new member 265 express backing up question

Coolchange1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a new member and I just bought a 2003 265 express with 2016 suzuki DF225's. I love the boat it has many upgrades but still needs a little cosmetic work. I have owned many boats both inboard and outboard although that doesn't make me a pro but in a docking situation this boat doesn't back up well. It seems to crab to starboard no matter where the wheel is turned is this common?

Thank you in advance
Tim

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is this your first twin setup? The obvious first question would be whether or not you're keeping the RPM's exactly the same.

I have not run the model you have so I can't say if what you are experiencing is normal for that hull, but I can say that from my experience with various twins that the closer the engines are to each other, the control/maneuverability lessens. Meaning, closer together = less finite control... doesn't behave as nicely when the engines are further apart. Single, relatively small props doesn't help, either.

Other thoughts...

If the tabs are down, that could affect things, as well.

Also, try playing with the trim a bit - try some UP trim and see if that helps. This is usually only needed when the engines are on brackets as it can allow the propwash to hit the transom. But maybe you have a little bit of that going on, as well. UP trim angles the propwash under the transom. It may not be your issue, but it's easy enough to try.

reelserious

Reaction score
Are you sure the engines are counter rotating? If not, that would explain why it crabs when backing down. If they are counter rotating, then try backing down with just the port side motor and see if it still crabs.

Coolchange1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello,
I do have a lot of experience with twins both inboard and outboard but this boat seems far more difficult to back up and turn. I bellieve they are counter rotating but to be embarrassingly honest I haven't looked. I believe the suzuki's can be either that's a good point. I think the suzuki's use the same lower and I'm not sure how they change it to counter. I'll be looking tonight.

Tim

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Having previously owned a 265 which was always kept backed into the slip, I can honestly say I had never noticed a problem in reverse. My boat had counter rotating yamahas and I would always just use the engines to turn the boat in and out of the slip and in tight situations. I kept the engines straight and just used the throttles to spin the boat. Depending on current and wind you may have to increase RPMs a little more on one engine or the other, but I have to believe that would be with any twin boat. Are you just using the throttles for docking or are you using the steering wheel? I'm kind of thinking it may be a counter rotating/non counter rotating issue but I'm no expert here.

Coolchange1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They are counter rotating. I only have had issues backing up with an incoming tide (same direction as I'm backing) I tend to use the engines more than the wheel it may be I just have to slow down and get used to the boat. Actually speed up when backing with an incoming tide.

Thank you for the suggestions I got nervous that I just assumed counter rotating and never that I remember actually looked.

Tim

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I will agree with you that the 265 is a bit ornery in a very strong current.
I find many times that just using straight motors and shifting does not turn you. You have to turn the motors and put both in reverse to get the stern around in time.
(Then you have to remember to straight them out!!!)

Backing into a current is much easier.
When with the current, you can't steer until you are faster than the water. That means you have to goose it to get momentum.

I back into the slip. I find it less scary than pointing the boat at the dock and gunning it in a controlled crash.
Slip is 4th one in...When current is strong coming out of the slip, I will back in all the way from the channel, more or less crab walking to keep the stern into the current

With little current, motors straight and twisting with the gears works but not nearly as well as a twin inboard.
Twisting does not work at all when the motors are turned.....

PS....Please tell me all about your Suzukis.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, I would be very interested in your Suzukis as well. It would be great if you could start a new posting with info on their performance and other subjective info.

I can't comment on backing into a slip since I go straight in and no one is near my dock!

Coolchange1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello,
I will start a new thread once I have some hard data to report. I haven't set the engines up in the digital gauge system yet so I don't get fuel burned or fuel remaining. I had the yamaha's (F225's) on a scout I owned last year and I like the Suzuki's better, they're quieter and easier to maintain (you can access the oil filter very easily) and it didn't cost me the 2k each for mid section exhaust corrosion. I also have two set's of props and I want to try both. The previous owner had just had the boat re powered as he lost the original yamaha's to the corrosion issue. I also like that he got the white ones lol

eppem

Reaction score
I've got an 03 265 with F225s and a counter rotating port prop. If there is no wind I can back in with just throttles. If the wind is up, I've got to use the wheel. Like anything new it will take some practice. Make sure the tabs are up and the engines all the way down.

As for the zukes, I am a yammy guy, I have friends with zukes, seem to run well like anything until they don't. Issue is, when they don't run well there are very limited options for parts or service. Just my 2 cents.

EPPE

Coolchange1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree there's less dealerships that carry them so I'm limited on service options. I still have 2-1/2 years left on the warrantee but here's to hoping I don't need it. Once I had the Yamaha's fixed (mid section corrosion) they did fine by me on my last boat. I found the oil change to be a pain but not un doable. I am getting used to backing her in and what I've found is that I was going too fast on an incoming tide trying to out run the tide so I had some steerage. If I back up slow, stop the boat and re position it if needed I'm fine. It's not like my Luhrs 29 tournament where I could spin it wherever I wanted to.

Tim