dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wife and I bought a house in Ft Pierce Fl, got the house, furniture, boat and rods. Only thing we did not get is the golf cart! 92 Grady Marlin with twin 2 stroke Yamaha 250's. The boat has good bones, the engines seem to run well. Electronics need work. Radio and GPS/Depth finder are new but many switch issues. Corrosion is rampant. Very new to this world so suggestions would always be welcome.
Thank

UCPA111

Reaction score
Congratulations. If I planned to keep a boat on the water, I'd own a Marlin.
When it comes to wiring, I hate chasing the intermittent issues. I pulled all wiring out of my Seafarer and started over with a marine circuit panel with breakers and ran power to it from batteries. It was a huge improvement over fuses everywhere. Not that I'm saying you need to go that extreme with a do-over, but I love knowing it's all new. I pulled some "green" wiring, connectors, etc out. Not sure how the previous owner put up with it. I purchased new switches and added several from New Wire Marine. They did an excellent job for me.

It boils down to how deep you want to dive into restoring the boat. I made up my mind I was going to hammer on the boat during a winter and get everything mission critical done. Last summer I launched and had a ball. No problems. This winter I've been working on all the "nice" things like trim work, paint, gelcoat, new striping and GW logos, and a boat name. Getting closer to being done!

I hope you share some pictures of this new to you beast. Here is a link to some of my videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb
My boat is a 1984 model. Here she is:

Attachments

• 20180831_193618_resized.jpg
    20180831_193618_resized.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 7

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just take your time figuring things out. Always search here and ask questions if you need help. Plenty of good people on the board to help you! Best of luck with the home and boat.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
New house and a GW Marlin . Talk about a dream home ! Congratulations. Given the seasons we are moving into I would start with critical fixes and develop a longer term plan once you have a chance to full assess the wiring. Good Luck

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Did you get any manuals or maintenance records with the boat? G/W can provide you with a complete wiring diagram. I have the wiring diagrams for my 96 Islander and every model on up for 96. Don't know if changes have been made between 92 and 96 but I have marlin diagrams. Contact Grady and let them know you now own the boat. You will be recognized as the new owner and receive the G/W newsletter

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
did get the manual and am studying voraciously! will contact gw