New Rochelle to Cape Cod Trip

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi guy, brother in-law just bought a 2004 Sailfish right on the CT/NY border. This is the same boat as mine except with different electronics. The boat will be at a Marina in New Seabury on Cape Cod. He has invited me to join him when he bring the boat up to the cape running up the shore. I have experience with Buzzards Bay but not Long Island sound. Can any one give me insight as to best and worst winds, how far off shore to chart a course in the sound. Have not got a chance to analyze charts yet as my current set only covers to just south on Martha Vineyard. I wont be able to get to my boat to read te GPS until this weekend. We estimate the trip to be about 90 miles and we are looking to get in done in very long day. Thanks for any insight.

eppem

Reaction score
I keep a boat just east of you in Norwalk - like anything, best if you can pick and chose your days. The LIS is a great body of water but she is a nasty sob when the wind kicks up. 10-15s out of the east or west can lead to a really nasty chop and if wind is against the tide do expect a sore back. We have come back from Montauk and made the turn around the Gut and had some of those "why am I doing this" rides.

So, find a day when you have no wind or lite and variables. If not try to have the wind and tide at your back and try to run early in the AM or late in the day when the winds tend to die down. I have ran as far east as Niantic along the shoreline. Nothing uber to worry about, do note at old saybrook the flats off the litehouse do jut out pretty far and you can run inside of Faulkner's. Its all clearly marked and always a good idea to look at a chart before hand and have it handy if needed (or if electronics crap out). Its a pretty ride too and if you have time do a few drifts for fluke, lots of great places to fish along the way.

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just ran my new (to me) Marlin from Norwalk to Cuttyhunk (and then up to Boston). Had a great ride.

Check the distance as I am sure it is a good bit further than the 90 you mention -- closer to 150+.

I used Garmin BlueChart on my iPad to plan the trip (moved route to my Garmin on the boat, but that is optional).

Good luck!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks guys appreciate the input. My biggest concern is taking a new boat for a 100+ mile trip up the coast. Guess it is a good way to find the bugs :) :) - It has been surveyed and boat checked out. Sounds like the sound acts a lot like Buzzards Bay in west winds

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
If you don't know how old or the source of the fuel that's in the boat, or how often the tanks were provided with fresh fuel by former owner . . .

Bring an entire kit of new fuel filters, and bring an extra pair of Yamaha 10 micron water separating filters. And have the tools and know-how on how to change them on-board.

Our new-to-us last spring Grady 282 came with a disclaimer that they had pumped bad fuel out of the main tank, and had reverted to using only the reserve tank for regular operation. So we had the task of removing and mopping the roughly 8 gallons of water, wax, and sludge out of the bottom of the main tank before we trusted running fresh fuel with ample additives out of it.

We opted for a trailer delivery rather than trying to run the boat form southern NJ to RI, because we were that concerned with fuel issues in the first bit of our ownership. Wouldn't be fun to end up with a fuel related "all-stop" somewhere between long island sound and the cape.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Sharkbait282 said:
If you don't know how old or the source of the fuel that's in the boat, or how often the tanks were provided with fresh fuel by former owner . . .

Bring an entire kit of new fuel filters, and bring an extra pair of Yamaha 10 micron water separating filters. And have the tools and know-how on how to change them on-board.

Our new-to-us last spring Grady 282 came with a disclaimer that they had pumped bad fuel out of the main tank, and had reverted to using only the reserve tank for regular operation. So we had the task of removing and mopping the roughly 8 gallons of water, wax, and sludge out of the bottom of the main tank before we trusted running fresh fuel with ample additives out of it.

We opted for a trailer delivery rather than trying to run the boat form southern NJ to RI, because we were that concerned with fuel issues in the first bit of our ownership. Wouldn't be fun to end up with a fuel related "all-stop" somewhere between long island sound and the cape.

Good advice!
read the last couple of posts in this thread for more info about potential fuel issues:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23829

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sharkbait282 said:

Sharkbait - great advice, Do you mind me asking how much it cost you to trailer the boat from Tom's River to RI. My brother in-law is getting quotes from 1,200 to 3,200 for a transport from New Rochelle to New Seabury on Cape Cod. It is probably about the same distance or a bit less mileage than your haul.

Thanks

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
This was specifically Somers Point, NJ, to Brewers Wickford Cove, Wickford, RI, 2002 282 Sailfish. I went down a week before transport to remove canvas and prep boat for highway.

Quotes were
$1500. lift to lift on their trailer including permits, OSP Transport (I think)
$1200. lift to lift on their trailer including permits, Billy Burke (Newport RI local)

I think I had another quote that was over the $2k mark, but I can't find the details. We went with Billy Burke and it happened to align with his spring transport schedule running up and down the coast from FL to New England, so I think the timing helped the cost.

Bob.