New Jersey ICW

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will be running up the NJ Coast from Cape May to NYC with a stop in AC in my 330 at the end of June. I plan on running outside unless weather becomes an issue. Can anyone provide any guidance on water depths on the inside route if I need to go inside? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have only run the Intercoastal two times, both times it was from Waretown (southern Ocean County) to Atlantic City and back. I have not been too fa south after Sandy hit. That being said, there was plenty of water at both low and high tide when I went. As I recall, it was actually a nice ride and we enjoyed it. I want to point out that there is a roughly two mile stretch behind LBI that is a no wake zone, we decided it was time to have a snack and enjoy the waterfront homes (and boats) in this area. I have also ran outside a few times, faster but a little less scenic. I have only been to cape may by car sometimes with boat on trailer.

Hope this helps, enjoy the trip.

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The Ocean City NJ area is my home port. There is plenty of water but don't stray from the channel. Some if the inside corners on turns can get shallow.

tilewave

Reaction score
the stretch from island beach state park to the point pleasant canal is plenty deep, just stay within the channels being your not familiar with the low spots. theres some good dock n dine places in point pleasant on the manansquan river. feel free to call me ( i dont log on here too often) if you need any other info from this area 908 337 4965 - john

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
A quick note on the Point Pleasant canal, the state police have a substation midway on the canal. If you don't keep your speed down to where you can just navigate you will probably be corrected by them.
Also when the tide runs through there you will go through some fuel faster than you'd like.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Never been much south of Barnegate inlet. When going out of BI, keep going out until the last marker, there are submerged rocks on the north side. Don't go off course as you go past the marshes by BI, VERY shallow water. Once you're past, the bay has decent water until you get to Mantaloking Bridge. Tices Shoal is a nice place to stop for a swim, nice sandy bottom but packed on the weekend. The Point Canal can be a major PIA. Watch you speed and it's quite choppy on the weekend due to traffic (worse by the bridges). Follow the markers in Manasquan river (at least close), the last tricky area (again on weekends due to traffic and idiots) is the railroad bridge. From there watch the dredging and you can see the ocean.

The currents can get nasty by the hook but you have plenty of boat.

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I still plan on running outside, but now feel comfortable enough with conditions to run inside if needed.

Safe Seas to All!

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks again for all of the guidance on the NJ ICW. I ended up running down the ICW on my trip back from Atlantic City to Cape May to avoid heavy seas on the coast. I had good water the whole way except around Hereford Inlet where it got a little thin. It added 1 hour to my passage time, but was much better than beating down the coast into 3-5 foot seas.