new prop for seafarer

capt greg64

Reaction score
I just bought my boat. I'm looking to upgrade the prop to stainless. I need suggestions for the pitch and diameter. I have a 225 Ox66 and want to get out of the hole quicker.

sandgroper

Reaction score
Hi Greg, it is important to observe the recommendation of the motor's manufacturer for eg. if their recommendation is 6000 rpm at wide opened throttle conducted in calm waters, then you should choose a propellor which is as close to that. Otherwise, if rpm exceeds the recommendation, you are likely to shorten the life of the motor apart from excessive fuel consumption. and if the rpm is below the recommendation, it will stuff up your big end of the motor. I would be looking for a 15 x 17" to start off. However, if you are getting the nearest correct rpm, fitting of a hydrofoil will be an asset if you are towing skiers. Best regards.

sandgroper

Reaction score
Hi again Greg, I forgot to add that when you are driving at wot in calm waters, you have to tilt your motor leg up until you can hear cavitation taking place. It sounds like swashing of the water. Tilt the leg down until cavitation ceases, then take note of the rpm. That will be your motors rpm for that hull and that load. Hope that helps

capt greg64

Reaction score
thank you for information i bought this grady used and am learning it on the water prop is featherd going to get refurbished in winter. prop on boat is 17 pitch it is not teribal out of hole,boat is alot heavier then my cc i sold. thanks again this is a great forum.