New Mechanical Steering (Telflex Xtreme NFB)

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just thought I would give this review in case anyone is in need of new steering and is deciding betw hyd or mechanical nfb.

My steering gear in the helm broke when the engine swung over hard last fall. Done deal, have to get new steering. Started shopping, Teleflex products only in mind (now Sea Starr Solutions). This is what I have used since I owned boats, will stick with what I trust. Started looking at hydrolic. Because my engine in 175hp I am limited to the sea star systems. Not willing to put 1k into this 30+yr old boat for steering. So on to nfb I go. I see standard nfb 4.2 steering systems and decide that is what I will get. But then I see they have another type. The xtreme mechanical steering. Get prices, for an extra 150.00 over the standard nfb I figure, why not. Around $360.00 with shipping. I order my kit. I Thought I was going to install in a weekend. Boy was I wrong. The problem was the old helm is so tight I had to remove cabin bulkheads to get it out. So a 2 day project turned into 3 weeks. Since I had everythig apart I figured, new wiring, new controls yadda, yadda. After everything has been replaced , onto installing the helm. What a snap! the new helm is about 1/3 the size of the original. Run the cable, drill some holes, a few bolts and then snap the cables and return tube into the new helm, mount the wheel ,attach the engine side and done. Now for the water test.

Now, I have driven boats with hydrolic and standard nfb 4.2. By far nothing can beat hydrolic. That is until I drove my boat after the install of this system. I thought my trim tabs gave me piece of mind. This steering is by far the closest thing to hyd. I was very impressed and very pleased with the handling of the boat. I went out in some real tght chop on a windy day (se gusting to 25). Normally I would be holding the wheel trying to adjust the tabs to get the right feel on the wheel. This time I just set the wheel in the direction ahead and used the tabs to help with the pounding. I did not even need to hold the wheel other than to make course adjustments. So, I ask my wife (who by the way hates to drive the boat due to the steering wheel pulling in all directions) to take the wheel. Hesitant, she does and she is just enjoying herself. Were hitting waves hard but she is in complete control not even gripping the wheel.

There is one thing I need to point out , the new steering is very tight so docking is a challenge on sharp turns and the lock to lock count is almost 5 turns. On my boat anyway. So, I added a wheel knob. It's allot easier to make quick sharp steering adjustments fro docking now.
I am not saying this is better than hydrolic, but without a doubt the closest thing I have ever felt to it. So if you looking into a new steering system and cant afford the $$ for hyd. This one got my apporval for sure. Time/Money well spent.