New owner in the Chesapeake Bay Area with trailer question.

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I am a new member that just purchased a Freedom 235 that is not due for delivery until April or so (long time to wait for an immediate gratification type). Primary boating has been in Florida (Cedar Key and Marco Island) and Colorado using an 18 ' Seaswirl Striper. I had used it a few times on the Chesapeake and was feeling size limited so decided to upgrade. With the Striper weighing about 2ooo # and the Freedom 235 about 7000 # and not trailering much in the new area I have a trailer question. I am buying a new trailer with the Freedom 235 and would like input on the advantage of bunkers vs. rollers on the trailer. I have bunkers on my current boat but have been told that factoring in tides, a roller trailer may be better since I may be able to offload and load in low tide conditions. The tides in Colorado are relatively stable (LOL). I know that this is a question for which 10 people will have 15 answers but thought that I would throw it out anyway. Thanks for any input.

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Yes, I hope they were not talking about 2023! That was the fastest that the dealer said that they could get it. I guess that everyone wants a Grady.

seasick

Reaction score
Go to the launch ramp that you would use and watch what others have as trailers. Bring lunch, and hang out. it may be entertaining!
Really, see what works for other similar sized boats. It will be the best advice you can get.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, I hope they were not talking about 2023! That was the fastest that the dealer said that they could get it. I guess that everyone wants a Grady.
Wow! I hope your dealer actually placed the order with Grady, and is not waiting until he has more "sold". I know the build time is running long, but that's really out there.
Good luck. I hope it comes in for you before the end of the year.

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Wow! I hope your dealer actually placed the order with Grady, and is not waiting until he has more "sold". I know the build time is running long, but that's really out there.
Good luck. I hope it comes in for you before the end of the year.
I really hope that also but he was sure that it would not be this boating season. He said that the earliest that they would have the boat finished would be Feb. or so. Since we expect to be out of the country in March (covid willing) April seemed just fine. I notice that you have the next Freedom model up (the 255), how do you like it?? What kind of trailer do you use? (if any)

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Go to the launch ramp that you would use and watch what others have as trailers. Bring lunch, and hang out. it may be entertaining!
Really, see what works for other similar sized boats. It will be the best advice you can get.
I actually hope to have it in covered storage in North Chesapeake, with many of the launches using a lift but I will be taking it all over the bay looking for fish.

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve had both bunks and rollers on previous boat trailers. And have bunks with my 228.

I prefer bunks as they are dead simple and rarely have issues. Also in my experience with bunks you can get the boat to sit lower on the trailer, which reduces the water depth needed to float it off. I would choose bunks, but in the end you need to work with the trailer and boat dealers to get it set up to your liking.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My .02. I have a much larger Grady, 282, same area though as you. I don't trailer it, the last guy did extensively, venture trailer with bunks. He had it down around Solomon's, I'm near Annapolis. I also now own a Scout 251XS, that came with bunks and I managed to float it in practically nothing. A lot of the smaller ramps around here, my community has one, can be unusable at anything but high tide. A guy I fish with has a 29 Regulator that we've launched at Sandy Point in all water conditions, never an issue with that ramp. He has Bunks and an F250 that we've had to lock in to 4wd when things were low and slick. I think they are more reliable as there are no moving parts of any kind and the only maintenance you'll really have to do it replace the carpet once in a blue moon. As a kid I saw a guy with rollers mistakenly unhook at a ramp one time and the thing rolled right off the back and landed on the ground as he put the truck in gear. Oversight on his part but that prob doesn't happen with the wood, more forgiving.

seasick

Reaction score
The main issue is launch water depth but also consider that if you tend to launch and haul by yourself, bunks can be an advantage mainly since it is less likely that the boat will roll backwards off the trailer when hauling.
On the other hand, at some ramps, it may be easier to crank a hull up snug with a roller trailer. If you go rollers, remember that you can;t have too many:) but can easily have too few especially for heavier loads..

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks everyone for the information. I think that I will spec bunks for the trailer and just watch the tide charts for launch and retrieve. The trailer that I have now for my 18' Seaswirl is a bunk trailer and I am very happy with it although the tides in Colorado don't cause too many problems.:) Thanks for the input.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I really hope that also but he was sure that it would not be this boating season. He said that the earliest that they would have the boat finished would be Feb. or so. Since we expect to be out of the country in March (covid willing) April seemed just fine. I notice that you have the next Freedom model up (the 255), how do you like it?? What kind of trailer do you use? (if any)
Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. I just bought the 255 this year, and have spend the last few months "making it mine"; e.g. repairs, adjustments, bottom blasting, barrier coat & bottom paint, and dozens of other projects that needed doing. So with that said, It is quite a big change in every way, from my 282 Sailfish, and I really haven't had much helm time yet. From what I have, so far so good. I wanted to buy a Freedom 275, but I missed out on the only one I could find. Found this one about a month later, so I "settled" for a 255, but more than likely will buy a 275 if/when I find one.

My boat was delivered by a hauler on his transport trailer, so that was the first order of business. This was back in late April. Slim pickins, but I found a new Loadrite tandem axle aluminum bunk trailer at a dealer right here near me, and it was the only one anyone had for more than a hundred mile radius. Overpriced in mid-six thousand, but I bought it. I only trailer twice a year; a quarter mile for Spring launch, and again for winter haulout, so I didn't need anything with brakes, but no other choice, and no used trailers to be found.

Speaking of trailers, I preferred a bunk trailer both for my 282 Sailfish (sold in June), and for the 255. I've had roller trailers on 3 previous Grady's before the Sailfish, and I launch and retrieve by myself, Sailfish or Freedom. I like the bunk trailers better.

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. I just bought the 255 this year, and have spend the last few months "making it mine"; e.g. repairs, adjustments, bottom blasting, barrier coat & bottom paint, and dozens of other projects that needed doing. So with that said, It is quite a big change in every way, from my 282 Sailfish, and I really haven't had much helm time yet. From what I have, so far so good. I wanted to buy a Freedom 275, but I missed out on the only one I could find. Found this one about a month later, so I "settled" for a 255, but more than likely will buy a 275 if/when I find one.

My boat was delivered by a hauler on his transport trailer, so that was the first order of business. This was back in late April. Slim pickins, but I found a new Loadrite tandem axle aluminum bunk trailer at a dealer right here near me, and it was the only one anyone had for more than a hundred mile radius. Overpriced in mid-six thousand, but I bought it. I only trailer twice a year; a quarter mile for Spring launch, and again for winter haulout, so I didn't need anything with brakes, but no other choice, and no used trailers to be found.

Speaking of trailers, I preferred a bunk trailer both for my 282 Sailfish (sold in June), and for the 255. I've had roller trailers on 3 previous Grady's before the Sailfish, and I launch and retrieve by myself, Sailfish or Freedom. I like the bunk trailers better.
Thanks so much for the information! Sounds like you have been busy with your new Grady. Have a great rest of the boating year.

John

Chris275

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I bought the last GW 275 that Tristate had not yet sold for this year. They are apparently selling boats for delivery in 2022 now. Paid for mine in July and got the boat about a month ago. Also ordered from Dave's Trailers in Glen Burnie a nice aluminum LoadRite tandem 10,000 lb trailer. They recommended a bunk trailer, and I agreed. Traded in my older 228, which also had an aluminum bunk trailer. I had torn off the carpet for the bunks and put on the plastic ribbed bunk slides that Daves sells. Loved them, as it was much easier to both launch and load the 228 from all sorts of ramps -- even the sand "ramp" down in Key Largo. I seem to recall that Grady recommended bunk trailers some years ago. I have used bunk trailers on a number of power boats smaller than my new 275.

Got the new trailer after about 13 weeks of waiting. LoadRite even put really sharp aluminum wheels on it. They said that they likely ran out of steel wheels, so I got a free upgrade. When I go back for the 20 hour check over and service by Tristate, they are going to fit the trailer to the 275. Going down the bay today for this service. Will be a nice 40 mile trip in nice weather (I hope). Got an autopilot for the boat, so should be an easy trip.

Got several options from LoadRite, including double spare tires, as we trailer to Florida at least once per year down I95. Also got all stainless steel bolts and U-joints and nuts and SS brake lines. Also got the plastic bunk edges again in order to ease launching/recovery. I encourage you to consider the same. My 228 rode very well on bunks, with the bunks aligned with the hull's internal struts. We will do the same for the 275. I keep it on a lift here on the Magothy, and Tristate told me to align those bunks with the struts, which I did and it sits well on the lift now.

Hope you are able to get the trailer you want. Heard that all manufacturers are really backed up on production. Certainly the case for engine builders too.