New Man On The Block

Dr Robert

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone!! Its a pleasure to be here!! My total boating experience has been a 12' fiberglass rowboat about 40 years ago!! Needless to say I need a ton of advice. The only sure thing I know is that I want to own a Grady White. My limited research has told me that GW sets the standard in quality and I'm sure its owners do as well!! I am a general dentist from Stroudsburg PA and will be purchasing property on the Indian River Bay in Ocean View DE within a few days. The townhouse comes with a boatslip 21' by 10.5'. Since I will be coming down on long weekends at first, I'm told to have a lift installed soon after purchase. I don't want the "tail to wag the dog" but I will be limited in space with the slip. My decision with the boat will need to consider my slip size. These are my wants and needs: 1-I like to fish, 2-I want to cruise with the family( maybe 5 people), 3-Sensitive skin issues and need some sun protection, 4-Toilet facilities for the girls and wife, 4-Primarily in Indian River and Rehoboth Bay but may venture along the coast when my skill level increases, 5-Should I buy new or used???? 6-Needs to fit in the slip...I have taken an interest in the Adventure 208, but realistically don't know if this is feasible...Need help guys..Any Suggestions will be appreciated!!! Dr Bob

Average Joe

Reaction score
The 208 is an excellent choice for the uses you described and should fit nicely in your slip. If you can find a good used model I would go that route, IMO the price on a new one is ridiculous. If money is no object, go new and time it when Yamaha is offering a free extended warrenty on outboards (usually offered during boat shows). You mentioned as many as five people being on board at times, in that case I would opt for 225hp. I have 150hp which is fine for me but I typically have 1-3 onboard. Hardtop vs. Bimini is a matter of preference. With the hardtop you get more room for electronics, fishing rods, etc. and a platform for mounting radar should you choose to. It also provides secure hand-holds when accessing the bow. There's my $.02

Dr Robert

Reaction score
GulfSea said:
Probably a dumb question but is the length limit 21' or can you extend past the dock's end?
They tell me I can extend 2' past the end.....sounds like 23' max

Lucky13

Reaction score
If you can go 23 and money is not an issue go with a gulfstream 232 twin 200's.
Or you could look for a used one with twin 150's

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As a 208 Adventure owner, I agree with lucky 13 and suggest a 23' Gulfstream. 5 people on a 208 is doable but not very comfortable. A Gulfstream with a hardtop will keep you in the shade and you can also add a bimini or sun shade to the stern of the boat. With 5 folks aboard, you will most definitely want twins. Check the gallery section of this form and take a look at the photos of the Gulfstream in various riggings. There are some excellent used boats for sale and it is a buyer's market, at least in the southeast.

GulfSea

Reaction score
A Gulfstream will be in the 28' ish' range with bracket and engine; my shorter 228 would be too long as well. A 226 would probably make it but be close depending on how strict they are.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Four stroke motors.....new or used - get the 4 strokes! Great choice on any GW they don't make a bad one

The Gulfstream is super nice! 228 is allot more boat than a 208 Remember boats, decks and ....you can never go to big....get the Gulfstream Doc

Dr Robert

Reaction score
I guess its only money and they make it everyday!!!! What is a good buy on a late model Gulfstream with twins??

Dr Robert

Reaction score
As I look at all the pictures these boats for sale, many of which are 10+ years old, they ALL look like they just came off the showroom floor!! The old adage "beauty is only skin deep"comes to mind. Looking well below "skin deep", what questions or concerns do I pose to the prospective seller concerning these boats???!!

GulfSea

Reaction score
Dr Robert said:
As I look at all the pictures these boats for sale, many of which are 10+ years old, they ALL look like they just came off the showroom floor!! The old adage "beauty is only skin deep"comes to mind. Looking well below "skin deep", what questions or concerns do I pose to the prospective seller concerning these boats???!!

I think every known issue, good and bad, is known here. Find one and ask away, someone with the exact rig will probably chime in with specifics. Make sure to line up a surveyor no matter what anyone tells you along with compression test on the engine(s). One great thing about Grady's are that many, if not most, surveyors are well versed with Grady's and know where to look for issues.

You'll hear all the arguments about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. I'll just say 4 strokes are nice, quiet and have no oil smells to deal with. Most will have Yamaha's but some have re-powered with 2 stroke Etecs which, from what I understand, aren't bad by comparison to old 2 strokes. You can find tons of previous information by looking through the history function of this site. Good luck with the search!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I currently own 3 boats - one of which is for sale in OCMD. Grady 330 express (purchased this summer), 2000 272 Sailfish (brokered at Taylor Marine) and 23 foot hurricane deck boat. Love my Grady's for fishing and some general cruising but a lot of the bay area is shallow so I tend not to stray from channels. The deck boat was great for cruising around and beaching at Assateague Island. The deck boat is good for flounder fishing too. However, my sailfish took me offshore for 12 seasons and never left me stranded. It handled sooooo well in all seas (even 7-8 foot chop) and had range out to canyons, troll all day and back only burning 100 gallons or so. Having had a few trips on the 330 prior to the blow, I'm sure I will love this new used boat.

All this said, if you will be doing most of your boating taking kids and friends around bay and out to eat rather than fishing, you may want to consider a small Grady or deck boat. However if you will be mostly insure fishing, I would go Grady. If you want to one day do some tuna or shark fishing (trust me it will hook ya if you haven't done it before), you will need a larger Grady with 2 engines and good range. Tuna grounds are 20-40 miles offshore. The canyons are 50+.

There are a lot of good used boats out there so look around. You can always walk before you run. God luck and I hope this helps. I know I'm rambling a bit tonight!

striped bass

Reaction score
Congrats on the townhouse and boatslip. Here is my two cents based on 50 years of boating. For your size family a 23 foot Gulfstream is the minimum you should buy and even at that it will be a tight fit, but it should work. If you can possibly swing a GW Journey 258 (25 feet) budget-wise and boatslip-wise, I recommend rampimg up to that model only because of the size of your family. Also, since you are commuting from Stroudsburg to Ocean View on weekends you don't want any maintenance hang-ups to interfere with your on-the-water boating time. Time and salt water are hostile to boats and you will have issues with any used boat and they will negatively affect your boating time. For that reason alone I recommend a new GW or at the very least a one year old GW. You will reap many more hours of satisfying on-the-water hours with a new(er) GW model.

Keep us all posted on your decision.

Dr Robert

Reaction score
Thanx everyone for all your great advice! It will be a pleasure to be a part of Grady Life in Delaware!! Dr Bob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Dr. Bob,
It seems being a dentist you are likely an analytical guy, yes? If the slip drives the purchase and you can not have more than 23 feet length, then there is no way a Gulfy works or my boat the 228. Both these boats are bracketed and from the pulpit to the back of my motor is 26 feet and a few inches and that is a 22 foot hull.

Bigger is often better when it comes to boats but I have 5 people in my family and we were fine in a 192. We have more.room.in the 228 but if you are limited in space as much as a Gulfy is nice and it is, a 226 or 208 are fine boats for day trips and cruising. You may want to get a better understanding of the slip requirements before youbuy a boat you may not be able to keep.there. good luck and i have loved both Gradys I have owned.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would have to agree with the last post. First things first. From what I'm reading on the dock length and sticking out two feet more I don't know what it means specific to model of boats. The max beam width tell me you can go longer but depending the pass by in front of the boats that's what may be driving it. It is typical otherwise for boats to extend way out beyond last piling sometimes twice as much.

Alos, typically in this size range they will be outboard powered boats of any brand and even w/o a bracket the engine tilted or down in position sticks out, brackets add about 2ft or more to that, perhaps now 30 inches with the 4 strokes, not to mention if they count pulpits.

Case in point, the Saifish is a 28 ft boat used to be called a 25 feet boat, same length end to end side by side not splittig hairs with a few inches. Boats tend to measure in two different ways, straight line down the middle and the second along the gunnel taking in the width of the boat.

Either get it should be verfied by management via Grady published literature - directly, or finding out what boats are slipped now for yourself, perhaps call the other owners. I can assure you most of the boats slipped will be maxing out the rule.

If you are so inclined to center console boats or dual console as I used to call "bow riders", the larger ones have heads and plenty of room top side. Grady has a nice single engine center console, a new model of few years similar hull as Gulfstream I recall. with the rear corner seats and rear bench seat fold up version. Not sure on the dual consoles, but another choice for you. I believe the CC is 23 ft, but unlike the Gulf it doesn't add 30 inches to the length for the bracket - so called Grady drive. And i don't think it has a pulpit, which also sticks out but management may not be counting pulpits anyway. Grady has a few choices smaller too.

I'd find the other owners and see what they have, and if I did no more in length, that's the ticket for me.
Have fun and good luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score
226/228? might give you a bit more room than the 208 and just fit your slip.

Vic H

Reaction score
You did not mention whether or not you will be sleeping onboard. If not, a center console or dual console with a head on board may fit your needs. We used to have a 208 and now have a Freedom 225 dual console. The head area is large enough for my 6'1" frame to fit in tightly, but it is easier for the ladies and kids. The dual consoles also allow more riding room up front while the cabin boats usually keep everyone in the back 2/3 of the boat. It is also easier to maintain a plane at lower speeds with some of the passengers up front and the ride up front is quieter and fun for the kids.

I keep my 225 with the bracket in indoor rack storage and after "they" measured it's length, they charge me for 25' LOA including the engine. A 228 without a pulpit would measure out the same. A 205 or 208 should fit easily. All great boats.

striped bass

Reaction score
Vic has an excellent point. The dual consoles offer a lot more on deck room and versatility. If you don't need overnight sleeping accommodations you should take a peek at the GW 225 or if you can squeeze it in to your slip a GW 255.

Dr Robert

Reaction score
Thanx everyone for your excellent input!! We had settlement on the property this past Friday!! The property is right on Indian River Bay in Ocean View Delaware. The boat slip is 20 paces from my back door. I contacted Dave Ashley from Taylor Marine our local Grady-White Dealer in DE who was nice enough to actually visit the slip...He confirmed a 20-21ft and 8ft+ beam would work great...Anything larger would depend on how liberal and forgiving the management company would be....I hate to have "the tail wag the dog" but being new to the area and also boating I certainly don't want to....rock the boat(sorry!!). I visited Taylor Marine in Milford DE and looked at the Adventure 208 and also the Fisherman 209 keeping in mind my limitations. I probably will be doing a little more fishing than cruising and for my purposes the Fisherman 209 has alot more room. The Adventure has more storage space but its small size doesn't really seem practical...It would end up with alot of junk piled there..Both new boats are incredibly pristine but so is the price tag...especially since I just purchased the townhouse... Here's the kicker!! He has a "used" Adventure 208, 2008 with 58 Hours!!!! The previous owner did not really pamper it...Portside bow has about an 8 inch gash just under the gunnel...looks like he banged into something...stainless steel hardware is fairly tarnished and dull..Certainly did not compare esthetically with the showroom models!!!.Dave Ashley said these items could be taken care of...It has a 150 Yamaha which to use Dave's words was "cherry" condition.....Bimini soft top.......2008.....58 Hours....$38,500. I priced out a new one...$60+ after bells and whistles....What do you think!!!!???? What should I do!!??