New member - big question

Trout Poison

Reaction score
Hello all.

I recently cleared the biggest hurdle in getting a newer boat - wife approval. I am in the early stages of searching/figuring out my best option.

I am looking at either a used 228 seafarer, or 208 adventure with hardtop. My question is - what is the total height on the trailer to the top of the hardtop on a 228 seafarer? I know it is going to be a close fit in my building, and every inch counts, so I am looking for a real world dimension. The best the local dealer can tell me is "between 11 and 12 feet" that isn't close enough to base making a decision off!

I prefer the 228 over the 208, but the 4" difference in height could be a deal breaker in making the choice.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this question. I appreciate it.

Tim

Reactions: Bird Blaster

seasick

Reaction score
Don't forget that the height depends on the trailer type and setup. Trailer capacity ( larger capacity, maybe larger tires and of course anything that is mounted on the top like antennas, lights (mast light) radome if present, rod holders maybe, etc.
If you are that close where 4 inches makes all the difference, I would not make a decision based on any figures stated here. That will only be specific to someone's actual setup.
Also make sure you have the length required too.
Good luck with the search

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As others have said, each one will be different. You may have some leeway to spread the bunks out too, and drop the boat an inch or two. Additionally, if you only need an inch or two to get through, then you can always deflate the tires to roll it in, then pump them back up when you pull it up. Not ideal, but will give you an extra couple of inches.

Trout Poison

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I realize the variations that can occur with things attached to the top, and that there could be trailer differences. I am a maintenance guy by trade, not a writer' so sometimes my written message does not come out exactly the way it rattles around in myside of my head.....lol.

I guess what I need is a hard dimension from the top of the hard top to the keel below that point. Then I only need to measure a boat I am looking at from the ground to the keel....and accommodate for any attachments.

It is hard searching for used Gradys around here, as they are not very common, and when they do come on the market, they move very rapidly.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have electronic measurement for my 228 with hardtop when she was shipped from Jacksonville to Sydney, they are very accurate because you pay on CBM. It was 3.41 mtrs ( about 11' 2 1/4 "). That would vary even on my boat on the same trailer if you lower the jack or lift the jack. My boat was fitted with VHF aerial ( folded down), a light at the top of the hardtop folded down and a spotlight.
If you have over 11'6" clearance you are probably sweet any less you maybe in trouble.
You will have to measure the boat you are going to buy on level ground and hooked up on your truck.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Most, if not all of the base measurements you are asking about are typically in the owner's manuals. You can download them from Grady's website. If there's something missing, reach out to Grady - they are usually very good about answering questions like this. This would get you your "starting point" - and then you can add for accessories up top - but as stated, the trailer brand and type of trailer will be the big variables.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I realize the variations that can occur with things attached to the top, and that there could be trailer differences. I am a maintenance guy by trade, not a writer' so sometimes my written message does not come out exactly the way it rattles around in myside of my head.....lol.

I guess what I need is a hard dimension from the top of the hard top to the keel below that point. Then I only need to measure a boat I am looking at from the ground to the keel....and accommodate for any attachments.

It is hard searching for used Gradys around here, as they are not very common, and when they do come on the market, they move very rapidly.

What would help is the measurement of the highest point of the boat ( somewhere on the hardtop) to the lowest point on the keel. On a trailer, the hard top level. Often the front of the hardtop is higher than the rear. That depends on trailer set up and the angle of the tongue.
If things are that close, you would be better off making a clearance stick ( two pieces of wood or tubing adjusted to the height you need to clear) and bringing it with you when you boat shop.
You can make a simple and somewhat portable clearance pole out of PVC pipe, some couplers and an elbow, no glue:)

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hello all.

I recently cleared the biggest hurdle in getting a newer boat - wife approval. I am in the early stages of searching/figuring out my best option.

I am looking at either a used 228 seafarer, or 208 adventure with hardtop. My question is - what is the total height on the trailer to the top of the hardtop on a 228 seafarer? I know it is going to be a close fit in my building, and every inch counts, so I am looking for a real world dimension. The best the local dealer can tell me is "between 11 and 12 feet" that isn't close enough to base making a decision off!

I prefer the 228 over the 208, but the 4" difference in height could be a deal breaker in making the choice.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this question. I appreciate it.

Tim

My 228 is about 12 feet, I have a radar on top of the hard top, so if you forgo that you might be closer to 11'4". If you want an exact number, I'll go get a level and get you one.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer

I don't understand this, don't you want to know the ground to hard top distance? You aren't taking the boat off the trailer, right? I would think that you'd want the trailer on the tow vehicle and then find the highest point and measure to ground from there.

Trout Poison

Reaction score
Luckydude -

I was just thinking if I knew the keel-to-top dimension, it would be relatively easy to get a measurement from the ground to the keel on any boat I was looking at and just calculate the total. With every trailer having a potentially different height that it holds the boat, that would be the variable I could easily measure. I have exactly 11'-7' of clearance - and will have to work around that dimension to get things mounted. Looking forward to the day I finally have one sitting in the garage.

thanks again to all for the replies.

Tim

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Good job with the clearance from the wife! I recently got the same for boat shopping next year. Sure is a lot of fun doing research and starting the shopping process!!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Luckydude -

I was just thinking if I knew the keel-to-top dimension, it would be relatively easy to get a measurement from the ground to the keel on any boat I was looking at and just calculate the total. With every trailer having a potentially different height that it holds the boat, that would be the variable I could easily measure. I have exactly 11'-7' of clearance - and will have to work around that dimension to get things mounted. Looking forward to the day I finally have one sitting in the garage.

thanks again to all for the replies.

Tim
11' 7" you should be fine without a radar, you should be good even with rocket launcher, aerials, light etc.. Most trailers would be ok as long as they have torsion axles and bent cross-members. Mine has 15" wheels but she sits very low on the trailer, boat is a couple inches above the guards.
Your idea of measuring the keel clearance is clever but in practice it may not work because it will vary depending on where you measure, front to rear will be different.
Find the boat you like then measure it , its not hard , even if you have a piece of timber a bit longer than 8', put it across the hardtop and measure to the ground on both sides, if different take average it out.

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Excuse me, I need a light to shine on the rental house beind me, at the party people that won't go to bed at 3am, will BIGSUN Q953 LED Spotlight be bright enough to bother them?