New Member / possible purchase

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Hello all!

Getting back into boating and have found an 88 Grady Trophy Pro that needs lots of TLC. We have looked the boat over carefully two times and are headed there today for compression check on both motors and to hear them run.

I was looking for anyone that can answer a few of the questions I currently have along with any experience and feedback on my concerns.

Boat has outboard bracket with twin evinrude 1997 175 ocean pro carb'd motors with 450 hours each on them. My understanding is that these motors are very thirsty but are pretty much a stout motor. Can anyone elaborate?

The engine bracket seems to made of aluminum and has bottom paint on lower half and top half looks to have been painted and is chipping badly. My concern from what I have read is that certain types of bottom paint were known to react with the aluminum and cause premature failure. Any thoughts?

Lastly, Anyone with real world experience with this boat or a similar model. Common problems with it?

If we agree on a price today, then we plan to move the boat to my house and completely go over the entire thing this year to ensure everything is up to snuff prior t investing in a slip and having issues.

I thank you in advance for any comments and look forward to being a Grady owner soon!

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
photos of motor bracket concerns
Once again, Thanks in advance for any help with my issues!

Attachments

• Motor bracket Concerns.jpg
    Motor bracket Concerns.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,062
  • Motor bracket.jpg
    Motor bracket.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,062

mboyatt

Reaction score
The carbed Ocean Pro is bulletproof. Great outboard. I have a 1994 Evinrude Ocean Pro 200 hp. Purchased the rig used about 3 years ago. Didn't even fire the engine up prior to purchase. The seller was straight up. I didn't check compression until I got her home either. I believe the rule of thumb here is to make sure the cylinders are within a 10 to 15 percent reading of each other. Also, don't stress if the compression numbers are lower, as I believe this is normal for the old loopers. They will run like a bat out of hell. Bring a gas mask and ear plugs. They are thirsty, smoky, and loud. I have no earthly idea how many hours are on mine, but she has never failed me. By the way, you can paint the lower unit yourself and have the cowlings done professionally and they will look sweet. Did mine last year. I waited a couple of seasons figuring the motor is old. Why spend the money on it. But I have come to the conclusion she may run forever! Mine looks and runs like factory new. Really incredible how they keep going if taken care of. I run mine with the original vro going. No mixing.

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
mboyatt,

Thanks for the information. All my previous boats except one was an I/O.
I appreciate your quick feedback and honest response.
The boat has been sitting for about 2 years. Owner died and family did not have the funds for upkeep is my best guess. I'm sure we will be performing lots of work replacing items and lots of cosmetic work to bring her back to her glory.
I'll update later tonight and hopefully all goes in my favor today so I will become a Grady owner.

Thanks again!

mboyatt

Reaction score
Good luck! Grady's are tough boats and they clean up nice. I bought mine in 2012 and the last registration sticker on the boat was dated 1997! She sat for at least 10 years. I removed all stripes and logos, wet sanded with 800 then 1000. Then compound with power buffer and wax. The boat looks new. Waited about 2 seasons then beautified the Evinrude and redid all my seat cushions. Installed the Perko thru hulls that look like shiny chrome (not sure what the are made of). This winter I redid all fuel and vro lines. Not sure what I can do next. Bottom line, if you like tinkering with stuff on weekends you can have that sucker looking new in a season or two. I can't say that I spent much either. The biggest cost was having the cowlings painted. Guy charged 370 bucks for cowling and lower skirts, which I think is pretty steep, but then I figured it will last another 10 years so what the heck. Lower unit I did myself and that came out perfect even with using spray bombs from Evinrude. Hope you find something that suits you !

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Both motors passed compression tests. Lowest reading was 90, highest was 95.
You are absolutely right on target with those motors......we fired them. Loud, obnoxious, smoky......love it.
Bought the boat and having it hauled here to Yardley Pa so we can give her the TLC she needs to be safe and seaworthy next year!

Now the fun begins.......

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Thank you everyone.
She will be delivered here the weekend after Easter. I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions in regards to issues that arise during our work on her. The previous owner did some of the craziest electrical work I have ever seen....currently entire boat operating off one battery only.... which we will more then likely just rip out and start new. Thankfully I have been able to obtain the owners manual and electrical schematics from Gradys site.

If anyone has any literature or knowledge in regards to the location and operation of livewells, seacocks, bilge pumps, wash down pump, etc, I would love to obtain a copy of whatever information you may have. We want to put things back to the original or as close to the original configuration as possible.

Thank you!

mboyatt

Reaction score
Congrats on the new Grady! Looks like a great boat. You will enjoy that setup. Safe and reliable. Good choice! Now the TLC begins.