New (old) Grady owner here, some questions

nerd

Reaction score
Hi all-

Just came home a few hours ago from a successful survey, sea trial and subsequent purchase of a 92 Grady White Explorer. The survey turned up pretty clean, with most of the recommendations being to replace seals here and there (on the gas tank and fresh water caps and on the inspection hatches).

Anyone know the best place to grab these items? The surveyor recommended a hydraulic shop, but I'm in NYC and most of the places that do hydraulic work would probably just look at me kinda funny.

Also curious as to whether anyone knows if it's possible to get the covers to the livewell and fish box. Both are chipping in the corners, and although it's only aesthetic the fact that the prior owner kept the boat so clean makes these minor issues more annoying to me somehow.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Im not really drawing the connection here between seals and a hydraulic shop. You can get "o" rings for the gas and water caps at west marine (bring the old ones). You can get the "gas lifters" that help open and close the hatches at many sites online...tale the make off of your current ones. Not sure this is what your looking for.

nerd

Reaction score
bayrat said:
Im not really drawing the connection here between seals and a hydraulic shop. You can get "o" rings for the gas and water caps at west marine (bring the old ones). You can get the "gas lifters" that help open and close the hatches at many sites online...tale the make off of your current ones. Not sure this is what your looking for.

Thanks! I'm going to hit West Marine tomorrow and pick up the gaskets in question. As to the hatches - maybe I'm referring to them the wrong way, but I mean the circular panels you remove (inspection panels?) to get a look into the bilge. The rings on these have shrunk/cracked and might start allowing water into the bilge, corroding the gas tank, etc.

The other item I'll need are thru-hulls. He said they're in good enough shape now, but they should go at the end of the season.

seasick

Reaction score
Many marine supply stores will carry the round rings. You need to measure the diameter, it is probably 6 inches, maybe 8.
That said, replacement access panels (round) are not all that expensive, anywhere from 12 to 20 bucks. A gasket will be about 4 bucks or so.
Getting replacement hatches for the lockers will be either really expensive ( If Grady still has them) or more likely, tough to do. If the covers are structurely sound, you might want to go to a fiberglass shop to what they want to fix them up.

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
The port and starboard fishbox covers are part # 07-272 and 07-273. I called Grady because I have to fix mine up as well and they cost $550 each. So there you have it

nerd

Reaction score
cobrapowersys said:
The port and starboard fishbox covers are part # 07-272 and 07-273. I called Grady because I have to fix mine up as well and they cost $550 each. So there you have it

Thanks, but OUCH - $1100 for two flimsy covers that will likely break again? I think I'm going to use them to get handy with epoxy...