New Tank Leak

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I found my leak...........it wasn't the sender. There is a void in the weld on the fitting for the supply tube.
Can I fix this with something like MarineTex? Or will gas brealk it down?

TankProblem.jpg

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
'84Offshore, Hello again! Now thats my kind of luck! All that hard work to remove and replace that old fuel tank. There may be a better product to use but, I know that you can plug that little seep with JB Weld or a similar product. it will bond very well to that nice clean new aluminum that you have there with the new tank. The good thing is the leak is on top of the tank and not down lower on a seam weld. Good Luck Buddy! 8)

Ken

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If it's a new tank, it guaranteed not to leak, they screwed up when they welded it, probably a porous weld. My 19 yr old gas tanks have no leaks whatsoever.

That's why everything is supposed to be tested and quality assured, nonetheless, and coating you use will eventually loose adhesion, don't settle for coatings - only as temp repair, but don't do it yourself.
Don't agree to anything.

They should send you and the boat to a shop prepaid and have a another new tank installed, and do it w/o delay, and with thier apologies.

Don't attempt any repairs yourself to protect youself, the tank is dangerous as is and their responsibilty unless you damaged it upon installation.
Discuss with your lawyer who can send out a letter, means a lot at other end. You would be surprised.

Good luck.