New Owner 1983 Kingfisher 25'5" Twin Mercruiser 470 Inb

dowplunger

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I purchased the boat in great shape in November and think I've done ok: $9k running (hull is great, twin 470's and drives being gone thru by All Island Marine in Oceanside LI now) and need to get to the thru hulls. I've read all the threads on this seemingly painstaking procedure but am left with a big question: WHAT SIZE ARE MY THRU HULLS!?!?!?!?!? Sent an email to Grady Customer Service but haven't gotten a reply. I'd like to order the new thru hulls, hoses and clamps (double) on line but have no idea what various sizes this boat requires. I realize the Kingfish is pretty rare but I assume they would use the same sizes on the 19 Sailfish. Any help would be appreciated. Also any further opinions on Stainless vs. Chrome over Bronze below the waterline? Someone recommended Titanium on a post, are there any electrolysis issues with Titanium below the waterline? Would love some feedback. I need to post some pics. Also need a hardtop at somepoint, anybody know a good guy to do it locally here in Nassau County? Thanks for the help!!! Bill

nauditq

Reaction score
On my 78 Kingfish, I used Perko chrome over bronze thru-hull fittings 1.5"
in size. I to searched the difference in SSteel, Bronze, Titanium, etc. and was concerned about corrosion. In the end, it seemed plastic was the answer, but not what I wanted to hear, since my thruhulls are a good three inches under water. And yes, the chrome will, does let go and turn ugly.
Grady073.jpg

I can't remember the exact length of new hose, but 3ft. per side rings a bell. On my boat it snaked thru the stringer out to the scupper.
Grady075.jpg

Heavy duty exhaust hose used to connect thru-hull to scupper, double clamped. A little tuff to snake thru and fit, but well worth any chaffing or failure worries.
Grady077.jpg

Congrats on the boat. I love mine.
[/img]

dowplunger

Reaction score
RE: kingfisher thru hulls and hoses

Naudtiq,

Thank for the reply and pics. It sounds like I ought to go with stainless above and either stainless or bronze below the waterline. I'm wondering about hose type for the raw water washdown, probably the clear marine garden hose looking stuff? Assuming that the black exhaust hose you used is best for the bilge etc?

Also considering moving the batteries from the transom (underneath the small drop - in containers that are for bait or something) to possibly make the transom into a large fish box. Anybody ever do this?

Bill

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it's way under the waterline, use bronze. It's ugly but you'll never see it and it's tough.

Don't use the standard clear hose for the raw water washdown. It's pricy but get the wire reinforced hose.

dowplunger

Reaction score
Grog and Naudtiq,

I got to the thru-hulls today. Not so bad as my inboards and drives are out of the boat. There are 4 which are 1" (one of which is below the waterline where I've decided to go with bronze) then there is 1 which is 5/8" ( above waterline sink drain). I checked the suppliers online from a previous post but was able to find them even cheaper (and all at one online store) at

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/

including the $6 shipping all 5 (4 stainless and 1 bronze) along with a tube each of 5200 and 4200 was $111.65!!! The only thru hull I have not located is the one below the waterline amidships. I think this must be the toughie.

Will post some pictures once uploaded. Thanks for the help.

Bill

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dow - use the same italian hose for the washdown, it's a premium quality hose, wire reinforced to keep it's shape from colapsing under suction, and very flexible.

Comes in various sizes. My SW washdown / LW is 3/4 in.