New member, prospective 208 Owner

Swelldaze

Reaction score
New member considering a well equipped, 2000 208 with Yamaha Saltwater series II 200 o/b, (approximately 900 hrs).15 hp Honda kicker, galv. trailer for approximately 19k. Boat seems to be very well maintained. I seek your collective wisdom and advise. Plan to use in Sea of Cortez for fishing, diving 20- 30 miles offshore. Offer contigent on compression check, sea trial... Hopefully a reasonable cost outboard rebuild if needed in the future. Any issues, general comments from 208 owners. I'm impressed with consensus on quality, seaworthiness, relatively fuel efficiency etc. Great site, thanks for your input!

seasick

Reaction score
Swelldaze said:
New member considering a well equipped, 2000 208 with Yamaha Saltwater series II 200 o/b, (approximately 900 hrs).15 hp Honda kicker, galv. trailer for approximately 19k. Boat seems to be very well maintained. I seek your collective wisdom and advise. Plan to use in Sea of Cortez for fishing, diving 20- 30 miles offshore. Offer contigent on compression check, sea trial... Hopefully a reasonable cost outboard rebuild if needed in the future. Any issues, general comments from 208 owners. I'm impressed with consensus on quality, seaworthiness, relatively fuel efficiency etc. Great site, thanks for your input!
Price is about right depending on what else is included, canvas, Bimini, electronics etc. A survey is recommended especially a moisture test on the transom. Motor is dependable.
20 - 30 miles is farther than I usually sail. Boat handles seas well but can pound you.
Trailer should dual axle.
Ask if the seller kept maintenance logs and also look at how the boat has been maintained. That says a lot about how well the motor has been treated.

I have a 2001 208.

LB2141

Reaction score
I recently purchased the same boat (2000 208) with trailer for $16k but it has a 150hp SWSII on the back. It is in really good shape and has updated electronics etc etc. I wish it had the 200hp like the one you are looking at but I think I got a pretty good deal regardless. I wouldn't call it a steal but I didn't want to pass it up. The owner originally told me she felt that the boat was worth $20k but she would take $18k. I did a lot of searching and wound up finding some 208's that sold for less than that and showed her. In the end she wound up accepting $16k. If you search by my user name, you should be able to find the thread I started and read some input from people on here. Good luck. The more I read, the happier I am that I didn't pass it up

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Us 208 owners love our boats and you will too until 2-foot-itis sets in. If all checks out, sounds like a good deal.

derx2

Reaction score
I was going to post a few days ago....but when I read my post it echoed many of the other posts (good advice here)

The one thing that I would ask... will you be using the boat daily (charter use) in Baja or just seasonally?

I ask because, I found the runs to the fishing grounds to be longer in Mexico and fast trolling a 2 stroke is not exactly in the "sweet spot" for economy for these engines.
--------------------
I took my G/W 204 with v6 yamaha carb'ed engine. to Baja in 2010, it was the most fun that I ever had....have fun!

Swelldaze

Reaction score
Use will be seasonal (non charter)...made offer, we'll wait and see; hopeful. Thanks for input.