grady White Clubs" section of the forum? There are many Grady White owners near me along the Jersey Shore so it seems like an under-represented market here on the forum. Would love the opportunity to connect with some fellow more local Grady owners! :)

Reactions: JerseySure

JerseyJarred

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
There is a Grady club in Ocean City NJ. I am a member. I can send you the info if you would like.

That would be great, feel free to send it over.

Would like to get a separate thread for NY/NJ on the Forum home page. Hopefully one of the esteemed moderators can help us with that ;)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
JJ,,,, the Grady-White club page is just that, for established and recognized Grady clubs that are sponsored through their respective dealerships and Grady-White corporate recognizes them as such.

Feel free to start a thread with the heading NJ Grady Owners and see if you get any takers.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I am new to Grady ownership and subsequently a new addition to this forum. What would be involved in starting up a Grady Owners Group Club for folks located in NY/NJ within the "Grady White Clubs" section of the forum? There are many Grady White owners near me along the Jersey Shore so it seems like an under-represented market here on the forum. Would love the opportunity to connect with some fellow more local Grady owners! :)
I’m not to far from you in Farmingdale and launch regularly in the Manasquan.

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
I'm in Point Pleasant and go out Manasquan Inlet and to Metediconk River & Barnegat bay frequently in the summer and spring. Hauling out soon for winter storage though. More than happy to be a part of the group. Got my boat from Comstock in Brick we could ask if they have a club. They sure had a great picnic this season. BTW I taught electricity and electronics at Howell HS back in the day.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I'm in Point Pleasant and go out Manasquan Inlet and to Metediconk River & Barnegat bay frequently in the summer and spring. Hauling out soon for winter storage though. More than happy to be a part of the group. Got my boat from Comstock in Brick we could ask if they have a club. They sure had a great picnic this season. BTW I taught electricity and electronics at Howell HS back in the day.
You’re pulling your boat too soon!
The bass run hasn’t really started yet. When it does it’s amazing. Plenty of fish to catch, whales coming up close. It can be chilly but it’s the best time of the year to be on the water.
My Daughter went to Howell High and we live a few doors down from it.

Reactions: TomHigg

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
This fall life got in the way of my fishing for a while. It will have to be from shore or as crew for friends needing help when I can. I was looking forward to fishing this fall. Will start again on my boat in March. NP good luck fishing.

JerseyJarred

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
This fall life got in the way of my fishing for a while. It will have to be from shore or as crew for friends needing help when I can. I was looking forward to fishing this fall. Will start again on my boat in March. NP good luck fishing.

Very small world. I grew up in Howell and my wife and I both graduated from Howell High School in 2004. We live in Point Pleasant now just a few lagoons down from Comstock. Just bought my 275 Grady from there a few weeks ago and had previously kept my Mako there for a few seasons prior to moving to Point. Really small world :)

This is exactly why I wanted to get a group started. I will post a thread on the forum to see if we can drum up some more interest.

JerseyJarred

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I left Howell HS in 1989 and went on to open HTHS as the founding principal on Brookdale campus for MCVTS. Semi-retired now. We keep our boat at Shore Haven Yacht Club and live nearby.

I can see Shore Haven from my backyard! We live on Northstream Parkway.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So of I’d be interested. The folks at Comstock are great people. If someone has connections let’s see if they will back it

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am brand new here, and pending next weeks sea trial, will be the proud owner of a 1995 Adventure 208. This will be my first time owning a boat and am interested in any advice or wisdom. I am very much interested in joining a group of like-minded people to share information, reviews and stories. I will be keeping the boat at a marina near Lavallette this coming season.

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
Since most of us fish on our boats. We always need crew to help withe the lines trolling. My suggestion is that we decide on meeting up and getting organized. The Manasquan Fishing Club meets first Friday every month except April. Join them and meet after that meeting to organize fishing trips and get seasoned crew. Their guest speakers are very knowledgeable.

seasick

Reaction score
I am brand new here, and pending next weeks sea trial, will be the proud owner of a 1995 Adventure 208. This will be my first time owning a boat and am interested in any advice or wisdom. I am very much interested in joining a group of like-minded people to share information, reviews and stories. I will be keeping the boat at a marina near Lavallette this coming season.
My first boat was a 20 footer too also and it took me a while as a newbie to learn how to operate it. It was white knuckle every time I docked:)
My advice is to go slow and learn how to use the shifter to maneuver. Practice bumping the motor in and out of gear to control speed especially at slow speeds
Remember that a boat doesn't steer like a car, responds slowly so take small actions and wait to see what happens. The boat can't for the most part be steered if the prop is not turning. That boat will also not turn a the front like a car, it will rotate around a point somewhere near you at the helm.
The 208 can bow steer significantly in certain conditions so be aware that if the bow id down and you hill swells or wakes, the boat will probably make somewhat sharp and unexpected turns. Over time you will learn when to expect that and how to avoid or deal with it.
Assuming you have a regular rotation motor, when in reverse, the stern will move backwards and to starboard. At the same time, the bow may swing to port. Again, go slow and practice in calm waters to see how the boat responds to power and steering.
Best of luck!

Last edited:

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My first boat was a 20 footer too also and it took me a while as a newbie to learn how to operate it. It was white knuckle every time I docked:)
My advice is to go slow and learn how to use the snifter to maneuver. Practice bumping the motor in and out of gear to control speed especially at slow speeds
Remember that a boat doesn't steer like a car, responds slowly so take small actions and wait to see what happens. The boat can't for the most part be steered if the prop is not turning. That boat will also not turn a the front like a car, it will rotate around a point somewhere near yo at the helm.
The 208 can bow steer significantly in certain conditions so be aware that if the bow id down and you hill swells or wakes, the boat will probably make somewhat sharp and unexpected turns. Over time you will learn when to expect that and how to avoid or deal with it.
Assuming you have a regular rotation motor, when in reverse, the stern will move backwards and to starboard. At the same time, the bow may swing to port. Again, go slow and practice in calm waters to see how the boat responds to power and steering.
Best of luck!

Thank You Seasick. I appreciate your advice. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I do plan on taking my time, and hope, when mistakes are made, they will be at slow speeds. I will have so many more questions to ask once this purchase is official.