New Prop. Three blades vs four

F18amec

Reaction score
Want to upgrade stock 3 blade aluminum prop to Stainless Steel. Engine is Yamie 150 4 stroke on 08 208.
Fish of VA Beach, occasionally OBX and troll 90% of time.
Looking for input on pros and cons of each. I know I'm looking at $350-500.
Thanks.in advance

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Call Ken at Propgods, he will dial in your wishes and suggest a prop or two. Otherwise, a 4 blade theoretically "grips" more water and may provide more lift, helping planing or heavy loads (like mine). Yours will be interesting as there's a million options. Can't wait to hear what the others say.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll second the calling Ken option. He hit my setup perfect with a 4 blade recommendation for my F225 on my 228. Very pleased with the performance of it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My understanding is 4 blade usually stronger out of the hole but loss of top end rpms and speed.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
F18: You're in Moyock, NC? Run up the road to Chesapeake VA and see Max at Bay Propeller. I had been using a 3 blade Merc that I wore out in the shallow bottom of the Eastern shore of MD. I called Max, he recommended a 4 blade Power Tech prop that lifts the stern out of the water at fairly low rpm's. I have a 208 also, and this prop might be one of the smartest purchases I ever made for my Grady. Max's Phone is 757.485.5681. Good luck, pm me if you have any questions.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Fishtales said:
My understanding is 4 blade usually stronger out of the hole but loss of top end rpms and speed.

I can turn my 4 blade at 6100 rpm and hit 41-42 mph/GPS. I've only done that once to see if I was propped correctly, 2 people, 50 gal. fuel, no curtains, calm water. I can cruise at 5900rpm/40mph if conditions allow. Good lift, maintains grip in turns, holds plane at slower speeds.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
Fishtales said:

I can turn my 4 blade at 6100 rpm and hit 41-42 mph/GPS. I've only done that once to see if I was propped correctly, 2 people, 50 gal. fuel, no curtains, calm water. I can cruise at 5900rpm/40mph if conditions allow. Good lift, maintains grip in turns, holds plane at slower speeds.

My experience with 4 blades is similar. I can't see myself going back to 3 blades.

F18amec

Reaction score
Hotajax unfortunately Bay Propeller has closed. P-TOWN Trailer Supply has taken over building.
Will contact Propgods.
Thanks y'al!

Ratical

Reaction score
Your right on Angler Management..... The way it was explained to me was no slip or not as much. 4 blade creates stern lift, out of the hole faster and allow you to plain off at lower speed and keep you on plain at a lower speed.
Let me put it to ya like this. Its like running in cleats on a ball field. Then you get on a nice calm smooth surface you get beat to home plate by someone in running shoes. Its all about conditions and what your willing to give up.

On plain lower RPM saves $
Stern lift not so much tab save $
Or speed that cost money just sayin

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ratical said:
Your right on Angler Management..... The way it was explained to me was no slip or not as much. 4 blade creates stern lift, out of the hole faster and allow you to plain off at lower speed and keep you on plain at a lower speed.
Let me put it to ya like this. Its like running in cleats on a ball field. Then you get on a nice calm smooth surface you get beat to home plate by someone in running shoes. Its all about conditions and what your willing to give up.

On plain lower RPM saves $
Stern lift not so much tab save $
Or speed that cost money just sayin

I concur with you. Nice hole shot is cool, for sure. But why test the engine on WOT for extended periods? It's a fishing boat, you're not smuggling bourbon and cigars.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If I need WOT, I know what that is. I don't run WOT. I run probably mid range, 25-30 mph coming and going to my fishing spot, which is were most everyone else runs. The Grady's are heavy, not a speed boat. I just want to make sure I'm getting all the performance out of my motor and not leaving anything on the table, and with the setup/prop I'm running, I'm satisfied that I'm at that point.

Ratical

Reaction score
What size prop are you running KY Grady, I have a 14.25X19 to try this weekend. Do you think ill be in the ball park.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
If I need WOT, I know what that is. I don't run WOT. I run probably mid range, 25-30 mph coming and going to my fishing spot, which is were most everyone else runs. The Grady's are heavy, not a speed boat. I just want to make sure I'm getting all the performance out of my motor and not leaving anything on the table, and with the setup/prop I'm running, I'm satisfied that I'm at that point.

KY: Not disagreeing with you. I'm just stating what works for me. Personally, I have no interest in a drag race out there, either. Like you, my speed over ground at 25 mph seems to be optimum mix for fuel burn and time spent getting to my fishing spot. Depending on water / wind conditions, rpm's are in the mid-40's.

F18amec

Reaction score
Talked with Ken at Propgods and he recommended 17 pitch Powertech REL3 for what I'm looking for. So be going with his recommendation soon as I have the funds.
Thanks for pointing me in right direction. Going out this weekend hoping for a good haul of blues and maybe a Spanish or two!

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
F18amec said:
Talked with Ken at Propgods and he recommended 17 pitch Powertech REL3 for what I'm looking for. So be going with his recommendation soon as I have the funds.
Thanks for pointing me in right direction. Going out this weekend hoping for a good haul of blues and maybe a Spanish or two!

3 or 4 blades? Whatever your choice, Power Tech is a good solid performer, and you don't have to pay extra to pay for marketing like you would if you were buying a Merc prop or some other nationally known brand. And it is compatible with Merc hub kits. Good luck with it.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack thread, but while you guys are on the subject, can anyone recommend a stainless prop for '89 204c with Evinrude OceanPro 200? If I'm hijacking, I'll delete this and start new thread, Thanks

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
CJ7Rob, call Ken at PropGods. Some guys have the exact same boat/engine setup but do different things and need more or less of something in trade for that sweet spot. Ken guides you through questions and suggests. Good return policy.

Also, Fishtales, I do definitely get more lift. With the 3 blades I trimmed the motors out a decent amount, now it's just a small amount they seem to almost suck the boat up out of the wate. I'm sure this improves hole shot too, but I don't really notice hole shot, maybe a second or two, but not what I care about too much except in a fully loaded boat situation. And I do get the same WOT RPM as before, because if not you may be overloading the engines with too large of pitch or diameter. My speed is actually the same at WOT, although my GPMi has gone down 0.1

The other things I notice is my speed/rpm on plane can be lower due to the lift, AND my sweet spot for fuel/rpm/speed is about 2kts lower. But these are both desireable for me in the PNW with the gray days and gray logs and square waves. I'd prefer the sweet spot to be 25-28kts, not 30+.

But hey. It's all a compromise.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
hotajax said:
Ky Grady said:

KY: Not disagreeing with you. I'm just stating what works for me. Personally, I have no interest in a drag race out there, either. Like you, my speed over ground at 25 mph seems to be optimum mix for fuel burn and time spent getting to my fishing spot. Depending on water / wind conditions, rpm's are in the mid-40's.

Didn't take it as that at all hotajax. Just splainin' a little further. I'm a cruiser kind of guy, will run WOT if need be to try and outrun a storm.