New owner - quick question

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That boat is the perfect size for you and a couple mates at Bodega Bay and surrounding areas. I ran a 16’7” Boston whaler Montauk there for 25 years and only had one scare. Just yield to the small craft advisories and you will be fine. On an ok day she’ll run out to Point Reyes and on a good day to the Farallons. Plan on chasing Albacore in addition to the Salmon, rock fish and halibut with mine. If you get it or want a ride on mine let me know.

Attachments

• 1CD84DD0-3CE9-4BC8-9DD1-BFFCEC5AABB4.jpeg
    1CD84DD0-3CE9-4BC8-9DD1-BFFCEC5AABB4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Longstreet
L

Longstreet

Its not looking good, shipping the boat to CA, is gonna bust the bank. I might as well drive to San Diego or Seattle and look for a Grady.

I like the idea of the fishing trip .

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Very few come up for sale locally and when they do they go fast. Be ready to jump if one shows up. I was licking my lips with what could be had in New Jersey and Florida. The logistics and shipping is a killer though.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Longstreet,
You likely will have a difficult time getting a good deal from a used 228 Grady on the west coast as Lite Tackle said, unless you hit the luck jackpot, or have a few years and are open to other models.
I paid someone $3,500 to trailer my boat across the US. For me it was piece of mind, although part of me felt like I was pissing away money doing that BUT I basically acquired my 228G for the market price of the used motor that was on it with low hours. So I made my peace.
If you are open to all boat makers, that is a different story.
At any rate, wishing you the best on your journey.
Lee

L

Longstreet

Shipping is looking better.
Half hitch the surveyor you recommended will not be able to look at the boat. Great guy though by reading his emails. Any other marine surveyors that know Gradys and are good guys?

appreciate everyone’s input

best regards

Topjimmy

Reaction score
I tow my 13K 5th wheel with my 2004 2500HD Duramax Short bed and my Grady Tournament so yes it will tow the 26 foot Seafarer NO PROBLEM

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Longstreet,

That boat is located just south of where I live. Should you get to the point of hiring a surveyor, following the advice of Dennis is advisable when he speaks of a "REALLY good surveyor". Be advised that in any tiki bar around here there are self proclaimed "surveyors" spouting their knowledge. The fact that you are a far removed customer they will feel confident in being safe when pulling the wool. Be cautious. Also if you approach marinas or dealers that have their surveyors available, many times when dealing with a long distance client they will issue you a failing grade on a survey of a perfectly good boat then turn around and try to sell you a boat they have broker rights to. Not all are like this but some are and you being in California makes it tough on you. Florida is known for this for a reason. Be suspicious, be wary, be smart.

I know a surveyor that you can trust that lives not too far from that boat you are looking at. He surveyed a boat of mine before it sold to a guy in Australia. I have since recommended him to a member on this Grady club who was looking at a boat here from long distance. He reported back to me that he was very happy with that survey. This surveyor lives about an hours drive from the boat you are interested in so he may have a bit of a mileage charge. He is an independent.

khKW7HPl.jpg
I used Brent to survey my Seafarer last December, he was very thorough and reasonably priced . I would recommend him.
I'm on my second Seafarer 228G and I use it for offshore fishing off Sydney in the pacific often well past the continental self she is very good offshore as far as I'm concerned , of course the bigger the boat boat the better in the sea but harder towing on land.

L

Longstreet

Unfortunately Brent is unable to look at the boat. Does anyone know of anyone else they can recommend in the naples FL area?

Thanks

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Should you decide to go larger, I've towed with quite a few d-max's - that truck would EASILY handle a 26' (and larger).
I have a neighbor who fishes a similar year Wayfarer. Another boat to look at in a similar price point in that year and that Grady is still producing to this day is the 232 Gulfstream. It has a 9"3 beam and rides like a much larger boat. Pulls with a 1500 class truck but will handle a rough ride much better than the Seafarer. Again...as others have said, good survey and hull inspection for delamination. Call Grady in Greenville NC with questions....they are great on helping out with any feedback.

L

Longstreet

just an update..
Seller just let me know he sold the boat to someone else.

appreciate everyones inputs.

Ill keep looking.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with others here. Talking about "ocean capable" is not really possible online or maybe in person. Everyone estimates waves differently and has different standards. Everyone should pick their days in my opinion. The ocean doesn't care how big your boat is. Engine reliability and ideally a backup would be my main concern after I've gone through and inspected and replaced any old thru hulls or scupper hoses.

I have this boat and the rear scuppers are always underwater. If your hoses or hose clamps fail bad things will happen. I believe it would sink but I don't know that for sure.

Long story short, replace the hoses/clamps for cheap piece of mind and maybe add a kicker motor for expensive piece of mind.

Reactions: leeccoll