New Member with ?? on Gulfstreams or similar

Gary S

Reaction score
Not a Grady owner yet but maybe soon. I'm 64, retired, and have a house on a canal that leads into the Assawoman Bay behind Ocean City, MD. 25 years ago I fished out of OC on a 20' Wellcraft cuddy and didn't mind the bouncing through the inlet through my 30s, got out of boating for a bunch of years and now getting back to it. I bought a new 21'CC and while it's nice I miss the cuddy to store stuff and I don't feel as secure in the inlet as I'd like to, thinking maybe a Gulfstream or what else anyone suggests. Probably look at 8-10 year old boats.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You would feel very comfortable in the Gulfstream. The wide beam and full stern with bracket make it a very stable and sea worthy boat. it feels and handles like a much bigger boat. I tested my 2004 in some crazy water in Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod and never felt unsafe. Good Luck!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I will agree with Legends statements. The 23 GS is a great all around boat with good handling in sloppy seas. I've gad a few 20+ mile rides in 4-6's and she handles great. It has a good entry so it doesn't pond in the chop but is very stable at anchor.

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Gulfstream with twin Honda 130's. Keep it at the Ocean Pines Yacht Club. The boat handles great. As I get older I have to pick my days going offshore, but the Hot Dog/ Hambone area on nice days are certainly doable. Also, its small enough to flounder fish in the bay. My last 2 Gradys were 228 Seafarer and 26 Islander and I prefer the gulfstream to both.

Gary S

Reaction score
jcacchio said:
I have a 2002 Gulfstream with twin Honda 130's. Keep it at the Ocean Pines Yacht Club. The boat handles great. As I get older I have to pick my days going offshore, but the Hot Dog/ Hambone area on nice days are certainly doable. Also, its small enough to flounder fish in the bay. My last 2 Gradys were 228 Seafarer and 26 Islander and I prefer the gulfstream to both.

Any chance you'd want to take another old timer for a ride, or fishing? I have gas money. I made a mistake on my current CC and don't want to mess up again. I'm at the Fenwick house this week.

Bokat

Reaction score
I have a 93 Gulfstream w/twin 175 Evinrude DFI's w/4 blade props. It is a great boat and is has the Sea V2 hull. I bought it used and it came with twin carbureted 140 Johnsons on it. When I repowered the performance was greatly improved. I never felt the 140's were quite enough power. The repower also doubled my gas mileage from 1 mpg to 2 mpg. I am 66 yrs old and just bought a 2006 282 Sailfish for a better ride. My wife and I just took a 2 week trip to the Abacos in the 23 and it did just great except for the rougher water, mostly the crossing from FL. Once there, it was great. My wife would like to make the trip again and she said the 23 was good enough and I didn't need to spend the money on the 28. That will give you some perspective on how the 23 rides. I will keep the 23 a while to make sure the 28 is not too much boat. Both boats are on trailers and the 28 is a beast. Good luck with your research.

Gary S

Reaction score
What year did the Gulfstream get the Sea V2 Hull?

ralph85

Reaction score
jcacchio said:

jcacchio, why did you like the Gulfstream better than the Islander?

jcacchio

Reaction score
We caught a lot of fish offshore with our Islander so I can't complain about that, but the narrow beam for a boat 28 feet in length made for some uncomfortable rides home. The Gulfstream, with its wide beam, feels like a bigger boat and I find that the ride home when the afternoon winds pick up is a more stable ride. I can stay on course with much less effort.