New owner of a 1980 204c overnighter

Mastrouble

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi all,
I'm Marc. I just bought a 1980 204c. I think I got a decent deal. I will try to attach pics but it's my first post.
I'm interested in anything about the boat. Especially manuals or websites with specific information or where to find parts.Screenshot_20210317-083626_Facebook.jpg
The p.o. bought but didnt install the plastic gas tank so that will be one of the first projects and I'm sure I'll have questions.
Its powered by a 1990 johnson 130hp which sounds underpowered to me, but the p.o. said he and his friends used it wakeboarding.
I previously owned a 14' thundercraft tri hull with a 65hp. It was a lake boat.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Nice boat. I got an 84 overnighter a few months back, it’s been really fun. GW has their brochures on the website by year. 130hp might be a little undersized, it’s a heavy hull, but give it a few whirls around the lake and see how it handles before dumping more $ at an engine upgrade. Might be easier to upgrade the whole boat in the future than try to repower a functional rig. My Volvo Penta 4.3GL is I think about 190hp and gets up on plane about 20mph and tops over 30 without pushing the engine too hard. Lots of message boards on this site for many topics/projects. My biggest issue has been with the trailer so don’t forget that maintenance. Enjoy it!

Reactions: Mastrouble

Mastrouble

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It looks sweet. I'll be using it in the gulf of Mexico mostly.
One of the reasons I bought it is it comes with two of the same working motors(johnson 130hp). I agree about trying the setup for awhile first.
P.O. said he used it to snap and pull wakeboarders behind the boat.
I went to the GW site but 1980 is left blank on the manual and brochure list.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It looks sweet. I'll be using it in the gulf of Mexico mostly.
One of the reasons I bought it is it comes with two of the same working motors(johnson 130hp). I agree about trying the setup for awhile first.
P.O. said he used it to snap and pull wakeboarders behind the boat.
I went to the GW site but 1980 is left blank on the manual and brochure list.

nice have fun with it. Should be a year close to 1980 on the site probably.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Back when I bought my first Grady, the 204c came with a choice of 115 or 135 hp Johnsons. It was the same hull as your 1980. Mine ran fine with the 135 and a 15" prop. It could cruise at 25-27 mph and get into the mid 30s at WOT. I used to fish up to 4 people.

I used mine in the Gulf from 1977-1986. That hull is pretty wet for the 2' chop that is common. It will also pound quite a bit in anything over 2'. You just need to pick your days. But it is a very stable hull. Just be sure that the transom and stringers aren't soft.

frayedknot

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm Marc. I just bought a 1980 204c. I think I got a decent deal. I will try to attach pics but it's my first post.
I'm interested in anything about the boat. Especially manuals or websites with specific information or where to find parts.View attachment 19422
The p.o. bought but didnt install the plastic gas tank so that will be one of the first projects and I'm sure I'll have questions.
Its powered by a 1990 johnson 130hp which sounds underpowered to me, but the p.o. said he and his friends used it wakeboarding.
I previously owned a 14' thundercraft tri hull with a 65hp. It was a lake boat.
nice looking.did u have the transom cked for moisture.?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
nice looking.did u have the transom cked for moisture.?
With a boat this old I’d be surprised it didn’t have moisture but that doesn’t mean it’s unusable. Guessing the deal your talking about wasn’t a fraction of what a new Grady would cost so don’t expect or demand perfection. You want it to be safe though.
Trim the motor up high and give the lower unit a little bounce while while watching the transom for flex. No flex is good. From there if it doesn’t have a transom saver plate buy and install one. That’s cheap insurance. Then go have fun with it.
6D093957-B42A-4F6D-A472-D20434B5B11E.jpeg

Mastrouble

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I did the old knock test. It sounded good but I am no professional. Also bounced the motor a bit in tilt and didnt notice flexing.

Reactions: PointedRose

Mastrouble

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I did do the test like you said. Seemed ok. But it does have a transom saver also.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I did the old knock test. It sounded good but I am no professional. Also bounced the motor a bit in tilt and didnt notice flexing.
Would’ve passed my test ;)
Mount a good fuel/water separator in case moisture is getting into the tank and check the bilge often for fuel leaks as boats that age either have had their fuel tanks replaced or are due. Go enjoy it and keep the speed down in the rough stuff.

Mastrouble

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Would’ve passed my test ;)
Mount a good fuel/water separator in case moisture is getting into the tank and check the bilge often for fuel leaks as boats that age either have had their fuel tanks replaced or are due. Go enjoy it and keep the speed down in the rough stuff.
It has a brand new fuel tank that I'll be installing shortly. Thanks for the advice.

CynthiaS

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Congrats on your purchase, Marc! I'm Cynthia, new to this forum, and about to go pick up my "new to me" 1984 204C Overnighter :) I have a feeling we will be trading lots of stories, info and resources as we figure out these boats.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Congrats on your purchase, Marc! I'm Cynthia, new to this forum, and about to go pick up my "new to me" 1984 204C Overnighter :) I have a feeling we will be trading lots of stories, info and resources as we figure out these boats.
Congrats Cynthia - enjoy! I also have an 84

CynthiaS

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Congrats Cynthia - enjoy! I also have an 84
Awesome! I will absolutely be hitting you up for advice, I am sure. I'm a complete novice, so prepare for incoming ridiculous questions :)

Mastrouble

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Awesome! Congratulations Cynthia!
Grady White sent me the owners manual if you need a copy of that.

CynthiaS

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Awesome! Congratulations Cynthia!
Grady White sent me the owners manual if you need a copy of that.
Oh very nice, thank you! Is it more complete or more legible than what's on their website?

Mastrouble

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Not sure.
The site did not list 1980 so I emailed Grady White customer service.
Jamie sent a copy by email and explained that earlier models just had one single manual covering all models.