New Seafarer

Myj314

Reaction score
Hello I recently purchased a 226 seafarer with a Honda 225 on the back, I was wondering if I could get any feedback on what are good fishing uses for this boat, how far out in the ocean that anyone thinks is reasonable, what fishing reccomendations you have, and any information you would be willing to share good or bad about the seafarer so i can have a good first season with this boat.

Thank you.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My first boat was an 1988 228G with hardtop. Mullet has restored it and posts here frequently. It is a great boat. If you pick your days and have all safety equipment,, there is no reason why you cannot fish up to around 40 nm out. Good luck.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a 1992 for 10 years..It was the bracketed version (228G) with a 250 Saltwater Series Yamaha.
They are trailerable, versatile rigs. I overnited in the cabin a lot(that's part of the fun for me,) and they're real stable for their size.
The sea state and weather dictates how far offshore you can run, not the boat. Anything over 3 footers will affect the Seafarer and most other Gradys for that matter.
Yes, you can push them thru much more, but it stops being fun...

okletsfish

Reaction score
I have a 228 and I concider very seaworthy.When running off shore pick your days but that advice would apply to any boat..Having a single engine keep it well maintained. :wink:

Korona

Reaction score
I have an '81 Grady 220 Bimini (early version of the Seafarer) with a single 200 HPDI and take it offshore regularily out of Hatteras, Oregon Inlet and Virginia Beach. 25 to 40NM out are normal runs, but I've had it out to 60NM. Just like everybody's said a thousand times on here...keep a close eye on the weather and don't hesitate to make that hard decision to head back west when you're not sure.

Rickysa

Reaction score
I'm not so sure I'd be quite that aggressive...unless you are fishing with another boat (which I'm sure most do)...Even on the flattest day, if your single engine craps out...eek...

Mainly due to the limited range of your VHF due to height. When I first had my Seafarer offshore, I called Sea-Tow on the way out and asked if their work load would permit several radio checks as I went out...they were very cooperative. Things got kinda weak quicker than I thought.

Where I fish, there are always a bunch of boats in the same general location, so I could likely get in touch with someone if need be (out of Morehead NC)

I think of the boat as more of an inshore platform....15-20nm on a good day.

Rick