New member & new (to me) 232 Gulfstream (Repower Questions)

TunnelVision

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I recently purchased a 1999 232 Gulfstream and I am excited to join the Great Grady community. I was hoping this knowledgeable group could share some insight....
I bought the Grady knowing that the Yamaha 250 OX66 had a blown powerhead (a rod sticking out). The boat has a single outboard bracket setup and, in a perfect world, I would repower with a new Yamaha or Suzuki 300. However, I don't think that a new outboard is in the cards at the moment. So, what to do is the question. I expect that finding a good used 300 in this market will be difficult. 250's are much more available.

Ultimately, my options are:
1) Invest in a new powerhead for the 1999 250 HP OX66 which is thirsty (gas and oil)
2) Find a good used Yamaha F250 4 stroke
3) Hope to find a good, used and reasonably priced 300 HP in this market. (note that I live in Virginia and not in Florida)

Before i make any decisions, I am hoping that this group can help by sharing some performance numbers for 1) a 250 HP and 2) a 300 HP on this hull specifically (I am sure this group knows that this hull is heavy and wide)?

Also of note: The existing blown 1999 250 OX66 had extremely low hours. The original owner let the boat sit for 10 years + and then sold it. The guy who bought it cleaned the fuel tanks, but I don't think he properly serviced the motor before use. Once he took it out, he blew the powerhead.

Thank you.1999 232 Gulfstream 2.jpg1999 250 OX66 2.jpg

Last edited:

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Can’t help you with your motor questions. Boat looks clean and hope you find your answers quickly to enjoy this fabulous boat!

reel cookin

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Congratulation on your gulf stream. I own a 2004 gulfstream and repowered 2 years ago from 225 HP to the new Yamaha 300 HP. it made a big different in performance of the boat. Cruising at 4500RPM 2.3 MPG and about 28MPH WOT about 42MPH. The feels very sporty now.
Hope this helps make up our mind.
Soenke

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd do the 300 followed by the 250 with the rebuild as the last option assuming you can find one.

TunnelVision

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the feedback. The 300 certainly feels like the right choice if I can make it happen. Anyone currently have a 250 on this hull? Would love to hear some numbers on that setup.

Appreciate the help

BirdRock

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider a 250 unless you got a crazy good deal. She will run way better with a newer 300. Finding one is another problem however.

Great boat. Good luck!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What is a new powerhead going to cost you? I'm assuming $5k+? Are they even readily available if you had the money and wanted to buy one yesterday? I was just looking at powerheads the other day for another member on here with a different motor and most of them were $4k on up, and that was just the powerhead itself, not including the cost of labor. I honestly don't think it would be wise to invest that amount of money into a motor that's over 20 years old and would instead look for something used. Even another used Yamaha 250 OX66 would likely be a better buy than just the powerhead by itself. But at the end of the day it's still going to be a used 20+ year old 2 stroke that's still going to be thirsty in regards to fuel and oil consumption, and it's going to smell like a 2 stroke as well as be a bit noisy. I don't have any experience with a 232 Gulfstream and a single main, but I do love numbers and performance data on cars, boats or just about anything else. I always like to check the Cannons website below for performance data on our boats because they typically have more options for motors than the Grady White website has. They don't have the information on a single Yamaha 250 out board but they do for a single Yamaha 300. Top speed is 43.8mph @ 5,900rpm while burning 25.9gph of fuel and with an optimum cruise at 29.3mph @ 4,300rpm, which are pretty fair numbers.

Your boat is a 1999, of which on the GW website they say the maximum hp for your model year is 400hp and I think 250hp is going to feel noticeably slower and a bit sluggish. I'm thinking your max speed will likely be maybe in mid to high 30's? Maybe 35-37mph depending on the amount of fuel, persons and gear? I've also attached a link to an older thread from this site that was asking about 225's and 250's on a 232 Gulfstream and there's some good information on there as well. Although, one member claimed he contacted GW to get the performance data on a 232 Gulfstream with a Yamaha F225 on it and they claim that the top speed was 39.1mph @ 5,700rpm. Which seems a bit optimistic to me considering the numbers mentioned above as well as post #3 on the thread I linked a member said they have a 2005 Gulfstream with an F250 where they cruise 29mph @ 4,500 rpm, 12gph and WOT is 39mph @ 5,800 rpm 20gph. The other forum member also said "The boat is a little under powered with a heavy load, but I'am happy with it for what I use it for. I mostly fish and cruise the Chesapeake bay." So... is it doable? Yes, I think just about anything is possible but I think an F225 is also going to be a bit heavier than your 250 OX66 as well as not have as much torque, which will make it feel slow or sluggish, especially loaded down with people, gear and fuel. If there's a used 300hp outboard available within say oh 1k miles or so, it might be worth taking a weekend road trip down and back to get the motor instead of feeling underpowered and always wishing you had? Ultimately the decision is yours and it comes down to what you want, what you'll use the boat for, how much you want to spend and most importantly... what is available? Good luck!

Last edited:

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I see a decent amount of used or rebuilt ETEC 300s on the market, just sayin...

TunnelVision

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thank you to Great Grady and its members. I have a lot to think about and a lot of searching to do.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had an 04 Gulfstream with an f225. It was a great boat. The 225 was respectable power but it would be better with a 250 or 300. Really depends on budget and more importantly these days, availability. Good luck you will love that boat!

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Boat looks awesome....best of luck with her.
I ran a 250 OX66 for almost 20 years.....awesome motor...but "thirsty" is an understatement.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2004 Gulfstream with a 225 Yamaha and she runs great, not the fastest but the very reliable.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I realize this is a different boat but I have a 1999 228G Seafarer that is 1000lbs lighter than your Gulfstream. I have a 2012 Suzuki DF250 on it and it is a great match for that boat. I would agree that any 4 stroke 250hp outboard would be on the light side.

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Welcome! Beautiful boat - I love my GF. Mine has twins, so I can’t help you much on the 300 vs 250 question. I would add, however, that I can’t imagine running it with less than 300hp.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you are looking for a used motor I would include a used OX66 in your searches, might be more economical to find a running takeoff then a powerhead for that one. They seem to be harder to find but it would be a low cost option to get on the water, and after parting the one you have out even better. I did some minimal research on the 300 HPDI's int he past, I know they had their share of issues, but they have been around long enough it seemed it was well documented on what needed to be done to make them reliable, and with their stigma you might find one very reasonable.

Unless looking for a motor that is fairly new the exhaust corrosion issues frighten me on a used 4 stroke. I would rather an older 2 stroke without those issues compared to a 10+ year old 4 stroke, unless the price was right of course.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
To add to Fire93s comments-

If you spend, either spend really low to (try to) get you by until you get new or use your money wisely and go big now.

You are in VA. Are you a big lake boat, Chesapeake Bay boat or coastal or offshore? That makes a difference. You can risk running an old 2 stroke in a lake or bay but if you want to run for tuna/mahi/white marlin you should go 4 stroke now.
Do you plan to stick with this boat for 5 or 10 years? I hate to use the "L" word but sometimes you gotta buy now and pay while you use it.

Maybe you can find a running ox66 coming off somebody else's repower and then you have some spare parts to keep you going for a while. Problem is labor. If you have to pay a mechanic it will kill you.
I sold my pair of running 225s for $5500 when I repowered. A lot of ox66s are being taken off boats now.
It will pain you to keep sinking money into 20 year old 2 strokes. OX66 is not a long term strategy.

Ideal is new or very young 300 4 stroke. A Suzuki DF300B with the contra rotating props would really suit that boat for its next 20 years

Low hours don't roll back years. Older yammies had that corrosion issue but you still cannot get them for a reasonable price. That is the problem going with used 4 $troke$.
Dunno if the older big zukes had a problem. The DF140s had a corrosion problem in 2003-5.

TunnelVision

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Many thanks for the feedback and thoughtful responses. The boat will be used in the lower Rappahannock and Chesapeake Bay. I will keep looking but it certainly feels like biting the bullet and going new (300 HP) is the most practical option for me in this market. Life is short - I need to be "on" the water. Thanks again.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unless looking for a motor that is fairly new the exhaust corrosion issues frighten me on a used 4 stroke. I would rather an older 2 stroke without those issues compared to a 10+ year old 4 stroke, unless the price was right of course.
Most of the dry exhaust corrosion issues with the Yamaha 4 strokes ceased in or around 2008. I bought my boat back in October with a 2004 F225 Yamaha on it as well as just under 1k hours on the motor and it doesn't have the issue. The dealer I bought it from said they scoped the motor to check and then when I got the boat back home from Maryland I had my local Grady White dealer drop the lower unit and inspect it as well, when I had her in to be winterized for the season. They said she looked perfect, and I think that like with just about everything in life that you should look or inspect the motor/boat/car/home or whatever it is that you're purchasing before you do purchase it. The dry exhaust corrosion thing is a common issue and takes less than an hour of labor to have a shop/mechanic/surveyor drop the lower unit and inspect for the problem. If there was a problem but the rest of the boat checked out, then work the $2k per motor repair costs into the purchase price. If the boat is a dog turd then move on to the next one and see if that engine is any better. I wouldn't, and didn't, pass up on a great boat and for a great deal just because the motor has the potential to have the dry exhaust corrosion issue. It's very quick, cheap and easy to inspect for and as stated above, if it does have the issue, a decent seller will be understanding of that and will work the cost of the repairs into the sale price.