New member Seafarer to Gulfstream info

robcar

Reaction score
I've got a 96 Seafarer 228, w/ 225 2 stroke carb. Considering moving up to Gulfstream. Reasons:
- Need for improved ride when moving and stability when fishing(sitting still) The 228 rocks side to side alot in any wave action. I boat in LI Sound and the chop can be tough. The wife and daughter like boating but not enough to go out on any day with waves over 18-24 inches. This is the biggest issue for me.
- More deck space, even though 228 cockpit is roomy with engine bracket.
- More storage space and larger fish boxes.
- 4 stroke engine or at least 2 stroke w fuel injection.
- Slightly better location of potty. Sounds silly, but not to any of my female guests.

I've heard that the Gulfstream difference in ride and handling is substantial, due to the increased beam. I'd prefer to not have to go up to a 26- 28 foot boat, for personal reasons. I've loved the 228, but feel I need more boat to keep the family involved.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and input.

HMBJack

Reaction score
"The wife and daughter like boating but not enough to go out on any day with waves over 18-24 inches."

This is sooo funny. If I had 24 INCHES of wave activity everytime I go out I'd think I died and went to Heaven! I feel very lucky if we have 6 FEET of swell for my 228G. We were out a week ago in a 12-14 foot swell - no problem. My suggestion: have your wife and daughter get some Scopace from your family doctor. It will neutralize the 24 inch swell you have there.

Anyway - to each his own. If you can swing it, the Gulfstream with twin F150's is a great combination. But Scopce is much, much cheaper...

robcar

Reaction score
Rolling swells are not as much of an issue as the chop. I almost prefer swells, but certainly not 6+feet. I'll work on the seasickness meds for the wife.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Waaaay different seas on the East and West coats. A tight 2' chop can be a PIA. Try 6' seas with a 6 second period. 12-14 swells may 'take a little getting used to'.

SOJOURN

Reaction score
Gulfstream

I had a Gulfstream as my first Grady - The Biggest of their "small" boats. Once you ride the 23, you will feel like it is a 28 footer. We upgraded to the Marlin because we now do overnighters - tough on the Gulfstream. I would make sure you get twins. My single 250 was enough for almost every day, but slightly short with a full boat load and some seas.

Good luck

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
robcar: We test drove the 228 and the 232 before settling on the 258. 232 was a much 'bigger' ride than the 228. We ran offshore in 2'-4' and the 232 ate it up easily. Very good stability at drift also. Only draw back (for my wife) was that the 232 does not have a transom door whereas the 258 does.

The 232 and the 258 are similar-sized boats that weigh close to the same. The 232 has a bit more beam and the 258 has a bit more waterline length (but not LOA). 232 has more emphasis on the cabin and (I think) the 258 has a more fishing-friendly transom set up.

Rob

HMBJack

Reaction score
In reflection - I meant no disrespect in my reply above.

As to your question - either the Gulfstream or Journey would be a step up relative to the Seafarer. Maybe let your wife and daughter choose - either one is a dream boat. Agreeably - you will pay more purchase price and fuel costs with these fine choices over the Seafarer which you already own. The choice is yours. Good luck!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have done exactly what you are thinking of doing.

I sold my '92 Seafarer and purchased my '07 Gulfstream and have never looked back. The ride is miles better and I really like the extra beam not only for ride and stability but for room on board also.

I really recommend twins on the Gulfstream. there are some here who like their single-powered rigs, but I would never own one without twins. I have the 200 4-strokes and think that's the ideal power. It cruises at 30-32MPH at 3800-3900 RPM. Gets 1.9 to 2.0 MPG in calm water where you can plane and not drag tabs. These engines do not work hard and hopefully will last years, as I plan on keeping the boat for a long time.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have gone from am 85 Seafarer (which is still running strong) to an 2004 Gulfstream and now have a 2004 Sailfish. The Gulfstream is a great baot and the ride was far superior in every aspect. I had a single F225 on mine and for the mst part it was ok - not ideal. Carrying 5-6 people would bog it down a bit in heavy seas. Great stability and the head although a porta potti was connected to a macerator with pump out options. At the time all I could afford was a single engine and I have no regrets because I loved the boat. The Sailfish is a subtanially bigger and heavier boat again and has the twin engines which I would never walk away from at this point. I'd say buy the most you can afford. Good luck

lowcountry

Reaction score
Gulfstream

Sorry for not commenting sooner.
This past May I moved up from a Tournament 225 to a Gulfstream w/ a Yamaha 350 four stroke. Very happy with the new boat - zero complaints. Surprisingly roomy, excellent ride and very fast - 45knots if you want to go that fast. Nothing not to like about this boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For personal reasons, you may have to go more than the Gulfstream to KEEP THE WOMEN HAPPY.

That's about as personal it gets, keeping the women happy (?)

Make sure you sea trial the Gulfstream with the women on board, go to a Grady dealer and go out on the day of weather you mention and see if the Gulf is enough. Doesn't matter if you buy the boat from the dealer or not.

Might as well try a leftover Sailfish as well.

Make sure you get sign off from the women on th eboat of choice, otherwise, you may be going through this all over again.

If one gets seasick, try Scopalomine, need a doctors prescription. Its a patch that gets placed near the ear as I recall.

This is the only med I know that works on the hardcore cases, when all the others have failed.

Good luck.

my retreat

Reaction score
I just moved up to an 03 Islander. Much higher gunnel's and great seating. The cabin is what sets it apart from the 22 or 23. you can stand in the cabin and your wife will like the separate bathroom. Like one person wrote, purchase the boat you can afford and twins are the way to go. I have twin 200hpdi's and burn only two more gallons an hour over my single 22' 225 mercury optimax!

Good luck!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 232 will ride much better in a chop, the added weight itself is a benefit to the ride, and the wider beam helps a little too. The 232 feels larger then its real size and will have a noticable difference in ride over the 22, but in the end, it is still a 23' boat and you will feel the chop a little. Make sure in a chop you have the boat trimmed out correcly or the ride can be horrible, trimmed out right in those seas it should not be a problem for you. A 1.5-2' day is nothing either of those boats can handle. I owned a pre SV2 Seafarer and it handled those conditions, it was a little wet at times but never had an issue running in those conditions, and I've fished 232 with friends plenty of times, they run through that stuff as well. All boats feel wave action no matter what size they are, it is more of how they react to the waves that makes them feel like a rougher ride or more tender or rocky when drifting or anchored. All of this is also effected by how the boat is rigged and loaded, on a small boat weight distribution also effects all of this significantly.

As BobP recommends, have the wife go for a sea trial, make sure she is happy. She may think a boat can be smooth and never feel a bump, that isnt reality so you need to see if this suits her needs or if she will never be pleased boating unless it is flat calm. Make sure this jump up will make her happier and actually get her on the boat more.

robcar

Reaction score
great feed back

Thanks again for the well thought out responses. What a great forum.
The devil is in the details, and while loving a boat is subjective, the input here helps evaluate my next move. Nothing like experience for guidance.

To answer BobP, yes, its about keeping the gals happy if I want to keep boating. I don't have the time to go out alone and not share the boat with the family. I absolutely will test ride any boat before trying, as several dealers have suggested.

How long until spring?????