New Member Saying Hey

sprockets

Reaction score
Thought I'd say a quick hello since I just joined. I see some familiar screen names from THT and other forums.

I sold my Sea Pro 220 last week and one of the boats on my short list is a 180 Sportsman. Time to downsize! I'll post in the For Sale/Wanted section soon. Today I was speaking to my mechanic about my plans and he said he had a 2001 180 in his shop so I went and took a look. It was in great shape with a Yamaha F115. It is a customer's boat and not for sale, but it was great to be able to check it out.

How underpowered would a 180 be with a F115? I'm thinking upper30's WOT.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello and welcome aboard. As far as the 180 goes, max. HP on that boat is 150, so 115 is not too under power but if i had a choice i would go max. on the power. My thoughts are that i would never say i have too much power, but that is just me.

sprockets

Reaction score
Thanks Captain. My 22' Sea Pro had a 200 HPDI which was close to max. It was nice to have the extra power, but offshore I rarely got to take advantage of it due to conditions.

I see there are a lot of members from Long Island. Last summer I had the opportunity to visit Southhampton and stay at the Meadow Club. Beautiful area up there. Montauk and Sag Harbor made nice day trips.

capeguy

Reaction score
Welcome Sprockets. The 180 is a great boat, I just sold mine last spring after 5 years. I had the 130HP 2S which I found to be the perfect combination of power and weight. Top end was about 40mph with that combo. A good friend has the 150 4S and he really flies, plus much less fuel.

I think the 115 will be fine, you rarely will run over 25-28mph anyway unless it is FAC.

The 180 is far and away the best 18' boat you will find. It is truely a smaller version of a bigger boat, I often had people ask me if it was 20' or more. Layout is unequalled in this size.

I took mine 15-20 miles off shore on good days.

Happy hunting.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome aboard and this board is great. If it has not been asked then ask it and most likely you will get an answer. Also GW customer service will always help too if we do not have the answer. I was amazed. Good luck in your hunt.