New Member - Just Purchased An Adventure 208!

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Hello All:

My wife and I just purchased a 1999 Adventure 208 with a 200hp Yamaha 2-Stroke (carbs) from the awesome folks at Comstock Yacht Sales in Brick, NJ. Already had two great outings on the Metedconk River and Barnegat Bay and wish it weren't raining today so we could be back out on the water.

Some projects planned:
1) Replace bow running lights w/LED
2) New electronics, stereo system
3) Lenco trim tabs
4) More engine gauges!

Currently we've run 32kts at 5,300 rpm, with 2 adults and 1 kid, 1/3 tank of fuel, flat seas. She seems to run really nice around 4,000rpm.

Attachments

• GradyAdventur208IMG_7477.jpg
    GradyAdventur208IMG_7477.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,739

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome! Congrats and welcome to the site!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your boat. Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice ride.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the identical boat some years ago and loved it....congratulations.

One question though...at 5300 RPM you should have been going faster than 32 knots based on the described load. We're you using a GPS for speed?

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
32 Knots is 36.5 mph.

What do you think she should be getting? The bottom is dirty... going to pull her and bottom paint.

I was using the built-in GPS in my handheld VHF. Had to disable to old Furuno that was installed since it's GPS antenna was on an old, disintegrating fiberglass antenna mount.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am not Parthery, but I sometimes play him on the interwebs. That boat should top out with a 200 HP motor at WOT around 41-43 mph or 78 knots off the top of my head ;-). I suppose a dirty bottom will induce enough drag to slow her down some. Also, is 5,300 WOT for that motor? Most if not all, outboards I have ever owned top out around 6k RPM. If she is supposed to run at 6k RPM at WOT seems it might be over propped? I am assuming you did open it up or is this your cruise speed?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: New Member - Just Purchased An Adventure 208

When Smoky sings........ :grin:

WOT is 5500 for that motor so you are right where you need to be RPM wise. But you should be 41-42 MPH. I'd get the bottom cleaned up. The extra drag is causing you to burn extra fuel.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
V8 welcome, your gonna love that boat. I have the older '87 version with a 225. We just did a spring run on the flat water of the Delaware River.
I ran a pre-mix in the fuel along with the oil injection as the manual suggests for the first tank after storage. I don't know if that has much affect on performance but the GPS read a max of 46mph (about 40kts). A hull that's caked with marine growth is like pulling a parachute. Once yours is clean I'm sure you'll see the low 40's and get much better performance and economy. Mine likes that 4,000rpm range too. Got to say after the majority of my use being off the Jersey Shore that flat Delaware water was almost boring. :wink:
I've been working on mine all winter and still have a bunch of stuff to do.
A boats been defined as a hole in the water you pour money through, and that's so true.
I just spent another $100+ online for project odds and ends, and your fun is just starting. It'll be worth it though!
Have fun!
Mike.
:welcome

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Welcome to the Grady family, as others have said that is a great boat and you will have a lot of great times with it and the family.
We have a 94 208 and it is and has been everything I hoped for.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi V8,

Nice boat! I'm a relatively new member here, and bought my first boat (a '96 208) last fall. The folks on this site are incredibly helpful. Also, I hear that there is a list somewhere that shows all members with a 208, and all members with other models, etc., though I've never seen it myself. If anyone wants to share a link, info like that would be helpful in directing requests from newbies like me or V8.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Thanks all!

Back out on the water tonight with nothing but smiles. Fresh bottom paint made a world of difference, didn't get her opened up but with a FULL tank of fuel, 4 adults we were doing about 27 knots at 4300 rpm. Didn't open her wide up, but will play more this week.

Already chipping away at the projects list including a good cleaning of the bilge and under the dash, the new LED running lights, and the electronics upgrade is underway.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Ok, can comfortably say 41 mph via GPS with 7/8 fuel and two adults. Trim makes a big difference - best speed attained with the motor about 1/2 way up on the Yamaha gauge. Any higher and the prop loses bite.

against the wind

Reaction score
Hi and welcome, i am also looking to purchase a 1998 to 1999 adventure.. If u dont mind me asking what did you pay for her.. did it come with a good trailor.. thanks

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also, the 208 is not a Donzi. But once you get the bottom cleaned and trim tabs on, you should see much better performance and fuel economy. Bennett makes electric tabs that have no hydraulic stuff to install. Might want to give them a look. Watch your depth in Barnagat Bay. Don't ask how I know.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Daman858 said:
Watch your depth in Barnagat Bay. Don't ask how I know.
I sure don't have too! :lol:
Some 20 years back I had a friend out on my Bayliner and we were buzzing along as I was following the rivers natural channel in the early season when the river wasn't marked. My Buddy John asked the river goes straight, why this way and that. I explained as we went there is a sandbar here and mudflat there. Here's where the natural channel turns again. So it went as we made our way down river. At the inlet John said damn you really know this river and he was impressed until I told him ya I guess I do know the river,,,cause I've hit probably everything there was to hit at one time or another. :wink:
Mike

twinlks

Reaction score
Welcome This site is always helpful. I have an 01 Grady 208, its my 3rd grady.. have had a 204,180 and now the 208. The 208 with the 200hp HPDI runs great. I got this boat last summer with only "60" documented hrs on the engine. Only problem I have had is the Yamaha fuel guage blinks and doesnt show the amount of fuel. After spending alot of time trying to fix (bad ground , replaced sending unit) I finally put a dial guage sending unit in place of the second sending unit. Seems like nothing was wrong with the original unit after-all. Oh by the way my favorite grady so far was the 180 sportsman. I like being able to walk to the bow easily. The 208 has too narrow of a walkway for my big feet! :welcome