New member. Proud Owner of G.W. Seafarer 228g

Johnny d

Reaction score
First post as a new member. Proud owner of a 2002 G.W. Seafarer 228g. Just bought it yesterday. I am so excited to get her in the water and do some fishing.

Johnny d

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nothing quite like the feeling of a Grady in your life.

Congrats and enjoy; Spring is early this year according to the groundhog.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Welcome. You will enjoy that boat.

Two things:

1. You have come to the right place for information. There are a LOT of knowledgable folks on here that are generous with their time. I have learned a lot just by reading.

2. Grady White service and support is outstanding. I bought my boat used, and it did not matter to them. The few times I emailed them with questions, they responded in a very timely manner, and were very professional and helpful when they did.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

SwampGrizz

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your Grady. If your boat has a hard top and you are trailering her,.she is a little squirrelly when landing her in a cross wind. The boat likes the motor trimmed slightly up when docking for reverse thrust in particular. We took our 228 on a cruise last year to the Abacos. It is a great boat for her size.size.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Johnny d said:
First post as a new member. Proud owner of a 2002 G.W. Seafarer 228g. Just bought it yesterday. I am so excited to get her in the water and do some fishing.

Johnny d

Without pitchers it didn't happen. :mrgreen:

Jus' kidding, you're gonna' love that boat!

Johnny d

Reaction score
Thanks all for kind words. My boat came with a 2002 F225 yama 4 stroke. I really wanted the yama 200 HPDI. I hope I made the right decision.

Thanks for the advice of trimming her up in reverse when she gets squirrely. I can't wait for Spring to get her.

Johnny d

Reaction score
GulfSea said:
Johnny d said:

Johnny d

trying to post pictures. can anybody help with posting pics

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Johnny d said:
GulfSea said:
Johnny d said:

Johnny d

trying to post pictures. can anybody help with posting pics

You will love the 4 banger!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yet some more unsolicited advise. Depending on how you use her, I would look into a 4 blade prop. I put a 4 blade prop on my boat last year and it made positive differences in how the boat handled. Improved hole shot,power turns for water sports, adds some stern lift, planes at lower speeds and a little improved fuel economy. You will love the 4 stroke for sure.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The easiest way to post pics is to open a Flickr account. It's free.

Upload the pics to it and each pic will be assigned a line of code. You click on the pic then click on "share"...the code pops up....copy and paste it into the message box here on GG and presto!, your pic appears.

PM me if you needs help....I'm happy to assist.

Johnny d

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Yet some more unsolicited advise. Depending on how you use her, I would look into a 4 blade prop. I put a 4 blade prop on my boat last year and it made positive differences in how the boat handled. Improved hole shot,power turns for water sports, adds some stern lift, planes at lower speeds and a little improved fuel economy. You will love the 4 stroke for sure.

I appreciate the advice, keep it coming.

SmokeyMthGrady,
I currently have a 3 blade stainless prop on her. I wanted to up grade to a 4 blade prop for better hole shot, and increased fuel economy is always a plus. What brand are you using? I was looking at Michigan Wheel. What size and pitch? Thanks for the advice.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congratulations on your new boat. The 22' is the most versatile Grady as you will soon find out.

One thing to check right away is the mid section exhaust tube on your F225. Corrosion in that area has destroyed more than a few engines made between 2000 and 2005. If you drop the lower unit to replace the impeller, you (or your shop) can run a lighted scope up there and take a look. An engine that age will either have the problem or it wont.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/october/Yamaha-F225-Corrosion-Complaints.asp

If you Google F225 exhaust corrosion, you'll learn more about the problem.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Hopefully she has trim tabs and if so, don't be afraid to use them. I used my 228 for over a year before discovering, by accident, they will not only bring her up on plane at slower speeds and improve fuel economy but more importantly bring the sharp entry part of the bow into the waves making for a smoother ride; the manual even describes this but who reads those things.... And has been mentioned, I always tilt the engine up when coming into dock for better handling. I think it's the combined torque of the motor with bracket that causes difficulty in control. But once you find the tilt sweet spot, it's eeeezzzzzee.