New to forum - question I/O to bracket/outboard?

Schmidty72

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
On the advice from some in other forums I was told this would be the place to ask any and all questions about Grady's. The short story on me - I'm in the research phase of buying my first boat (used boat - purchase likely no earlier than January 2009). The amount of research one could do is baffling . . . but, I've narrowed down my search to include GW's.

My question today is - has anyone here ever converted and I/O to a full transom with bracket? When my buddy was a kid, his pop did that on an older Grady and he said it worked out pretty good. Along the same line of thought - does anyone have any opinions on:

- issues with weight of motors?
- min boat size to do this ? (the idea came from a really cheap 24ft I saw on craigslist - sorry, I can't remember the model and the ad was removed from craigslist presumably because it was sold)
- Grady bracket vs. other bracket brands?
- At what point would an individual like myself with good mechanical skills, and with friends with decent boat renovation experience hand the conversion process over to a pro?

Finally, is this even a good idea?

Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks, Bob

seasick

Reaction score
Tricky at best. Two major issues, the ability of the current transom to handle the load ( remember, it wasn't originally designed for that load) and the balance of the vessel after the change. The balance is critical. Removing the i/o will bring the stern up and hanging the OB will bring it down but I don't think one will cancel the other especially if a 4 stroke is rigged The fuel tank may need to be moved to help the trim.
Unless you find someone who has successfully made the change to the same hull, I personally, would be hesitant to attemp the job at least for my primary boat. As a project boat, maybe......

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Clasic Mako does go into things like that.

There's a few questions/items consernig the change:

Why? You can replace the outdrive and motor for less than the cost of an outboard. Plus the outboard versions usually have more gas capacity.

That 24' is probalby cheap for a reason.

Grady didn't manufacture brackets they just bought them. Which one to use can be a whole topic in itself.

What's the budget?

Any I/O model had an equal outboard version. Outboards weigh less but have more leverage when hung on a bracket. Older models are generally not the best choices for 4 strokes (a 24' can handle a single 300 but stay with 4 cyl if twins).

I'd redo the transom at the least (there's post here of someones rebuild). So if a boat has a shot transom it doesn't relly matter to you and you can get a decent deal.

And again, why buy one you have to change when there's one already done from the factory? It's a buyers market.

Schmidty72

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First off, I am no expert, if that isn't already obvious.

Why consider it? - something desirable to me is really reliable power - I realize used motors can live a long time after purchase and be cheaper in the long run (and I'm not ruling that out), but new power will at the least be under warranty and is more likely to be reliable. Given that opinion - I'm finding in my searches for used boats that GW's with outboard power are more expensive than I/O's - also, but more importantly I'm finding that I/O's in need of a repower are much, much cheaper than comparable models in need of a new outboard. So, the thought came from my buddy's experience and what I've seen in terms of price between comparable models of used boats that this could be a cost effective way of getting a decent used hull with new power.

So, what it seems to me is that the process isn't as simple as I may have been led to believe and likely isn't really going to get me where I wanted to be. I figured as much - I just thought it better to ask. Thanks for the input.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Presuming the motor on bracket works out load wise, the old Grady may need more wood restoration work than actually filling the outdrive hole and drilling holes for mouting a bracket.

As was stated, if the boat hull was also offered in a bracket version, as many models used to offer different configurations for same hull, then you are in like flint. Check the GradyWhite website models of the year you are thinking of for such info, they have the original catalogs.

This is more important IMHO than the 2 vs. 4 stroke discussion, to follow, and a lot more important than which drive manuf. to use.

JeffN

Reaction score
I recently repowered my 25' Kingfish and went through the same process. The change the boat to a bracket option was crossed off the list pretty early. I know what my boat handles like with the I/O - changing to a bracket and outboards had too many unknowns for me. It just seemd like changing the center of gravity, balance, etc. was to much of a risk - maybe it would work but if I did not like the result I would be stuck. Also in the end I spent less on the I/O repower than what I was looking at for outboards. I went from twin 170 HP Mercruisers to a single 375 HP 496 CI. I love the result. Should have done it a few years earlier but thats OK. What boat are you looking at, you may find you can repower with the I/O for resonable money. Have the transom checked well during the survey!!!

choogenboom

Reaction score
There are alot of older grady outboard powered models for sale with original power and are ready to be repowered. There is no need to punish yourself by going down the path of converting an I/O to outboard. Since you are not in a rush, bide your time and the right one will come along. You'll have more than enough fun projects associated with repowering and restoring an older boat. Good Luck!

Chris