new to boating-

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It was neither offered, nor presented as "expert advise", it is the internet, and most of us are adults. If there is a level of expertise required here, please define it, along with your own. There was a sentence that preceded your abandon ship point................"One thing that I’ve realized is that there is no average trailer or average boat height on a trailer, they vary. But, I’ve scoured some forums and made a list of different boat heights on trailers based on what some boat owners shared, and here they are:............"

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Glacier, in case there was a question, my repsonse was not directed in any way towards you. It was just in general agreement to Mustang about the commonality of so-called "experts" on forums. Which, again, is not in response to anything you, personally, said.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang, in case it helps for next time...

View attachment 24152

That said, I don't disagree one bit with your sentiment. Self proclaimed "experts" on subjects, even though the only experience they may have is reading someone else's response on a forum... which may or may not be accurate to start with. Then you get the whole "whisper down the alley" effect happening. Come to think of it, can I borrow your box? ;)
Exactly... "I heard from my friends brother's, uncle's, cousin's step daughter that's twice removed's, dogs former roommate in college's ex wife's grandpa mentioned that he remembered hearing from someone..." :D

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It was neither offered, nor presented as "expert advise", it is the internet, and most of us are adults. If there is a level of expertise required here, please define it, along with your own. There was a sentence that preceded your abandon ship point................"One thing that I’ve realized is that there is no average trailer or average boat height on a trailer, they vary. But, I’ve scoured some forums and made a list of different boat heights on trailers based on what some boat owners shared, and here they are:............"
I understand. I'm not trying to argue and I definitely don't consider myself to be an expert or have any significant expertise with boats, cars or really anything... just my experiences and what I've learned over the years. As stated in my above comment, I typically take what people say on forums as 50/50, or ballpark figures, and then adjust accordingly from there... or at least prepare myself for adjusting here and there in the event that something doesn't always turn out as others say it should. I remember on the Vintage Mustang forums where guys were talking about blowing up stock T5 (5spd) transmissions out of 1980's mustangs behind a stock 289/302 motor and said that because I have a T5 behind my 351w with over twice the horsepower and torque of a stock 289/302, that I definitely will as well. When I asked if they could elaborate and if they were the ones that specifically "blew up" the transmission, the topic would either be changed or they'd say "no, it was a buddy's car" or something along those lines. To this day, I still have that transmission behind that motor and haven't blown it up, and although I don't side step the clutch at 6k rpm on a daily basis, I definitely don't drive her like a grandma either.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Many years ago I helped my brother in law build a garage with a 12' door.
My 265 express with hardtop sits 13' on a trailer...sadness....:(

I can't imagine a 23 bowrider with a top is going to be anywhere near 12'
I can imagine that a garage that can fit a 12' door is a lot cheaper than one that fits a 14' door

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
In my opinion, as the owner of a 192 who's been boating for decades, the 235 is a lot of boat for somebody just starting out. I have a good friend with a similarly sized Seaswirl to the 235 (and not quite as heavy as the GW 235) and it was a lot for him to handle as a first boat and he was frequently frustrated trying to dock, beach, maneuver the boat. He didn't use the boat last season and he intends to trade it in for something smaller soon. Just something to think about. Getting used to the "rules of the road" and all that goes with boating on a smaller/lighter boat like an 18-20' center console for a season or two might be worth a thought. Some of it may depend on who you'll generally be boating with in terms of "crew" and their ability to chip in (grab dock lines, help with navigating, etc.), whether you'll be out alone a lot, etc.

Reactions: PointedRose