grady7.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,411
  • grady8.jpg
    grady8.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3,411

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
WOW what a difference, looks great! What kind of paint do you use over fibreglass and how is the fibreglass prepared before painting? Thanks, trapper

dale1

Reaction score
thanks.

the sides are interlux perfection plus.
the bottom is vivid bottom paint.

the bottom was much harder than the sides. mainly because i had to strip the old bottom paint. that sucked. overhead work on the trailer. the new paint was rolled on. not to bad.

the sides were cleaned with prep solvent
the thu hull fittings, tow hook, ladder etc was removed. a couple of the tru hulls will test your resolve, or religion.
I wasn't satisfied with the straightness of the hull sides in places. so, I spent several days using polyester putty's and primers with a long bock or board. now the sides are straight.

the prep is pretty simple. remove all the stuff in the way if want to. maybe you could tape around, but I don't know. clean with the proper cleaning materials, and clean some more, bag the boat if your going to spray. sand with 180 paper and a da sander? fill and fix any of the imperfections. I primed with interlux primeKote epoxy primer. Sand with 220wet paper? not sure of the grits. I used what ever their site said.

Next
1. the white stripe was pretty easy. sprayed white and taped that area off.
2. the first coat of blue was tipped and rolled. "not good" probably me, or my technique, but I did not like it.
3. I sanded the first coat down, and shot the second. it was ok, but not great. mainly the heat, and moisture in the air line.
4. sanded it down, installed a better dryer, and waited on the weather to corporate.
5. 3rd coat was good. I like it. My wife likes it, and son-in-law asked me if I bought a new boat. :)

about 600 or 700 bucks? not sure because I spent 3 or 4 months on the project. working after work, and weekends. the white paint was pricey. the blue was about 80 bucks a quart. it covered really well. I could shoot the sides with a half gallon.

dale1

Reaction score
Boat and truck. Notice the Grady white emblems on the truck.

Attachments

• boat and truck.jpg
    boat and truck.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 3,351

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Dale, looks amazing. As I stated with your other projects, you have a talent. Boat looks brand new!

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Dale1 for the painting procedure. Appears well worth the effort and yes I agree it does look like a "NEW BOAT" Maybe one of these days I will giver it a go on my 208. I have a good spray gun ( used for lacquering my woodwork) just have to work up the courage to start and hope it looks half as good as yours. Cheers trapper

dale1

Reaction score
thanks guys. Not sure if it talent, or just dumb luck:)
my wife helped me mix the paint. "that was fun :jaw "
which part of "don't ask any questions is she having trouble with? :-|
just kidding

dale1

Reaction score
the wheels are plasti-dip spray. pretty easy. used wheel cleaner and scuff pads. removed lugs. taped studs. shot several light coats of dark grey, and a couple coats of low gloss clear. been dipped several times this year. still looks good. better than grungy galvanized wheels.

LastChance

Reaction score
That photo was worth sprucing up a bit:

30032805444_b0464079c6_h.jpg

30032805444_d2062428f6_b.jpg

Congrats on a fantastic job.

Jacob

dale1

Reaction score
thanks much. I just finished the foam deck installation. I like it a lot. dale

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks super. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. Are scratches a problem?