New owner to the Grady world.

Reel Tight

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a new owner of a 96 Sailfish, twin Yams F-250's, 178 hrs on each. I had some fiberglass work done on it and Pm the boat myself, she is mechanically sound. Going to try it out. I am looking forward to this season in the new to me Sailfish. I am trying to figure what to expect fuel mileage wise with 250 hp 4 strokes, as we are trying to plan our first offshore trip and wanted to know if we can make it, or if we need a fuel bladder. We fish out of Cypremort Point in South Louisiana. 1st trip will be Vermillion Block 50 miles out, 2nd trip South Marsh Island and Eugene Island blocks 90 miles out. Also what is the average mileage range in your sailfish? Curious to see your feed back. Any info is greatly appreciated good or bad! Great to be a new member to the GW community.

Keep the lines Reel Tight, happy fishing.
1996 272 Sail fish, twin Yams F250
2013 199cc Pro Seafox, Yams F150
New Iberia, La

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Sailfish purchase! Fuel usage is subject to a lot of variables, such as rpms, prop size, water conditions, trim set with engines and tabs, load in boat , etc. You're be pushing a lot of weight loaded up, and 500hp should handle that easy enough. I would guestamate that your usage would be in the 1 mile-2 mile per gallon range. You should run your boat a while to determine exactly where the "sweet spot" is where you are at a good cruise speed, using the least amount of fuel, before heading out too far. I believe Yamaha says that around 4100rpms is economical spot with the 250s, but check that yourself. Does boat have fuel management system? If not, fill tank(s)(s), check hour meters, run boat for a few hours at speed, then return and refill. Check gallonage against hour hour meter to get usage. Remember to always keep 1/3 of fuel in reserve and out of the equation when figuring what you'll need to go somewhere. That's for foul weather and unexpected situations. SeaTow or BoatUS is a good idea too!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
congrats on the Sailfish - it is a great boat - I generally get 1.5 and up to 2 depending on water conditions and boat load with F225s

Reel Tight

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. Yes the boat has the fuel management system, if I remember I think the ol boy I bought it from said 3800 rpm is what he used to run them. This is my first boat with fuel management system, so I'm not to familiar with it. Still learning the boat, but enjoying it.