New Marlin 30 Owner questions

shawnod7

Reaction score
Website
www.enviroairtech.com
I just bought a 2001 Marlin 30 and it came with a Furuno Color LCD Sounder FCV-582-L, a Furuno Radar Model 1731 Mark -3 RDP-099 and a Garmin 740S Plotter sounder. The boat was a one owner, well maintained boat, excellent shape.
The Furuno equipment does not seem to work as well as I would have expected. Does anyone have any experience with these models and how they compare with today's equipment? The Garmin has a transducer mounted on the stern and
the Furuno transducer is located on the flat spot on the bottom. If the Furuno sounder is outdated and not worth keeping I was thinking of removing it, and the transducer, then puttin a transducer that will work with the Garmin in place of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering a Garmin radar which would plug into the plotter, but again not sure if it is worth the money, when I have the Furuno. Any advice would be appreciated.There is a galvanic protector mounted under the starboard side gunnel. Not sure if it works or what it does. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In forward bilge area there is always 2-3" of water. I have used a hand pump and pumped it dry, but it always returns. Any suggestions?

As a new owner I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As far as the forward bilge, the anchor locker drains directly to the bilge. Are you washing down the anchor or getting water into the anchor locker somehow?

shawnod7

Reaction score
Website
www.enviroairtech.com
I do washdown the boat after each use but not sure if that generates enough water, but that is great advice and I will pump dry AFTER I wash down and see what happens. Do you think it could be any of the thru hull fittings? Does the head pump out of the bottom or the side?

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I do washdown the boat after each use but not sure if that generates enough water, but that is great advice and I will pump dry AFTER I wash down and see what happens. Do you think it could be any of the thru hull fittings? Does the head pump out of the bottom or the side?
I believe the head pumps out the bottom. If a thru hull leaks you would probably see some corrosion around it. Have you tasted the water to see if it is salty?

seasick

Reaction score
The 2 or 3 inches is probably the level that the bilge pump can drain to before the float plops down. The question is: how often does that pump run? A through hull leak or fitting/hose leakis possible but not as likely as water entering from the anchor locker or another deck opening. If you are near to the boat and can check it fairly often, one thing to try is to disable the bilge pump by disconnecting the fuse that powers the mid bilge pump float switch. Take note of the water level. ( In the beginning you want to check the level frequently for an hour or two. If the water level is rising, you have a leak. Let's assume it is not raining and you get the courage to check less frequently. Check every day also noting if it rained since the last check. If it rained and the water level didn't rise (and it didn't rise during the leak test) the water is probably coming in when you wash down.
If so, after you are sure the water isn't rising, do your deck washdown routine and then check the level. If it has risen, you know its from the rinsing. Exactly where is tough to tell but the anchor locker lid and the windlass are common sources. It can take a bit of time for anchor locker water to drain into the bilge.

You should also be aware that if you have anchored during you trip, the anchor line can soak up a lot of water and as the retrieved line sits in the locker, the water will settle out into the bilge.
Let us know what you find.

shawnod7

Reaction score
Website
www.enviroairtech.com
The 2 or 3 inches is probably the level that the bilge pump can drain to before the float plops down. The question is: how often does that pump run? A through hull leak or fitting/hose leakis possible but not as likely as water entering from the anchor locker or another deck opening. If you are near to the boat and can check it fairly often, one thing to try is to disable the bilge pump by disconnecting the fuse that powers the mid bilge pump float switch. Take note of the water level. ( In the beginning you want to check the level frequently for an hour or two. If the water level is rising, you have a leak. Let's assume it is not raining and you get the courage to check less frequently. Check every day also noting if it rained since the last check. If it rained and the water level didn't rise (and it didn't rise during the leak test) the water is probably coming in when you wash down.
If so, after you are sure the water isn't rising, do your deck washdown routine and then check the level. If it has risen, you know its from the rinsing. Exactly where is tough to tell but the anchor locker lid and the windlass are common sources. It can take a bit of time for anchor locker water to drain into the bilge.

You should also be aware that if you have anchored during you trip, the anchor line can soak up a lot of water and as the retrieved line sits in the locker, the water will settle out into the bilge.
Let us know what you find.

Fishtales

Reaction score
When she is wet, determine if salt or fresh water. Once this questioned is answered you can start to trace down. Some fresh water items to check: Water system leaks, does the pump cycle, check under all faucets, check head if equipped with a freshwater system. Washing the boat. If you wash down the anchor rode water will drain directly into bilge. Check cup holders - these drain in as well. Make sure no water is getting past windows or the small drawers that are near the step on the walkaround entrance (edge of cockpit). Check hard top mount points. Some have reported leaks here. Cockpit sections of the deck should be sealed properly.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've always had Raytheon/Raymarine gear so I'm not the best to discuss Furuno. I put a shoot through transducer inside the hull on my boat back in 2007. My electronics are that old as well (E120, E80 DSM etc). If you upgrade the radar, might as well do the whole nines (display(s), GPS, transducer, cabling, network etc). If your to dive, then deep dive so you are happy and everything works together well.
Mine has the galvanic isolator under the starboard gunnel as well, never checked it to be honest.

seasick

Reaction score
Thank alot for the quick detailed reply. Shes out of the water now, for the winter, but I will check it in the spring. Do you have a Marlin?
My "OtherBoat" is not a Marlin:)

One good thing about being out of the water is that if you can check the bilge, do so. If water is getting in, you know it's not a leak in a thru hull or a hose and probably rain related( of course you need to have rain to know).

My boat that gets water in the mid bilge does so on the land so I know it's rain water related. I just don't know where that water is getting in. I keep the battery charger powered during the winter so that the pumps always have juice if needed. Pretty much every time I get to the boat ( several weeks apart), I start the bilge pump manually and pump out a decent amount of water..

Regarding the suggestion to taste the bilge water for saltiness. Other than drinking out of the toilet, I can't think of anything more disgusting and possible harmful. I guess I watched too many episodes of 'Monsters Inside Me' !

Reactions: Zebulon

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Regarding the suggestion to taste the bilge water for saltiness. Other than drinking out of the toilet, I can't think of anything more disgusting and possible harmful. I guess I watched too many episodes of 'Monsters Inside Me' !

You took the word right out of my........ er, mouth. Not on a bet! There are many other ways to check for the source of a leak. I will say that I am confident that I have no leaks through my hull and no leaks in my water systems on board. I ALWAYS have standing water in my forward bilge. Not a lot but enough to pump if I have not been on the boat for a while. Rain and rinse water find their way to the lowest point of the boat while at rest, the forward bilge. I'm not saying that you have no leaks, I'm saying if you find no leaks, it's normal.

As far as your electronics, If they are also 2001 vintage, they are OLD! If they work, that's fine. It sounds like they don't. The new stuff is light years better. Mine are 2009 and they are OLD! They work so I am happy. I did replace my transducer last fall. The PO had it mounted on the flat. Several local installers told me it is no longer recommended to mount anything there. Too much turbulence. I frequently lost bottom. Very annoying. Since replacing with a 20 degree through hull, I RARELY lose bottom. Big difference!

Congrats on your purchase. Get to know your boat and I'ts systems. I'm still learning. Lots of help here.

Reactions: Ozz043

Fishtales

Reaction score
If your maps are up to date and your electronics function correctly you are in decent shape. There is no side scanning fish finding on the older stuff which I will say is a huge improvement. Radar unless a larger open array is basic radar good for low light navigation and in the soup. We're talking about smaller boats here. Most folks are coastal boaters with some off shore mixed in. I think it is far more important to know how to maximize the effectiveness of your equipment by being familiar with it and knowing how to use it versus having the latest and greatest. Just my 2 pennies.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I have posted a reply on a similar post regarding water in the bilge (search for it to save my typing it all over again ) It is a complicated issue and yes I need to sponge my forward bilge regularly. temporarily plug the drain hole at the base of the rear bulkhead and dry out the aft bilge, then dry out the forward bilge (I have this plug in semipermanantly ) This helps me determine where the water comes from .... as there are just so many points any isolation helps ..

Good luck happy to answer any direct questions

Ozz043

Reaction score
I found my post

“Unfortunately the best way to find out is to be on the boat when it’s raining, so you can see the drips.... grab a good torch then starting at the bow check the anchor/bow sprit bolts and lid. Feel the carpet lining for dampness in the cabin, look at the seals of the hatch, check the window seals in the cabin and head. I don’t have a generator so I can get in the bilge....very squezzy.....check the bulkhead and inside of transom for water running down, check the livewell is sealed properly (water drips onto oil reservoirs) and the drain hose is working draining water out to engine well. Check the drink holders are drained to deck and freshwater shower rubber cap is sealing. Check the ladder bolts aren’t dripping and lastly unscrew inspection lids and see if they are leaking onto the fuel tanks....”

Of course check your fresh water system, the pump will cycle indicating a leak, or will repressurise again when left off for a period.

As for your electronics, modern day units leave them for dead....change them if you have the $

Fishtales

Reaction score
The way the Marlin sits, the natural spot for the water to collect is the fwd bilge. I found the forward bilge pump will not get it all out. I wash down the head and sole flooring as well as the anchor rode each trip (when used). I use the forward bilge to pump the water out, sometimes there isn't enough for the float to detect but I depress the switch manually. Even with this, you won't get it all out. I just live with it.

shawnod7

Reaction score
Website
www.enviroairtech.com
I found my post

“Unfortunately the best way to find out is to be on the boat when it’s raining, so you can see the drips.... grab a good torch then starting at the bow check the anchor/bow sprit bolts and lid. Feel the carpet lining for dampness in the cabin, look at the seals of the hatch, check the window seals in the cabin and head. I don’t have a generator so I can get in the bilge....very squezzy.....check the bulkhead and inside of transom for water running down, check the livewell is sealed properly (water drips onto oil reservoirs) and the drain hose is working draining water out to engine well. Check the drink holders are drained to deck and freshwater shower rubber cap is sealing. Check the ladder bolts aren’t dripping and lastly unscrew inspection lids and see if they are leaking onto the fuel tanks....”

Of course check your fresh water system, the pump will cycle indicating a leak, or will repressurise again when left off for a period.

As for your electronics, modern day units leave them for dead....change them if you have the $

shawnod7

Reaction score
Website
www.enviroairtech.com
I found my post

Thanks Ozz, I really appreciate you response, I will try what you said. Do you notice the boat listing to the port? I have no generator and even with storing oil on the starboard side it does not level.
I've always had Raytheon/Raymarine gear so I'm not the best to discuss Furuno. I put a shoot through transducer inside the hull on my boat back in 2007. My electronics are that old as well (E120, E80 DSM etc). If you upgrade the radar, might as well do the whole nines (display(s), GPS, transducer, cabling, network etc). If your to dive, then deep dive so you are happy and everything works together well.
Mine has the galvanic isolator under the starboard gunnel as well, never checked it to be honest.
Thanks Fish Tales I appreciate the response

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On tasting bilge water....I didn't say drink it. The salt detectors on the tongue are sufficient to tell if a minute amount of water is salt or not. However, I must admit I have no idea how dirty other bilges are so proceed with caution.

jigstrike

Reaction score
same water issue on my marlin. I have checked the thru hulls, and no leaks there. Ill try the taste test when I put the boat back in the water. (I aint skeered of a little salt water)
My boat had old electronics and they worked fair, but last year we put Simrad NSS2 on her with the 4g radar. Best thing ever!
Enjoy your boat!!